Appeal Feedback -Bucks Grammar

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't believe this line of questioning is usual.

Please don't panic if your appeal is about to take place, and you find yourself in the Civic Centre. There may be more than one panel operating there, and it is very unlikely to be the same panel as on a previous day.

The more evidence the better, but you are of course dependent on the school to supply this (apart from a year 5 report and routine school work).

The guidance to headteachers reads as follows:
Please be realistic when completing the appeal summary sheet ........ Panels recognise that you will wish to couch your information supportively but have expressed concerns regarding some aspects:
1. Predicted SATs – need to be realistic in the light of your recommendation and your school’s historic SATs results.
2. It is not ideal to include only parts of test batteries rather than the whole group of tests e.g. report all CATS taken, not just the scores of the individual element judged to support the case.
3. If there are extenuating circumstances that you are aware of, make reference to them at section 7. You don’t have to give detail – you can just say ‘ The school is aware of some family matters and Mrs Jones will be including details’.
4. Be aware that the panel will look carefully at the language you choose to use here. They will look for indications of the degree of support you are expressing. Please begin section 8 with a clear statement of your level of support for the child in
question.
This is not something you have any control over!
Etienne
Nibbles

Post by Nibbles »

Hi All Too Much,

Were you at the top of the stairs immediately on the left? We had a woman sitting in to observe as well, she was training to be a panel member. It will be interesting to compare the results, if it was the same panel.
her mum

Post by her mum »

We had our Appeal on Monday - thankfully it was successful. Our experience was very different as all the questions seemed to be directed at finding out how our daughter would cope with the stresses of a Grammar School. They all seemed very 'touchy feely' which we hadn't
expected. We also thought that the panel had made up their minds before the Appeal started. Trouble was - we couldn't guess what they thought!

We tried to make everything we said as positive as possible but the experience still left us shaken.

Good luck to everybody going through this and thank you to all the forum members - your comments have been very helpful.
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Hi Nibbles

We were at the top of the stairs and to the left. We didn't however have anyone training along with the other members. Ours was in the afternoon, so perhaps she had seen enough by then !

Dreading that letter dropping on the mat. No matter how I prepare myself I know I will cry like a baby.

Hope yours will be good; they have to let someone through. Fingers crossed for you.
All Too Much