Appeal experience

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

HELP! Have just had confirmation that CG are re-running the appeals next wednesday or thursday. This is good news and the reason for going to the ombudsman, but now I feel sick with worry, what if I don't do the appeal right, there will be no third chance.

I haven't told my son anything, if he gets a place I will give him the choice of what school then I think.

In the meantime, I have to re-submit all my evidence for the appeal. Appeal was underperformance, missed by 3 marks as had taken on too many other committments ie piano grading,extra clubs and an athletics tournament. There are 19 places at the school (as nearly all appeals failed like mine) Last time I included:

Forecast Sats from school (5.7 maths, 5.5 science, 5.4 english)
Actual Sats from each year - was achieving some 5's in year 5
Primary maths challenge winner, just one point off national final which would have put him in top 2% nationally.
Gifted and talented register for maths, science, ICT, creative writing and art.
Place on gifted and talented summer school for Cheshire this year.
House captain, popular with peers, represents school for athletics and tennis.
Thrives in academic atmosphere, it was my son's idea to go to grammar, it is the right school for him
I also included some winning artwork, a story he had written and the primary maths challenge.

Actual sats not available yet, not sure if will be before appeal.

Do you think that is enough, should I include more or less? Any input gratefully received.
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

Hi Grumpy!!

not sure what else you can possibly use, it looks like you have it all covered.

All I can say is chin-up, keep positive and believe in yourself and your child, and i am sure if there is anything else you can use someone will come along with their advice soon!!

We had third and final appeal on 26th June, and with no school for our DD the prospects did not look good for us. But we had a letter yesterday that changed everything - WE WON OUR APPEAL!!!

So do not give up, give it your all and the very best of luck. I will be thinking of you.

Mumsy :)
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi Grumpy
I can't advise on appeals but know that Calday are down on numbers this year ,my DS in is a class of 27 ( 6 classes in all) so surely there must be space for your son.

He sounds like perfect grammar school material I wish you good luck and hopefully he will be joining my DS in Sept!! :lol:

Has he gone for an open day today ? where has he got a place?

Pensby(Wirral) :o
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Sounds like you have some good evidence. I would concentrate very much on the academic side of things and just briefly mention art, sport etc.

Only other thing I can think of that may help would be a letter of recommendation from head teacher of his primary school if they would be willing to do this.

I planned exactly what I was going to say and wrote it in bullet points on A6 size cards so I knew I wouldn't forget anything. Also did a separate card for summing up at the end - kept this fairly brief, just highlighting main points (only 3 or 4 sentences). I also practised saying it and timed it. I was advised to keep it to around 5 minutes but I probably ended up at around 7 minutes. I found all this preparation really helped as I felt much calmer in front of the panel than I thought I would.

Very best of luck and hope to hear good news soon.
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Thanks for your comments. I do have a copy of the letter the school wrote for the original appeal in which they strongly recommend him to the GS, but don't mention the reasons for the underperformance in the 11 plus. I am seeing the head tomorrow to see if any recent results to add in, and can ask him to add some comments about the underperformance. Does it make the case stronger if the school comment more, or does it make him look like the kind of child that cracks under pressure? Don't want to labour the point, but is academic case alone enough?

Well done mumsey for keeping going - I've been following all the threads, it keeps me going too!

Pensby - no didn't go to open day, he went to Neston High where he has a place, but he really wanted to go to GS, he has no idea there is still any chance of this and don't want to get his hopes up. One nervous wreck in the family is enough!
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Well second appeal over, and will hear the result tomorrow afternoon. At least I know we had a fair hearing this time! Head gave a presentation first and made it clear we didn't have to argue about IAB, that it was clearly unfair and the process will be changed for next year - so that in itself is good news, and the original reason I went to ombudsman, I never realistically thought would get another chance for my son in this way.

Apparantly the LEA have not agreed they did anything wrong yet (guess they don't want to pay compensation!), but that can be sorted out over time, and doesn't make any difference to the appeal. It might be worth Etienne contacting Wirral LEA before next round of appeals to make sure what they have decided to do, just to make doubly sure for other people using this fantastic forum, that they don't walk into the same situation again.

If anyone else had appeals turned down because they had already been turned down by the IAB, but not gone to the ombudsman, they will be contacted soon to be asked if they would like to re-appeal too, so good luck to them and anyone else going through it still.
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Grumpy

Good luck and all the best for the results for tomorrow. Hopefully you will be able to re-name your log-in name!!!

Keep us posted!
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Thanks MGS Mum, haven't felt grumpy for a while thank goodness; when I got the letter turning down the original appeal, I felt like a small child stamping in the playground going 'it's not fair, it's not fair'! At least I know it wasn't my imagination, it wasn't fair, and no matter what the result is tomorrow, I know I've done my best and my son will do well at whatever school he goes to in September plus hopefully, the process will be better for other parents who have to go to appeal next year.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Good luck grumpy!!!
Fingers crossed :)
bouga
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Thanks Bougalou, but no joy, appeal unsuccessful (again), at least that's it, don't know what they wanted from us, but I didn't provide it - never liked the uniform anyway! Life will be much easier for me with both my children at the same, local school, where I am sure he will shine like the star he is to me.

No longer Grumpy, maybe a little sad, they gave 4 places out of the 9 appeals heard, but am glad I don't have any more children, wouldn't want to go through that again.

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice, using this forum at least stopped me going crazy!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now