Urgent Help! Moved House & Cathment School Appeal.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Are Solihull really saying that ALL pupils movings into say the Knowle area from other LEAs will only be offered places at Park Hall Castle Bromwich? I suspect the answer will be no because there will be pupils moving out of the area as well and this would be impractical.
It's possible; Solihull publish their 2008 admissions info online, every school in Solihull except Park Hall had a waiting list for 2008 admission, ranging from a mere 16 at Light Hall to 145 at Langley. I would think the appeal has to come up with good reasons why this case should take priority over the 43 (or however many it currently is) already on the waiting list for Arden.

Mike
Solihullmom

Post by Solihullmom »

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies, I am really grateful even though still confused.

The points you have each raised are valid and I only feel now that I had come across this site before submitting that information...

I can see there is a coincidence that park Hall is below standard and that Arden is a level 1 however although I am happy of this its not my reason for wanting to get my son a place, its the catchment school, less than 1 mile from the house and just literally makes sense.

At this time my son has no school and i feel that they have a responsibility to do something about it.

Can I also say that the headteacher of Arden is also the acting headteacher of Park Hall so when I went to see her we did discuss circumstances, she said obviously that she would have to oppose an application because of numbers but advised not to list any other school on the form. Unfortunately for me, as fickle as I am I read this as some kind of hint, she knows my son is more than able as he is in all the top sets of Park Hall. She explained that Arden is of a high standard and that where he is in Park Hall may not reflect in Arden but she advised that I had nothing to worry about as they will push him forward.

Park Hall was the catchment school for the previous address.

Mixed emotions now, I guess the application is likely to be declined?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

By no means! It seems to me (others with more knowledge of the process than me might disagree) that the head has forced the LEA's hand by taking him off the roll? Fingers crossed! Follow the advice of the others here - I have no experience of the appeals process, I just happen to have seen the Solihull 2008 figures so I realised why the LEA might have been sticky about it.

Good luck to you and your son.

Mike
KenR

Post by KenR »

Mike

Don't forget that late admissions and transfers are handled differently to the normal admission cycle so Solihull LEA may not necessarily report these.

Often schools and LEA close the waiting list in Sept - certainly B/Ham and the KE Foundation do.

Some friends of our tranferred to the B/Ham area from Surrey a few couple of years ago and the boy got into KE 5-Ways even though there were hundreds still on the waiting list. You have to dig deep to find out the procedures for handling this.

Regards

Ken
Alex

Post by Alex »

Bearing in mind the local information it is very important that you have satisfied your LA that your move is a genuine one. I notice that they are quite specific in the proof they require:

If your move involves any other circumstances, you will need to provide appropriate written independent evidence of the date when you begin living there, the arrangements you will have for living there and the length of time for which you envisage staying there.
If your move involves you residing with a member of your family, we will need to see your child benefit book, showing that the child is resident at the relevant address.
Please note that unless the written evidence you provide proves, to the satisfaction of the Education Authority, that you have moved to the address that you indicate, we will not be able to consider your application from your new address.

In certain circumstances we may ask an Education Welfare Officer to visit you to verify that you are resident at the address you state on your application form.

It may also be sensible to provide proof that the house at the previous address has been sold.

I think that I would mention at appeal that looking at the allocation profiles for Arden School, your son would definitely have been awarded a place had you been applying from your present address at the normal transfer time.

I looked at the application form for transfer on the LA website - I have to say I was rather surprised at the information which was asked for - academic levels and behaviour should not be issues under consideration for "normal" admissions to schools except in very limited circumstances yet such information was requested.

Waiting lists, if held, must reflect the order of priority under the school's admission policy - length of time on the list is not relevant, so were you to ask to be added to the list you might possibly be fairly near the top of it - you could ask what position you would be in if the list is still operating. However, the turnover in a highly popular school may be very slow and one could languish at the top of the list evermore.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Turnover is fairly low - in my daughter's year (10) I know of only one friend who left (family moved out of the country), there have been occasional expulsions (possibly often apocryphal) and families who move into the area may well have to send one or more secondary-aged children elsewhere . Conversely those who move away (possibly following family breakdown) are likely to keep the place for their child even at the expense of long journeys.

Also even living in catchment in yr 6 would have been no guarantee - a few years ago Arden was unexpectedly over-subscribed within catchment, and after a lot of trauma for those in the furthest corners of the area, had to admit an additional 8 pupils from the local primaries, and in subsequent years the criteria were amended to include a priority within the catchment for the feeder primaries

But don't despair. Although the head will not want to lose your son from Park Hall with her "acting superhead" hat on at least you will have a slightly better chance of being known as a genuine case rather than an "address of convenience" (particularly if you follow the advice above). And if the LEA accept that you have genuinely moved and Park Hall is the only school with a space, I'm sure they would have to provide transport...

