Appeal Ahead...Info Posted..

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Phil

Appeal Ahead...Info Posted..

Post by Phil »

Hi Again,

So all the info has been sent and Ive finally got the words from the HT.

My son got 115 and 119.
HT 2;3 the 3 is becuse the HT said I didnt have enough exam info to back up giving a 2;2. However they have written fully recommend in this case. He has high levels 5's for Maths, English, Science.
He has also passed grade 3 in both Singing and French Horn.

So am I now in a good position to have a good appeal case...? or just kidding myself...?

Phil
Phil

Post by Phil »

I should add he was 18 months higher spelling and 20 months higher reading age...
nicaukids

Post by nicaukids »

Hi Phil
We did appeal last year - and all I would recommend is academic ability... take lots of proof of this. Flag it, highlight it, cover it in bunting ... I think that's what they're really looking for.
Edit: Team points for school work, good comments & praise in school books from teachers etc etc.. [Means borrowing school books for w/end, but most Y6 teachers are fine about this].
Hope this helps
Nickyx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

To be honest, Phil, I'm not yet sure.
the HT said I didnt have enough exam info to back up giving a 2;2
This is curious - why would more exam info be needed to assess "attitude"?

I'd be interested to know how accurate the head's other recommendations were when you get the overall summary.

What are the high level 5s? - 5a's?

What comments in reports, or in the headteacher's summary sheet, are used to describe ability and achievement?

Reading age looks very good.

Why 115 on the first test? Are there any extenuating circumstances?
Etienne
Phil

Post by Phil »

Yes they are 5a's. Maybe it was 3;2... :?

Reports I sent said encouraging things, working well and producing good work.

The HT summery sheet just had the numbers on and that he was recommended in this case.

It is the first time that the HT has filled in one of these as it is a new appointment from last Sept.

As for the other point re 115, I can inform you but would rather in private...

Thanks

Phil
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

5a's - good.

3:2 would not be such good news. Panels usually like to see a "1" or a "2" recommendation.

"Working well" has more to do with attitude.

"Excellent work" is what I was hoping for!

You'll get the overall summary for the school with the case papers - about a week before the hearing.

I'm not pressing you for the extenuating circumstances - just pointing out gently that (if they are convincing enough) they could be a factor in whether or not you have a good case. :)
Etienne
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks for your reply...

Yes it is a 3:2 the HT has said it was because he had got 119 VR in year 5 test....CATS? (think he got 887)

I have been reading about changes made to the HT recommendations....can you tell me how they work out the number?

thanks

Phil
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi Phil,
I’m sure Sally-Anne or Etienne will be along soon to explain further, but HT’s aren’t meant to base their recommendations on a single CATs score – in fact, they’re specifically advised not to do this.

If your HT has actually said this to you (as ours has), it leaves the door open for you to point this out politely to the panel. Something along the lines of: “The HT says she hasn’t recommended DS more highly for GS because of a disappointing Year 5 VR score, but we’d been led to believe that the recommendations shouldn’t be based solely on one test result…â€
Phil

Post by Phil »

HI thanks for that...yes I had looked at that today and have dropped a note to the HT...

If the HT has made an error can they put it right..if so how?

Phil
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Phil

All the Head needs to do is write a letter. If you are approaching your appeal date it might be best to take it with you on the day - 6 copies.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now