We failed!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

panickingmum

Thank You all

Post by panickingmum »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your words of comfort. I don't feel at the moment that I can face the strain of 12+, of maybe failing again or worse passing and not getting a place. My DS hasnt even heard of 12+ at this stage and I don't think I will be the one to tell her. We will try and get her into a localish comprehensive where I am sure she will thrive, being in the top sets will make her happy and she will forget all this eventually!! Incidentally she is being a real trooper and is now coping better than me, sometimes the children are the teachers and not vice versa! Still can't sleep by the way!

PM
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Panicking Mum

Most people feel the same way about the 12+ straight after an Appeal. Take your time, recover from this ordeal, and make your decision during or after the summer.

You need to register for the 12+ in the autumn, but that is still not a commitment to actually taking the test. You can decide almost up until the actual day whether you want to go through with it.

I suspect your DD may hear about the 12+ before long, so be ready for questions. I am over on the Bucks section if you need me. :D

Best wishes to you and your DD
Sally-Anne
panickingmum

Clerks notes

Post by panickingmum »

Hi Sally-Anne,

How do we get the clerks notes? Can we email the person noted on the decision letter?

PM
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'll leave Sally-Anne to deal with your particular LA, but for general advice about seeking access to the clerk's notes see the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... #section-D
D4
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Panicking Mum

An email won't work, because you need to enclose a cheque!

Write to the name and address on your letter, give the reference number of your appeal and your child's name and D.o.B., and request the notes under the Data Protection Act. Enclose a cheque for £10.00, payable to Buckinghamshire County Council.

Sally-Anne
panickingmum

What about a complaint?

Post by panickingmum »

Hi Sally-Anne,

After 1 1/2hours sleep last night I reached a conclusion about what had gone wrong and was going to leave it at getting the notes etc. Today I have talked with someone else appealing and found out that they received a copy of the invigilators report. I did not have this with my notes and had asked the school for a copy. They contacted County who said they did not have it and asked school to send it in and they would send me a copy. I then contacted County as I had not received it, all a few days before the appeal. I spoke to someone in admissions who said a copy would go to Appeals and I might get a copy if relevant (I didnt). During the appeal we discussed the fact that there had been disturbances and they asked the LEA rep who had the copy and said nothing in the first but something in the second. I am really cheesed off as I think this made us look bad and I had emailed the school re the problems as had another parent I thought they would have this info. but obviously not. I guessed that the invigilator's report was not for our eyes only to find another appellant gets it from County. NOT FAIR (yes I am shouting). I know it won't do me much good but I now intend to tell them! Is it the same person as for the clerks notes or do I have to moan to the Ombudsman?

PM
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi PM

Before you do anything else, you need to get the clerk's notes. They will tell you the grounds on which the appeal was turned down. If they state words to the effect of "the academic evidence did not justify upholding the appeal", then there is no point in going down the route of chasing the problem of the invigilator's report.

Hoever, if the notes suggest that the mitigating circumstances did not account for the shortfall in marks, or do not include references to the disturbances, it is worth following up on.

I am sending you a PM.

Sally-Anne
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Sally- Anne can I PM you on that last point (wording of rejection letter)?
Thanks
Bouga
lacey

Post by lacey »

I might be stupid here but I had never heard of the 12+ how do you find out about it?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Bouga

You can certainly PM me about it.

Lacey - the 12+ exists in Bucks and in some other areas. I am afraid I don't know if it exists in Medway. Perhaps you might try posting on the Kent section about it?

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now