looming appeal date

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mummog

Post by mummog »

Exactly!
Roll on friday - can't wait to get it out of the way. As I mentioned in a previous post, we are lucky in having a good secondary school option so, even though we hope for the best, it does take some of the pressure off.

Mmg x
dejavu

Will be thinking of you!

Post by dejavu »

Mammog

TRY and get a good nights sleep. What time are you on? You have done all you possibly can. I will be glued to the site tomorrow to see how it went. Thoughts are with you.
many thanks
dejavu
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi Dejavu

I'm on stage at 11.10 tomorrow - but I must say that I'm slightly worried by the snowflakes drifting past my window as I type this :!:

I am currently re-writing my presentation again in the light of Phil's speech which he kindly PM'd to me yesterday. It was extremely well written and left me, as it obviously did the panel, in no doubt that his DS deserves the grammar school place he has now got. (Well done Phil - hope you got my return PM by the way). I am sure that he will soon be making it available to everyone on the appeals forum.

I had written a fairly concise presentation with very general comments about academic achievements, extenuating circumstances, etc, and had intended to discuss in much greater detail during the questioning. However, it occurred to me after reading Phil's speech which left absolutely no stone unturned, that should the panel not ask me the right questions, I could very easily end up not mentioning something vital. Yes, you're right, I should have worked this one out for myself but I was still thinking in terms of the original letter and trying to be as brief as possible. Anyway this is the tack I now intend taking. I have three ladies on my panel - I hope they treat me kindly, and I will of course let you know how it goes.

Mummog x
Phil

Post by Phil »

I tried with my speech to answer the questions that people were being asked....well the ones that people have told us about on here...im glad its helped...and I really hope it DOES help...my fingers are crossed for you..

Phil
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good luck mummog -
mummog

Post by mummog »

It's done! A few thoughts to share with you although I know that most of you have now completed your appeals.

My clerk and panel were extremely nice and put me at ease - in fact, the whole tone of the appeal was much lighter than I expected. The LEA rep was charming and chatted to me after the event, commenting on several things I had said in my presentation and agreeing with me "I know exactly what you meant by...", etc. Like a number of others, I got the impression that decisions had been made before I entered the room.

Usual questions:
How was she on the morning of tests
How did she feel after the tests
How did she react to the results letter
Are the children grouped into sets for literacy, etc
Did she feel well prepared
How did her peers fare in the 11+
Can you think of any examples where she had overcome her nerves
(this question enabled me to play one of my trump cards!)

I had only included the cover sheet of DDs Yr 5 report and they asked about this. I explained that the other sections covering specific subjects were written in very generic terms with DDs name slotted in here and there and therefore did not add very much to my appeal. At this, all nodded and agreed that they had come across this type of report before. In my summing up, I explained that, as I had handed out several new pieces of evidence for them to consider, I had taken the decision not to take her school books with me as they may not have had time to look through them. They were happy with this.

It is a strange, flat sort of feeling when you have finished something that has taken up so much of your time and effort like this - I couldn't wait to get back to the comfort of the forum where it feels all warm and snuggly with lovely people being so supportive of each other :)

It struck me this morning that this is our equivalent of tutoring - how would we have managed to get through without it!

Mummog x

(PS: Dejavu, if you are around, would it be OK to PM you - something is concerning me about today)
dejavu

Glad the trump card worked!

Post by dejavu »

Hi Mammog

I am constantly on line thinking about you! Now you have gone through with it you cannot change anything. Let's just hope you have a "normal" panel - unlike the one that we had last year (though they were well past their sell by date!)
many thanks
dejavu
dejavu

Sorry for the ageist comment

Post by dejavu »

Ooops .... Sorry about sounding ageist. Must remember to be PC......if only I could... as I am 56....oh, my gs son just told me I am 52....at least I think he belongs to me. I really did think I was 56 - pressure is obviously getting to me...
many thanks
dejavu
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi Dejavu

Thanks for your kind words. I know you are absolutely right, I cannot change a thing, and I don't think that I necessarily would. I feel that I covered everything I wanted to say. Here's hoping.

I really want to post a comment on the forum but want to check with someone (one of the old hands or, even better, Sally-Anne herself) first! Perhaps someone could just permit me to run it past them before I do so?

Thanks again
Mummog x
mummog

Post by mummog »

DejaVu

Tell me about it! Good luck for Monday by the way.

Mmg
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now