Headteachers appeal failed - what chance now!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lgasks

Post by lgasks »

capers123 wrote:
Then the next one we get two parents who haven't been in the same room together since the divorce court, hate each other, keep arguing with each other, haven't co-operated on the appeal... We have to act as marriage guidance councillors as much as anything to try and sort out the grounds for the appeal (which turn out to be strong).
I haven't had much of a chance to laugh lately but this definitely made me laugh! :lol:
capers123 wrote:
As for the ballet. I'd be interested if the child had taken grade 8 and got honours... but it wouldn't help the appeal particularly, other than showing that the child has outside interests.
Seriously though, at the appeal how much of the outside/non-academic interests should one mention particularly if your child has a few. Surely, this demonstrates that your child is an 'all-rounder'?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

In what way does the 11+ measure "being an all-rounder"? :)

If it's an appeal against the result of the 11+, then surely the test to be applied by the panel is: how compelling is the evidence of high ability and of any extenuating circumstances?
Etienne
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Thanks all,
Capers,I promise I am not going to spend 20 mins discussing her various dancing exams :D ,in fact im going to stick to the same format as the last appeal, I have done my homework, and taken on board all the advice on here and I dont think I can improve on anything,just hoping that that the panels questions are not so daunting this time.
The one thing I am going to do this time ,is to to write out my final words, I
was not expecting to be asked to make a final summing up,and because I felt the questions had thrown me, I just wanted it over,and now realise I could have made better use of that final statement,so even just a few points witten on a piece of paper would have jogged my memory.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

heronsfly wrote: The one thing I am going to do this time ,is to to write out my final words
That's a good idea. We know that some people are able to do that kind of thing off the top of their heads (I certainly can't), others need notes, others read out verbatim. Being a slick presenter is no advantage in an appeal.
Capers
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi all,
today I have had my second appeal,and what a difference a panel can make.
Although I really dont hold up much hope for a place,all the schools round here seem to be full to bursting,the panel could not have been nicer,they were very aware of how nervous I was [alone again,husband at work] they talked me through every step and I came out feeling that I had really covered eveything I wanted to,and done my best for my daughter, if any panel members are lurking on here, thank you.
This appeal was an lea one, the lea rep was there to state the schools case,my last appeal was to a foundation school panel, are the lea panels likely to be more experienced?.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

heronsfly wrote:This appeal was an lea one, the lea rep was there to state the schools case,my last appeal was to a foundation school panel, are the lea panels likely to be more experienced?.
No, not really. After all, we should all move around every 3 years or so.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Possibly! LA panels cover a wide range of schools, and individual LA panel members could, potentially, hear far more appeals.

Having said that, all three members of an LA panel are not necessarily going to be equally experienced - and individual members of a foundation school panel might also serve on other panels.
Etienne
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Well,as expected we did not gain a place after our appeal,we have one more result to come :(
The school is very oversubscibed and I have not heard yet of any places being granted,I hope there are some sucess stories, because I feel a bit whats the point? at the moment.
I understand that parents have a legal right to a hearing,but wish there was some way of telling us right at the start that however good your reasons may be,there is just no hope.
Good luck moscow,hope you have had a different result .
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Sorry to hear that. I hope you have better luck with your other appeal.
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Thank you,sams mum,
well done to you and your dd, its nice to hear good news,
I will be glad when this is all over and we can move on,luckily we have a place at a good secondery school that has plenty of appeals itself in the next few weeks,so I am in a better position than some,even though Im moaning today, Im glad I tried and would still do it again. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now