Distance criteria

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Capers is right that you can lodge an Appeal, but you might save yourself a lot of pain by simply writing to them asking them to put matters right.

Make sure that you keep every scrap of correspondence and make careful notes of every conversation - who, what, when, etc. Get written confirmation wherever possible.

Sally-Anne
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I would do both - write to them, and appeal simultaneously - don't even bother waiting for one of those appeal forms. If the school is going to be nice about it, they will have offered you a place long before you reach your appeal date and you can back out of the appeal. If they are going to be difficult, and say sorry it was our mistake but we're full now anyhow, then you haven't lost any time.

Good luck. I think I am right in saying that at appeal you need to prove that you would have got a place if they had not made this mistake. So assuming that the other place was not also offered in error (I am not joking here as it sounds as though they have someone pretty dopey doing the waiting list) it should be an open and shut case.
Robbo

Placement

Post by Robbo »

The school have just confirmed that dd will be offered a place and they have apologised for the error.

I must say they were very contrite and did make me feel that it was a genuine error.

Thank you to everyone that helped this morning and good luck to everyone still trying tho get their children in - don't give up!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Brilliant news! :D
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Another wrong righted thanks to the brilliant advice given on this wonderful forum! :wink: :wink:

PMx2
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

WOW ROBBO

that is an excellent results - using KM instead of miles makes a sig dif. reminds me of the time that NASA made such an expensive mistake

http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/ ... metric.02/
Robbo

Lucky discussion

Post by Robbo »

That's quite funny Herman, i had forgotten all about it.

dd has her place now which is great but if dd's friend hadn't have mentioned that she had got a place at said school we would not have been any the wiser regarding the mistake they made.

The school made an honest mistake but if there are any parents out there on waiting lists i think you should check the school and make sure they have the correct distance recorded.

www.landmap.co.uk shows the distance between two postcodes.

Incidentally our margin of error was 103 metres!
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Robbo

As already said how fabulous that a wrong has been righted but also how great that it was all done so quickly. We all agonise alongside the posters on this site, how brilliant this was resolved without us all worrying for you!!:D :D
lottie

Post by lottie »

Hi

How lucky were you to spot their mistake - and what a result - not only has your daughter got a place but so has her friend! I bet her parents are extremely happy that the school made a mistake! it's not very often that one slips through the net - but how wounderful - DOUBLE WHAMMY :!:

All the best for the future

Lottie :D
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

LEAs can definitely make mistakes...
We applied to a grammar school - which we knew we were out of catchment for - and knew we would, at best, be on the waiting list for the second round of offers if DS scored highly enough in the 11+.
Imagine our surprise therefore, when he got a place offered in the first round of offers!! I phoned the LEA straight away and had to speak to several people before I could convince them that we WERE out of catchment!
They finally agreed with me (!) and I was told that they would honour the place as it was their mistake. Can you imagine how we felt? I saw it that we had taken someone else's place. Someone who was more deserving as they lived in the right area.
Thankfully DS also gained two independent school places and we accepted one of those. I am not sure we would ever have felt comfortable with the GS place.