Good luck!
Solihullmom

Post by Solihullmom »

[quote="Alex"]
If your move involves any other circumstances, you will need to provide appropriate written independent evidence of the date when you begin living there, the arrangements you will have for living there and the length of time for which you envisage staying there.
If your move involves you residing with a member of your family, we will need to see your child benefit book, showing that the child is resident at the relevant address.
Please note that unless the written evidence you provide proves, to the satisfaction of the Education Authority, that you have moved to the address that you indicate, we will not be able to consider your application from your new address.

quote]

Hi everyone,

Re the above, I have satisfied the LA that the move is genuine and proved by the Child Benefit Book that my son and I reside at the address, this is not a move of convenience but a separation between the poor fellow’s father and I.

We still have huge concerns re what to do in relation to this appeal, not knowing what’s going to happen is a real stress. Furthermore, the LA has confirmed that they will not confirm what will happen if my son isn’t offered a place until the decision of the appeal has been confirmed.

My son is Level 5/ level 6 on his SATS so could comfortably go to Arden and achieve. I will be taking my father along as support, lord I hope this happens. All I want for my son is a school, is that too much to ask. In relation to the waiting list, we have been advised he is number 2, number 1 however is another boy already in a school who lives closer than us. I make that my son should be number 1 as he out weighs the circumstances.

Such a stressful time, thank heavens for this web site!
Solihullmom

Post by Solihullmom »

Hi everyone, thank you for all the replies.

I have written the following in the form of a letter, would you mind giving feedback before I send in this evenings post?

The School sent there response yesterday, standard school is over subscribed, the class rooms are already full, corridors are full, play ground is to small, toilets etc and that by letting him in would prejudice other children from there learning despite him level 6.

The letter I want to write is:

In relation to my forthcoming appeal for my son ***, please may I in addition to my recently submitted documentation highlight the following points;

DS recently started secondary school, the catchment school of my previous address in September, 2008.

Since September, 2008 and due to domestic circumstances I have had no alternative but to move back to my parent’s house in 'address'. This is a permanent measure and my children and I are registered at this address.

For the above reason and for DS to attend Park Hall the travel for DS would be inappropriate for a child of his age. The reasons are:

• The distance involved (31.2 miles P/day)
• By relying on public transport DS would be late for registration each morning
• I as his parent can’t afford for a taxi to transport DS to and from school, costing’s are in the original submitted response (£142 P/wk)
• The LEA has confirmed that they are unable to offer transport for DS as no funds are currently available.

In addition, I am becoming increasingly concerned as no viable alternative school placement has been offered for DS. Unfortunately it isn’t possible for DS to attend his previous school without travel being funded and even then it is not a sensible long term solution.

As discussed previously, it hasn’t ever been my intention to home educate DS and for this reason I am asking the LEA to accommodate DS at his catchments school, Arden. In addition to home educating DS and since his departure from Park Hall I have, on several occasions requested more work for him to complete. The original work received (history and maths) included a note to say that more work was to follow however, despite DS completing the work and our requests to the school no further work has been received since the start of this term. This is now affecting DS who in previous terms has always scored Level 5 & 6’s which, if these current circumstances continue would undoubtedly make him fall behind.

With these views and if the decision for DS to attend Arden is not upheld, he will be disadvantaged and prevented from obtaining an education.

Obviously I hope that the appeal for Arden School will be successful however after speaking with the LEA and being advised that all other schools in the borough are full (other than his current school) please reply in writing with what arrangements will be made for Jack should the appeal not be upheld.

Yours Sincerely,

Obviously I have changed some points with DS or whatever.

Isn’t this so very stressful, since the start of term DS hasn't learnt a thing.

Thank you everyone. :oops: :cry:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, Solihullmom, I haven't followed this thread too closely because others have been giving you such excellent advice.

I'm just a bit confused by your letter. It looks as if it is addressed to the Appeals Panel, in which case the final paragraph is inappropriate. The panel can only consider your appeal for this particular school - it is not their role (nor do they have the power) to tell you what alternative arrangements can be made.
Etienne
Solihullmom

Post by Solihullmom »

Hi Etienne,

Thanks for looking!

The letter is addressed to the Team Lead of school admissions and cc'd to the principle appeals clerk.

Do you still think I should remove it despite it going to the LEA?