Appeal experience

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
neelwgs

Post by neelwgs »

I'm sorry to hear about your sad news regarding the appeal but glad to hear how positive you are about the future.

I, too my experienced a failed appeal for my daughter at Watford Grammar school for Girls, despite thinking I had a good case. Etienne & many others provided great support and advice.

I did consider going to the ombudsman after the unsuccessful appeal but was drained of energy but am contemplating a second appeal attempt at year 8 from Sep. My daughter is still 3rd in waiting list so haven't lost all hope. In the meantime I remain postive for my daughter providing her with all the support and encouragment she needs.
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

I'm sure I will speak for the likes of Grumpy et al here - so being in the top 12.5% by achieving all Level 5's this year isn't good enough for a Grammar?

Bitter, twisted? You bet I am!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

National data is 18% three level 5s in the statistical first release - we've been there too! Still at least we had 12+ ...
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

I'd got my info from a quote in the Times about '1 in 8 achieving Level 5 in the 3 R's' - so I'm more than happy to be corrected, in light of actual statistics compared to newspaper quotes!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Looking at the data again I can see possibly where they got this number from.

If you look at reading, writing, maths and science separately then it is 12% but that's 'four' level 5s and no-one splits it down like this.
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Ah, understood. I was given his levels for reading and writing separately - just because of the situation we found ourselves in, and both were level 5's. So, I suppose he can be classed as 4 Level 5's (and all 90% plus.....)
Trying so hard to put it all behind us, but struggling!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I do feel for you - at least we had the 12+ to go for.

It is so wrong when you KNOW your child will thrive in a GS and have all the evidence to prove the 11+ score was a 'blip' but an appeal panel seem unable to grasp the significance of the data you present.
cagney40

Post by cagney40 »

Hi Grumpy

Just to let you know we were unsuccessful at appeal for Calday. Thank you for your help and advice in the run-up. It was much appreciated.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

I'm bitter too, and understand how people feel - but so grateful for the advice and support on this forum.

It's hard to move on, isn't it, when every day brings new reminders.

Yesterday, GD told me that during their 'Reading session' when they bring in their own books, she was reading 'It shouldn't happen to a vet' (which was written for adults & contains vocab such as 'intestinal' and 'prognosis') - she stumbled a bit on a few words, teacher said 'Well, yes, I think we'd better go on to someone else..' - the someone else was J., who got in to GS - and what was she reading? A 'Simpson's' comic - because she 'hates reading.' I despair - J. goes to GS whilst my GD reads about three books a week, and got the same SATS levels as J. Grrr.
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

So sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful with your appeal Cagney - I hope you've got a good school to fall back on.

The system definitely doesn't work for all children, but you've done your best and you can't ask for more than that.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now