re appeal help!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

You say she was 2 marks short - was it just on the vr paper? How did her scores in each paper compare to the cut off scores?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I sympathise with Guest55's point, but can you get the school to give you evidence of two scores only?!

There's also the problem that at least one panel member is likely to know that CATs consist of three tests, and you don't want to be accused of hiding evidence.

On balance I think it would be best to submit all three scores, but draw attention to the fact that two of them are exceptionally good (above the 90th percentile). Then point out at the hearing that you weren't too worried about the NVR as she hadn't encountered this sort of test before, and it wasn't part of the 11+ anyway.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes Etienne is correct - you can't leave it out - but emphasis the other two as they are the relevant scores.
arc

Post by arc »

thanks for that advice Etienne - i will def add this in
as for the cut off marks for each paper i don't know what they were - i'll have a look.

thanks for all the help!
cindy

Post by cindy »

are the Sats scores you have predictive, or are they the real thing.

People dont normally get the real scores until afeter the appeal dates, although I do know of someone who was given them in confidence, for the appeal panels viewing only for evidence in the appeal, they were all 5's

good luck

Cindy
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The papers are not back in schools yet - and will be some time if what I read about the probems are anything to go by.
arc

Post by arc »

no only have predicitive results but her teacher had a quick look and said all 5's to my daughter!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They can't judge before they see the mark scheme and they are NOT allowed to open it until the papers are sent off!

This is very unprofessional - if reported the teacher would be in big trouble as it is quite clear the papers are not to be looked at before they are packed up.
arc

Post by arc »

well i know the teacher would not act unprofessional and do / say anything that is not allowed. more than likely my daughter misunderstood or said that to shut me up from asking her how it went - thinking about it and knowing how she works i reckon thats what happened!
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hi,

Firstly - very good luck with your appeal hearing.
My appeal situation last year seems quite unique - the more I read about appeals in other parts of the country (I live in Devon where things appear to be handled very differently). Anyway......

Not until after our appeal hearing - which was won by the school and opposed on PAN grounds, did I find out that in year 8, the school we were appealing against accept 20 more children under PAN criteria after the 12+.

Had I known about this before the appeal, I would certainly have included this statistic as a piece of evidence. One panel member vehemently insisted (throwing her hands in the air) that "if the school is full - it is simply full!"). Evidently this was not the whole truth?

Check with the school what their PAN is for year 8 (do they increase the PAN?). If so - it might be worth a mention at the hearing as a last resort?

You may be appealing against a school which offers appeals with the intention of upholding some - unfortunately in our case the school had never upheld any appeals ever since becoming self-regulating.
I feel sure that things will be managed differently where you live - best wishes.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now