VR let him down scored 110

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nayna P

VR let him down scored 110

Post by Nayna P »

I posted in the '110 Appeal' thread and I read it again I noticed that I need to start a new thread if I want advice and not just use somebodyelse's thread which is what I did. Sorry about that. Many thanks to Chad for his reply to my question.
Just a summary. My ds scored 110 for Slough Grammar (112 NV, 114 Maths, 103 VR). Shocked at VR result since English is best subjet. Last time I said I would let you know what happened with HT. His response was that he is not really in favour of Grammar schools and children can do well at comprehensives although one of his children did try and got into Tiffin. He finally said that he would write up a summary regarding my ds. I was disappointed with what he sent me. It was very brief and just mentioned the prediction that ds is expected to get level 5's in core subjects ( no gradings-is this a problem?). That ds is determined, is making good progress, gets on well with peers and then a few sentences regarding ds sporting achievments (HT coaches the school football team). There is no mention of HT gradings for suitability for grammar school eg 1:1. Do all HT give this recommendation and is it essential for appeal? No specific mention about English ability although, attached there is an example of ds work Is this recommendation detailed enough?
We have no mitigating circumstances except that ds did not perform on the day so I wanted HT letter to be a bit more detailed. It looks like he hasn't really made much of an effort. I suppose this is expecting too much and I feel that my appeal letter is not going to be good enough . Regards
Etienne

Re: VR let him down scored 110

Post by Etienne »

Dear Nayna P

As I've written elsewhere, any advice I give can only be on the assumption that you have a reasonable panel. I cannot claim to read the mind of your particular IAP which operates outside of the local authority. (The chief adjudicator has just written in his report to the DCSF: "Aided and foundation schools should be persuaded to use appeals tribunals run by local authorities, diocese or private companies and should not attempt to negotiate the complexity of running their own tribunals.")
His response was that he is not really in favour of Grammar schools
I wouldn't set out to be too critical of the head, but you could mention this briefly to the panel, so that they understand what might lie behind his lack of enthusiasm!
level 5's in core subjects ( no gradings-is this a problem?).
If you mean sublevels (5a, 5b, 5c), then most heads don't go into such detail. Of course, if a head is willing to predict a 5a, it helps make your case stand out.
gets on well with peers and then a few sentences regarding ds sporting achievments (HT coaches the school football team).
Unlikely to be of the slightest help!
There is no mention of HT gradings for suitability for grammar school eg 1:1. Do all HT give this recommendation and is it essential for appeal?
No, this is the system used over the border in Bucks.
No specific mention about English ability although, attached there is an example of ds work Is this recommendation detailed enough?
Well, you want to emphasise ability in English to try and explain the VR score should have been better. Presumably you have other evidence, e.g. a level 3 for reading and writing at KS1, school reports which mention achievement in English, evidence of a high reading age?
We have no mitigating circumstances
It may not matter too much if you're only a mark short.

First and foremost, you have to convince the panel that the VR score was a blip. (Does your son have any other standardised VR scores that could be used in evidence?)

Secondly, you need to convince them that your reasons for needing a place at this particular grammar school outweigh any prejudice that would be caused if the school has to exceed its admission number. See the Q&As, section C.
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

HT Gradings do not happen in Gloucestershire at all, nor do the informal reviews - as far as I am aware, they only happen in a minority of LEA's.
Capers
Nayna P

Post by Nayna P »

Etienne, many thanks for your reply. Happy New Year.
Apologies for not having said it sooner but Christmas and family troubles got in the way.
-My ds has reading age of 13+ and has english books with complimentary comments for teachers.
- They don't do standardised tests at the school
-I'm checking his KS1 results at the moment.

I have two questions
1/ How much paperwork can I attach to the appeal form. ie should I just attach headmaster letter and one example of ds work for each of the core subjects (maths, english, geography). Or can I attach more than one example for english since this is where 11+ went all wrong?

2/ Do I write in the appeal letter as to why I want my son to go to Slough Grammar ? as per your comment 'Secondly, you need to convince them that your reasons for needing a place at this particular grammar school outweigh any prejudice that would be caused if the school has to exceed its admission number. See the Q&As, section C.'

Regards
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Nayna P
1/ How much paperwork can I attach to the appeal form. ie should I just attach headmaster letter and one example of ds work for each of the core subjects (maths, english, geography). Or can I attach more than one example for english since this is where 11+ went all wrong?
You can attach as much evidence as you like, so long as it is entirely relevant and you don't overdo it! Unless things have changed, it might be wise to point out that you are not asking the panel to assess the school work, you are requesting them to note the teacher's comments with regard to achievement.
2/ Do I write in the appeal letter as to why I want my son to go to Slough Grammar ? as per your comment 'Secondly, you need to convince them that your reasons for needing a place at this particular grammar school outweigh any prejudice that would be caused if the school has to exceed its admission number. See the Q&As, section C.'
Yes, if the appeals take place after the March allocations. I am assuming that non-qualification and oversubscription are still being dealt with at the same hearing, as is quite usual for foundation schools.

Where there is oversubscription, it is for the panel to decide whether the prejudice is outweighed. You just need to put forward reasons for needing a place at this particular school.

Typical reasons are:

* You live close to the school.
* Getting to any suitable alternative school would be logistically difficult (you would have to prove this, and I think the degree of inconvenience would have to be very considerable indeed).
* There is a sibling already there.
* Other family members are attending or have attended the school (perhaps not a strong point but worth a mention).
* There are strong educational reasons (I don’t mean a preference for a type of school such as a grammar school – I mean something specific on offer at this particular school which is not available at any suitable alternative. You would need to prove why this is so crucial).
* There are strong medical or social reasons why your child needs to attend this particular school. These are often the most compelling reasons, but you will need proof, and you will need to demonstrate convincingly why only this school is the solution.

Happy New Year to you too.
Etienne
Nayna P

Post by Nayna P »

Hi Etienne,

Just wanted some advice regarding ds reading age, spelling age etc. Do i need to have this in writing from the school or will the panel accept my word? The teachers have always told us verbally at parents evening and it it not mentioned on any of the school reports.

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Nayna P

Take nothing for granted!

I would advise you to get this in writing from the school (on headed notepaper).
Etienne
Nayna P

Post by Nayna P »

Many thanks for your reply. I'll ask them tomorrow.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now