Hearing of prejudice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

carolyn hobson

Hearing of prejudice

Post by carolyn hobson »

Hello
We're in Warwickshire and appealing for my daughter to attend Shottery (Stratford Girls Grammar). The letter giving us the date arrived this morning its the 9th of June. What has thrown me is the mention of 2 hearings - A hearing of prejudice jointly with other parents and then an individual appeal.

Having looked at the Q&As and other topics I believe what I need to know for the hearing of prejudice is the number of places at Shottery and the actual numbers of girls they take. Is this correct?

Also the letter states
If the panel finds 'prejudice' they will move on to the second stage
and then goes on to say
It is usual for parents to atttend both of these stages
. Does this mean we might not get a chance to present our indivdual appeal?
Thanks for your help
Carolyn
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Hi Carolyn

I'm not an expert (and I'm sure one of the appeal panel members will correct me if I'm wrong) but
Having looked at the Q&As and other topics I believe what I need to know for the hearing of prejudice is the number of places at Shottery and the actual numbers of girls they take. Is this correct?
Yes. The case from the school should tell you why there would be prejudice. If the panel decided that there wouldn't be prejudice to the school (which I imagine is highly unlikely) then they would allow the appeals without needing to move to the second stage.

If the panel decides there would be prejudice, they move to the second stage, which is the balance of prejudice, ie would the child or the school suffer greater prejudice if child was / was not admitted. This is where you get to put your individual case.

Good luck
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It is usual for parents to atttend both of these stages.

Does this mean we might not get a chance to present our indivdual appeal?

Sam's Mum is right - the only situation where you wouldn't get a chance to present your individual case is if the panel is not satisfied that the authority has made its case, and decides that all the appellants can be admitted without prejudice.

The two stages are explained in section C of the Q&As.
Etienne
carolyn hobson

Post by carolyn hobson »

Thanks to Sam's Mum and Etienne for clarifying that.