Appeals evidence from school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No, this is not what usually happens, and it would serve no useful purpose as they cannot delay the decision letter.

Regards
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:No, this is not what usually happens, and it would serve no useful purpose as they cannot delay the decision letter.
And, more to the point, they would not overturn the decision of the panel just because you're taking it to the ombudsman.

Are there any other local schools that you'd not applied to that may be suitable? If there's one that doesn't have a great reputation, but is really good on a subject your child may excel at, it could be worth applying (as well as going down the ombudsman route).
Capers
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Just wanted to add my commiserations lgasks. Have been following your threads, and if nothing else, you can honestly say that you tried your very best, left no stone unturned in the best interests of your daughter. If you are unhappy with the process, then I would suggest ringing the ombudsman advice line.
All the very best, and let us know how you get on
Bougalou
lgasks

Appeal Decision Letters

Post by lgasks »

Dear All

As I have not received my letter yet, I would be very grateful to those of you who have ever received an unsuccessful appeal decision letter (or even a successful one), to let me know how explanatory it was, particularly if you were appealing against non-qualification. For example did the letter explain in full why the panel decided that your individual circumstances were considered insufficient (or sufficient).

It would be interesting to see what kind of grounds are given.

Kind regards

lgasks

PS Thank you for all the kind words of support and help. It is very much appreciated.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Someone else may be able to provide an example of an actual letter, but I thought it might be of interest if I quoted what the new Code says about decision letters:

Notification of the decision
2.34 The panel must communicate the decision of every appeal, including the reasons for that decision, in writing to the parents and the admission authority . The decision letter must be signed by the panel chair or the clerk to the panel (not someone from the admission authority) and sent by the clerk as soon as possible after the panel has made its decision, ideally within 5 working days, although this may not always be possible where there are multiple appeals for one school. When notifying parents of a successful appeal outside the normal admissions round, parents should be given a date on which their child can start at the school.
2.35 The letter must be expressed clearly without the use of jargon. It must enable parties to:
a) see what matters were taken into consideration;
b) understand what view the panel took on questions of fact or law which the panel had to resolve; and
c) know broadly on what basis the appeal panel reached its decision and, in the case of the unsuccessful party, enable them to understand why they did not succeed .
2.36 The letter must:
a) reflect the type of appeal that was considered:
i. in the case of an infant class size appeal, explaining the particular nature of the appeal and the basis upon which the panel was able to reach its decision; or
ii. in the case of other appeals, making reference to the two-stage process (see paragraph 3.1) where applicable;
b) contain a summary of relevant factors that were raised by the parent and considered by the panel along with a summary of any legal advice the panel sought, especially if this advice was received after the panel retired to make its decision ;
c) explain how, and why, any issues of fact or law were decided by the panel during the hearing , for example whether a parent lived at a particular address; and
d) give clear and detailed reasons for the panel’s decision, addressing the key questions that the panel considered.

I suspect many parents are still left wondering why their appeal did not succeed. The clerk's notes, if they can be obtained, may provide further clues.
Etienne