APPEAL FAILURE - WHAT NEXT??

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumsy

APPEAL FAILURE - WHAT NEXT??

Post by mumsy »

We had our appeal on 1st May, and have found out today that it was not upheld by the panel :cry:

I am rather confused by the letter, as they state that they recognised that she was "reported" to have a number of strengths in terms of academic ability, but due to a lack of evidence as to why her Maths score was not a true reflection of her ability?!! Iam unsure of what else i could of possibly said and thought that a letter from the HT and Class Teacher confirming current SATS 5C's/5B's in all subject and predicted end of Yr 6 5B's/5A's, has always been a high achiever and will thrive and be an assest to a grammar school - how can this be classed as "reported"?? We were not allowed to take any school work so what else could i submit as evidence.

I have spoken the Kent Education today, who have said i should go to the ombudsman, as one of the panel told me that he didnt like the fact the her class teacher headed her letter "To whom it may concern" (nothing to do with my DD!!), also when giving her closing speech the HT of WG stated that on hearing my evidence my DD would not have a problem with the pace at grammar school and even came up to me when i was leaving to say that i put forward a very good case, and if it is any consolidation, the negative member of the panel had been that way all day. I plan to ring them tomorrow just to see if they agree.

I now have no school for my daughter as i was given something that was not on my CAF form, and a school that is failing badly in all areas so I turned it down.

just wondered if anyone has any thoughts to help me with a next plan of action.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh dear. How terrible for you. I truly am sorry to hear your news. I hope someone will be along shortly to give you some advice.
capers123

Re: APPEAL FAILURE - WHAT NEXT??

Post by capers123 »

mumsy wrote:We had our appeal on 1st May, and have found out today that it was not upheld by the panel :cry:
Sorry to hear that.
I am rather confused by the letter, as they state that they recognised that she was "reported" to have a number of strengths in terms of academic ability, but due to a lack of evidence as to why her Maths score was not a true reflection of her ability?!!
We were not allowed to take any school work so what else could i submit as evidence.

Who said you couldn't take school work? Would your school not release it? Photocopy of homework book? Certainly you are allowed to produce anything you like as evidence.

The one problem is that a predicted SAT is just that, a prediction. And technically, a prediction is different from a provable fact - one might, or might not be true, the other can only be true. Some teachers may 'predict' higher results for an appeal to boost the number of children going to grammar from that school, which then looks better.

I tend to take note of the predictions, but also like to see any other test results that are around. We don't have separate maths tests here, but if we did, I'd wonder why a child did well in a non-maths test and not quite so well in the maths one.

Not a help, but my thoughts.
Capers
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

Hi Caoers123 - thanks for your reply.

In the notes we received from the school on appeals it states
"you are adivsed that as stipulated by the School Admission Appeals Code the panel will not make its own assessment of your child's abiliry and as such the submission of school work as evidence is not appropraite as this will not be looked at by th panel"

If i could not provide school work, how can i prove that her maths score was not a true reflection of her ability?? I had the Ht and class teacher letters, which stated her mid-year assessments, using 2007 KS2 SATS papers, show she is currently achieving 5C in maths, 5B in writing and 5B in reading, and is expected to achieve her end of year targets of 5B in maths and 5A in writing and reading, and that she would thrive in a grammar school environment and be a future asset to the school. I also had confirmation that she achieved 3's in KS1 in all subjects. This is from a catholic school who do not take part in HT appeals, and did not give support letters to other pupils that were appealing for a grammar school. her maths was 3 below the pass mark, so what else could i have used to back up that she does not have a problem with maths, just did not perform as expected on the day. Also if the panel do can not assess her ability how would they know if she would struggle with the "fast pace and pressure of the curriculum at the GS"??
It seems that i am in a no win siutation unless i have a poorly child or something dreadful that has happened in my family, the fact that she has constantly been a high achiever does not matter as they cannot assess that.

Sorry for going on a bit, but i am so, so upset about all of this, and was hopeful that the letters and results would be enough to get us through.

mumsy
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Was there an earlier Headteacher's review, as if this was the case then the panel can't consider abilitly, only if the procedure was properly carried out.
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

No there was not an earlier HT appeal. As my daughter attends a catholic school and they just do not take part in HT appeals for any schools.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

I think you have been very unlucky mumsy
With best wishes
Bougalou
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

If there was no headteacher review, then I would have thought that the panel WOULD be allowed to make it's own assessment of ability. I'm sure someone will come along soon who will be able to quote the relevant piece of legislation for you.

So sorry for the situation you find yourself in.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The phrase about the panel not making its own assessment of ability does appear in the Code, but there is no prohibition as such on the submission of school work as evidence.

It is not entirely clear what is meant by not making an assessment of ability. It probably means "should not be devising its own tests!" It cannot realistically mean "cannot examine the evidence".

Mumsy was certainly entitled to produce whatever evidence she wished (the only thing not permitted is a letter of support from the school being appealed for). In my view, the panel cannot be expected to judge school work, but should be prepared to consider teachers' marks and comments.

My advice to Mumsy would be to try the ombudsman's advice service (0845 602 1983 or 024 7682 1960). It's a new service, and the advantage is you can find out what they think before submitting a formal complaint.
Etienne
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

Morning Etienne

Thank you for your response. I will call the ombudsman as soon as i get home from work today, and ask them what they think, as you have suggested, and will let you know what their reponse is later today.

Mumsy