Appeal dates and decision

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nicki6567

Appeal dates and decision

Post by Nicki6567 »

I'm concerned about something someone said to me this week, and hope that someone can clarify.

This person told me that the earlier you have your appeal, the more chance you have of succeeding, as the appeal dates are determined according to probabily of succeeding, and that if you really don't have a hope of a successful appeal you will be left till the end. She even said (at the beginning of this week) that if people hadn't had their appeal yet, they had 'no chance' as all the successful ones will have been heard.

From what I'm reading in the Appeal section, this is absolute rubbish. I'm hoping that someone better qualified to comment can reassure me that this isn't the case.
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hope not - ours is 2nd Feb! What is the latest appeal date does anyone know?
Mummog
Buckscat

Post by Buckscat »

I don't think you should panic! My understanding is that the date you get for your appeal is determined by how quickly you get your appeal in to the Council after the results are published. The panels have no idea of how many have already been successful when considering a case, something our panel made very clear to us today.

If it is any comfort, my daughter's friend appealed on 103 and with no headteacher's support and had her appeal on 5th January (turned down, no surprise) so this certainly doesn't follow.
Thanks

Catherine
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Nicki

I can confirm unequivocally that what this person told you is a complete load of twaddle!

Appeal hearings are allocated on a first come, first served basis as the paperwork arrives, taking account of any restrictions on availability that the parents may have given on their form.

The other myth that comes round every year is the one that says there is some sort of "quota" for the number of appeals that can be put through, and thus later appeals stand no chance. Again, this is utter rubbish. There are around 900 appeals every year, and if the panels believe that every one of those children deserves a GS place, they can put all of them through.

I am beginning to feel the need for a "Common Myths" Sticky on Appeals and on Bucks ...

Sally-Anne
Nicki6567

Post by Nicki6567 »

Thanks Sally-Anne.

You have reassured me. I think I already knew that it was a myth but it still panicked me, and we're not going to be there until this time next year!

I was enquiring on behalf of someone I know who had their appeal on Tuesday.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mummog wrote:Hope not - ours is 2nd Feb! What is the latest appeal date does anyone know?
It is usually around mid-February.

S-A
flinty

Post by flinty »

Last year we were told by the LEA rep that there were some appeals scheduled for half term - mainly for teachers who couldn't attend during term time.
thanks Flinty
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne wrote:I am beginning to feel the need for a "Common Myths" Sticky on Appeals and on Bucks ...

Sally-Anne
...I'll be happy to add a few gems that I've heard over the last few years... :)
Marylou
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Heard the one about certain schools only taking children that reach 141?!

What a load of rubbish - the schools have nothing to do with the selection, it all comes through the LA and is based on other criteria such as catchment, siblings, special needs etc. As long as the children reach 121 they are automatically through (and if earlier criteria apply). 2 of my children just passed and are at brilliant GSs.

There are loads more gems like that going round that terrify parents. Ignore all !

Always speak to the LA if in doubt, they enjoy a laugh like the rest of us !
All Too Much
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All too much -

Yes, I often hear the 141 one - even from Primary HTs!! It was true until about 2004 entry -

The other one is that boys got 5 extra marks but that went about 10 years ago when the age of transfer was changed to 11.

SD S-A yes - do start a 'Myths and Legends' section
:D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now