11+ Test Late Result : Qualified - Next steps ?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

deeps79

Re: 11+ Test Late Result : Qualified - Next steps ?

Post by deeps79 »

hermanmunster wrote:I think that some people take the late test in the primary school and some in centres set up by the LEA - I was just wondering of that had any impact on the timing of the test / results getting through

Have you got any paperwork / correspondence about the timing of the test? If so the Mods would be happy to have a look at it - I can send you an e-mail address for our "appeals box" via private message - also might be useful if there was a bit of a timeline eg when was the test requested (and who requested it) and when it was agreed by the LEA etc

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We have everything documented over email and i am right now creating that timeline. I can share that over email with you. Please share the mail id.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I have sent you a private message - the link to your messages is top left of the screen
deeps79

Post by deeps79 »

Hi Everyone
We are planning to file for appeal now.

We plan to submit :-
1) Cover letter
2) Letter from Principal - (Primary School)
3) Timeline with annotations toward the mails that were exchanged with council.
4) First page + Last page of tenancy agreement showing that we are within 0.5M of school.

Should we add a note on Child's disappointment on missing out the list even though she has qualified ?

Thanks a lot Herman for guidance. Look forward to input from other learned members/moderators.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

deeps79 wrote:Hi Everyone
We are planning to file for appeal now.

We plan to submit :-
1) Cover letter
2) Letter from Principal - (Primary School)
3) Timeline with annotations toward the mails that were exchanged with council.
4) First page + Last page of tenancy agreement showing that we are within 0.5M of school.

Should we add a note on Child's disappointment on missing out the list even though she has qualified ?
Hi

There should be two parts to your appeal:
(a) the admission arrangements
(b) reasons for wanting a place at this grammar school

There is no cover letter - you are making a statement online.

For (a) you should simply write "We would ask the panel to consider whether the admission arrangements were correctly applied in this case and, if not, whether our daughter should have been offered a place. Please see attached Appendix 1 (timeline), and Appendix 2 (correspondence with Admissions). We would draw your attention to the fact that ......... "

Keep it brief and to the point.
As far as possible let the evidence speak for itself.

(b) Focus strictly on the advice we give here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Avoid mistakes such as thinking the more you write, the stronger your case will be!

A common mistake would be to waste the panel's time by mentioning your daughter's academic record - she has already qualified, so it's not an issue for the panel.

Another common mistake would be to waste the panel's time by saying how great she is at extra-curricular activities - unless the school offers something for which she has a proven aptitude. In other words, if it's one of your reasons for wanting a place at the school.

Don't include a letter of support from the headteacher unless it is to back up your reasons for wanting a place.
I'm afraid that in this situation there's a risk the headteacher will make the same mistake as the parent, and cannot resist the temptation to write about academic ability, character, extra-curricular activities, when the only thing that matters are reasons for wanting a place at this school.
A letter from the headteacher could be attached as Appendix 3 if it follows the advice given here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(If you're not sure whether the letter is suitable, you can send it to the Appeals Box and we'll have a look.)
I wouldn't normally say 'yes' to this as it's not relevant. However, exceptionally, I think you could argue 'prejudice to the child' and briefly point out "It was such an achievement to sit the test successfully, not having been long in the country, and with almost no preparation. Naturally she is so very disappointed not to have been offered her preferred school. An alternative grammar school in Aylesbury, even if she were to be offered a place, would take her far from her comfort zone, when she is only just beginning to settle in her local area and establish local friendships."
First page + Last page of tenancy agreement showing that we are within 0.5M of school.
If this is to support reasons for wanting a place (proximity to school), yes, it could be Appendix 4.
However, proximity to school is unlikely to be a compelling argument. There could be 15-20 other appellants with stronger reasons, and to be realistic I doubt whether more than a few appeals at most will be upheld.

You have until 28th March to submit an appeal. Take your time - make sure you get it right!
Etienne
deeps79

Post by deeps79 »

Hi Etienne
Thanks a lot for giving detailed guidelines. This is extremely valuable advice and we would align our appeal as per it.

Let us draft the appeal and we will surely like to share it on appeal box.

Thank you for all your support.

cheers
deeps79

Post by deeps79 »

Hi Hermanmunster, scarymum and Etienne
Today after second round, we received the confirmation for our preferred Grammar school.

Thanks a lot for so much support that you all have provided to us here. We are eternally grateful for advice and information given here on the group.

I believe now we have to withdraw our appeal. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

deeps79 wrote:Today after second round, we received the confirmation for our preferred Grammar school.
Wonderful news! :D

Suggest you email the Appeals Team - just to make sure they know.
Etienne
deeps79

Post by deeps79 »

Hi Eitenne
Thank you :)
you all are doing a wonderful job here.
Sure, we will mail them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now