Diabetes

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Etienne,

According to the clerk’s notes:

1. Yes
2. The only mention I can find in the notes relating to this are where the clerk informed the panel that we had not requested any extra measures. This is quite true, which is why I was wondering whether the school had any responsibility here. It is also recorded that when the LA rep spoke to the school, the HT told him that they “don’t have to modify anything [for DD] as she copes very well.â€
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think you're entitled to see the flowchart.

If the panel said 'Yes' to the second of my two questions, then they found the school to be at fault.

If they said 'No', then they would appear to have accepted the school's argument that they “don’t have to modify anything [for DD] as she copes very well.â€
Etienne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Sorry, seem to be taking up a lot of your time today!

The school, if you recall, did not consider DD to be covered by the DDA. The panel, however, decided (rightly) that she was. I’m sure you’re right in that the school would plead ignorance re. the need for adjustments and thus cover themselves, though I think it’s pretty poor that they never initiated any discussions with us.

You are correct to say that the school’s feedback was only introduced during the LA rep’s summing up, and we were too taken aback to pick up on comments such as most teachers other than DD’s form teacher wouldn’t even know she had diabetes and that it was never at the forefront of the school’s mind.

I share your opinion that this was procedurally incorrect, we’re trying to work out whether it’s a big enough issue to warrant an appeal to the ombudsman.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Sorry, just to clarify, it’s true that DD copes very well on a day to day basis, which is why her schoolwork is excellent and her SATs predictions good. However she does find stressful situations have an adverse effect on her, and I don’t think anyone would deny the 11+ is a stressful situation. One-off exams are always problematic for her, which is probably why her CAT scores a re a bit all over the place.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No problem, Rob.

I know you have several concerns, including the "ranking" of your daughter.

Why not just ring up the ombudsman advice line, and sound them out? If they think it's a waste of time, they'll tell you! - but I suspect there's enough there to look into.
Etienne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Thanks, Etienne. Would you mind if I sent you a PM as I want to ask a couple of very specific questions? I’m more than happy for this to appear on the main forum at a later date if you think it would be of interest/benefit to anyone else.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Please go ahead.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now