Colyton Grammar Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Denege

Re: Colyton Grammar Appeal

Post by Denege »

Dear Etienne ,

After national offer date we submitted additional preference form for some Devon County schools.
As we didn't have an address there we couldn't mention any school in Devon in CAF.
My son was eligible for CGS and it was our first preference. He was not offered a place and I will appeal. My question is:
I didn't mention CGS on my additional preference form by assuming he will go automatically to the waiting list.
Will my additional preferences abolish my place on waiting list for CGS??

Thanks in advance.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Denege wrote:Dear Etienne ,

After national offer date we submitted additional preference form for some Devon County schools.
As we didn't have an address there we couldn't mention any school in Devon in CAF.
My son was eligible for CGS and it was our first preference. He was not offered a place and I will appeal. My question is:
I didn't mention CGS on my additional preference form by assuming he will go automatically to the waiting list.
Will my additional preferences abolish my place on waiting list for CGS??

Thanks in advance.
Hi

I think you will have to ask the LA to make certain there has been no misunderstanding about what you want your preferences to be.
Etienne
Denege

Post by Denege »

Thank you very much.
Denege

Post by Denege »

Achievements to be mentioned in appeal letter.

My son passed first stage of Tiffin School but not offered a place after second exam.

He passed the entry exam of Exeter School which is an independent secondary school. We applied for bursary but it was not accepted. It is not possible for us to afford the fee of the school.
If I mention a/m points, is it likely that panel members consider these as an evidence for achievement.
Or; is it considered as negative as he was not offered a place at another grammar school.
Or might the panel members think that we are not desperately need a place at CGS as we may have a chance to send our child to a good school?
Denege

Post by Denege »

Year 5 report
In his Y5 report his English is stated as "Secured" although his summer term assessment results were showing Greater in depth standard. But I can not obtain those results from the school. Due to school closings and to have 2 teachers in Y5 ( first teacher went to maternity leave), I believe the reports were not different from Y4.
His expected achievements in all subjects for end of Year6 are all at greater in depth standard. ( I obtained supporting letter from the school.)
Shall I mention this in my letter or shall I leave it to the hearing when the panel asks about it?
Thank you so much.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Denege wrote:Achievements to be mentioned in appeal letter.

My son passed first stage of Tiffin School but not offered a place after second exam.

He passed the entry exam of Exeter School which is an independent secondary school. We applied for bursary but it was not accepted. It is not possible for us to afford the fee of the school.
If I mention a/m points, is it likely that panel members consider these as an evidence for achievement.
Or; is it considered as negative as he was not offered a place at another grammar school.
Or might the panel members think that we are not desperately need a place at CGS as we may have a chance to send our child to a good school?
It does perhaps beg the question "Which school does the parent really want?" but I can't really add anything to the answer I've already given in the Q&As ("Is it worth mentioning at appeal my child’s good results in other 11+ tests?").
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Denege wrote:Year 5 report
In his Y5 report his English is stated as "Secured" although his summer term assessment results were showing Greater in depth standard. But I can not obtain those results from the school. Due to school closings and to have 2 teachers in Y5 ( first teacher went to maternity leave), I believe the reports were not different from Y4.
His expected achievements in all subjects for end of Year6 are all at greater in depth standard. ( I obtained supporting letter from the school.)
Shall I mention this in my letter or shall I leave it to the hearing when the panel asks about it?
Thank you so much.
I would suggest mentioning it at the hearing when you discuss your case. (Don't wait for the panel to ask because they may not.)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now