Colyton Grammar Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Denege

Colyton Grammar Appeal

Post by Denege »

I hope you are keeping calm when 1st of March is approaching.
My DC received an eligible score at Colyton Grammar School test. But I think there is a risk of not having a place due to oversubscription. I am planning to appeal. I read previous years' appeal cases which are immensely helpful.

I would like to learn whether the school accepted any pupil over its PAN. I have already asked to Devon Council about this. Is LA holding this info? If not, is the school
obliged to answer this question?

I would like to hear your comments about working with an appeal advisor.

Thanks in advance.
yoyo123

Re: Colyton Grammar Appeal

Post by yoyo123 »

There is an excellent Q&A section on appeals

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well worth a read.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :D
Denege wrote:I would like to hear your comments about working with an appeal advisor.
Yoyo has referred you to the Appeal Q&As. The question about advisers is discussed here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Denege wrote:Is LA holding this info? If not, is the school obliged to answer this question?
Not sure exactly how the question was framed, but the school rather than the LA is the admission authority, so it should hold information relating to previous years, and as an academy it is a public body and obliged to respond to FOI requests.
There is some general advice on FOI included in response to a different question here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Denege

Post by Denege »

Thank you so much for your replies.
Denege

Post by Denege »

Dear Etienne,
One of my twin boys was offered a place. Unfortunately , his twin couldn't although he gained an eligible score. As I mentioned before I will appeal. Headteacher suggested to put the test results (ex SAT's) of both in her letter. The twin who could not secure s place has better results.
I would like to ask your advice about this.
Thank you very much for your support again.
I think I will have lots of questions to ask soon.
Arzu
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Denege wrote:One of my twin boys was offered a place. Unfortunately , his twin couldn't although he gained an eligible score. As I mentioned before I will appeal. Headteacher suggested to put the test results (ex SAT's) of both in her letter. The twin who could not secure s place has better results.
I would like to ask your advice about this.
This should be all right.
Etienne
Denege

Post by Denege »

Dear Etienne,
Thank you so much for your support in this forum.
What kind of questions the panel does ask to the presenting officer in part 1 in case of oversubscription? Does the panel ask the presenting officer about admission over PAN in the past years or any new building to effect net capacity? Or should the appellant challenge the presenting officer with these questions?

We are considering to try 12+. If I mention about this, does is cause any advantage or disadvantage?

Thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Denege wrote: What kind of questions the panel does ask to the presenting officer in part 1 in case of oversubscription? Does the panel ask the presenting officer about admission over PAN in the past years or any new building to effect net capacity?
It is entirely up to individual panel members what questions they ask about the school case - but if further information is required (e.g. the impact of a new building), or if there are any apparent weaknesses in the case, it is likely that they will want to raise these issues with the PO.
Or should the appellant challenge the presenting officer with these questions?
See the Q&As, C1 (b). Questions.
We are considering to try 12+. If I mention about this, does is cause any advantage or disadvantage?
Neither - it's not relevant.
Etienne
Denege

Post by Denege »

Dear Etienne,

The LA I will submit my appeal suggested to send my letter and supporting documents online. Should I also send them by post?
Should I send 5 copies of them?

Can I submit my appeal first as an outline online and then prepare a well thought out submission?

If I learn from FOI or from the school than the school has admitted pupils over itsadmission number in the past, should I mention it in my letter or should I wait for hearing?

Thanks for showing patience to all my silly questions. I just want to be sure; I find assumuor guessing very risky.
Thank you so much for your help.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Denege wrote:The LA I will submit my appeal suggested to send my letter and supporting documents online. Should I also send them by post?
No.
Can I submit my appeal first as an outline online and then prepare a well thought out submission?
There is a deadline for sending in additional information - they ought to tell you what it is.

In any case, it would be better to submit a single submission if you can.
If I learn from FOI or from the school than the school has admitted pupils over itsadmission number in the past, should I mention it in my letter or should I wait for hearing?
I see no point in mentioning it in your letter because, even if they have gone over their admission number, there are no grounds for thinking they have done anything incorrectly.
It would just be a question to ask at the hearing: "What was the reason?"
and "How did you cope with the extra numbers?"
Thanks for showing patience to all my silly questions. I just want to be sure; I find assumuor guessing very risky.
Thank you so much for your help.
You're welcome!
Etienne