Appeal for WHSB Grammar Place

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lottie

Post by lottie »

Hi All

What needed to be said about 'paragraphs' has now been said, and hopefully has been beneficial / constuctive critism. Overall, i think Amex has gained a lot of excellent advice in regard to his/her situation, and I have seen perplexed offer lots of excellent advice to other postings. I don't think that Amex usually omits para's, but as Etienne says, they probably wasn't aware of how their post would appear on the forum. Has anyone been watching GMTV, they seem to have alot of stories about unhappy parents and children not getting places, and being under the wrong impression that they have the right to choose a school (as most of us know, it's a preference not a choice). They had an appeals expert on this morning (I only caught the end part - so didn't catch the name), I did hear them say though that about 1 third of appeals are successful, but this is wrong it is a lot less in different parts of the uk and it depends on what sort of school you're appealing to. Is anyone having problems reading this, or finding it very hard!? Well it doesn't matter too much if you find it hard or not for me as I am not going through an appeals process, trying to seek as much advice from others as possible. if I was I would like someone to help me out and tell me to use 'me para's'.

One thing i'm sure we all agree on..............

Good luck to Amex and hopefully he/she has a successful appeal.

Lottie
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :!:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Lottie wrote:Is anyone having problems reading this, or finding it very hard!?
:lol:

I hadn't quite reached that sentence before I started to mutter darkly about paragraph breaks!

Sally-Anne
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

they seem to have alot of stories about unhappy parents and children not getting places, and being under the wrong impression that they have the right to choose a school (as most of us know, it's a preference not a choice)
lottie you're so right! We are given the impression that we are now able to chose which school our children go to. In September/October of year 5 we all dutifully trudge around all the "local" schools (some far from local!), making notes & comparisons. Only to find out on allocation day that what you put on your CAF was totally irrelevant and you are almost always offered your "priority " school regardless of your listed preferences.

This has only become clear to me now - having been through the process this year. I have many friends who naively listed their genuine preferences and have been sadly disappointed.

As for paragraph breaks (and other punctuation); I quite enjoy the challenge of a meaty passage without any.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I can share the disappointment with many people of not getting into either the primary or secondary school that would be my first choice. I will experience this from my address at both primary and secondary school application time.

However, I find it very hard to believe that there are many people who are taking the trouble to traipse around distant schools who have so totally failed to understand a school admissions system that has been around in England for many years now.

The majority of schools and LEAs have for many years now had admissions policies which are based primarily on how far from the school that you live. There are frequent articles in the news about how house prices are higher close to a good and popular school as some people move close to a school in order to guarantee themselves a place there.

There are admissions booklets sent out by LEAs to every parent which explain the process, there are LEA websites, and government websites which explain it too. And there are many locals who will tell you how difficult it is to get into certain schools unless you live close to them.

I do not know who is leading people to believe that you can get into any state school that you may wish to choose, but I have received no information ever to tell me that this is the case, and if someone said it to me I would think "how could that be? A very popular school could not possibly accommodate everyone that happened to apply in any particular year".

Sorry if this sounds blunt, but it does amaze me if this is the case. I could understand it in a poor and illiterate community, but these are not the circumstances of people traipsing round distant schools.

It's great to have a grumble on this website, but sometimes the content is a bit of a waste of space.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Who was that diatribe aimed at Perplexed?

Your behaviour is becoming quite bizarre and is putting people off posting.

Please mods - could you do something??
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What a bizarre post perplexed!

If you could predict which schools you might be offered that would be great!

Locally the profile of entries is very different from year to year - some years my child would have got in to one school and not got a place in the same school the next year. It is NOT a transparent picture -

You don't have to post on this website - my child is on Year 9 now and I stay around to help other people as we got NO school offered not even our catchment school.
banksy1

Post by banksy1 »

Well said Guest 55 and Charlotte. This post is going round in circles I don't think any amount of smileys will do now !!!
Also people put there closest school but still getting offered nothing on there form I know of hlf a dozen people who have been offered schools upto 23 miles away!! All because of over subscription. :lol: :lol:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's a pity that we cannot debate the issues without attacking other people.