WILMINGTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR BOYS

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MumB

WILMINGTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR BOYS

Post by MumB »

I am due to attend an appeal for WSGB next Tuesday. During my research I have found that the 2007 appeals had an advantage, the school required more pupils than the 'normal' intake as they had a large year 11 due to leave and didn't want to lose resources etc.

Out of 84 appeals in 2007 24 were sucessful, meaning that the current year 7 has 21 pupils more than the other years.

Is it descrimination that boys born 1995/96 had this unfair advantage (good luck to them though) over boys born 1996/97?

MumB

p.s. Good luck to everyone with their appeal :wink:
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

MumB - something slightly similar here in Bexley. Bexley Grammar dropped its intake by one form with effect from September 2008. This meant that there were fewer selective places available in Bexley and had a knock on effect on the overall pass mark (up 6 points on last year). So children who would have passed the 11+ last year didn't this year. It also meant that the 'qualifying distance' was reduced by approximately half a mile. So children who passed the 11+ and last year would have been close enough to the school to get in, weren't this year.

I'm afraid I haven't heard of anyone using this as grounds for appeal in Bexley.

But good luck with your appeal.
MumB

Post by MumB »

Hi Bexely Mum 2

Thankfully I'm not basing my appeal on this point, just wanted to make sure I covered all bases.

Cheers
Mum B