Feeling glum

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

At the moment, Rob, - from a legal point of view - there could not possibly be any restriction on what academic evidence or extenuating circumstances are submitted to an independent panel.

I note the suggestion panels might perhaps "talk to the children" to assess how they've been affected. That too would be illegal. The role of the panel is to assess whatever evidence is presented, and they are prohibited from interviewing and doing their own assessment of the child. I suppose this could be changed by legislation, but to avoid any suggestion that panels are not qualified for this sort of work, they would presumably need a degree in some such discipline as psychiatry, and ought to spend at least an hour or two with each child to satisfy the parent that a really professional job has been done. I can see appeals stretching into the new academic year. :lol:
(This presupposes that volunteers can be found for this sort of unpaid and demanding work - some authorities already find it difficult enough to recruit panel members.)

I have posed this question on the forum more than once before:
How many marks allowance would you make for a "much loved grandparent" who died a week before the tests? How about two weeks before the test? Three weeks? Four weeks? (The really difficult bit, of course, is that different children react in different ways, so please come up with a workable solution.)’
For some reason I am still waiting for a definitive answer. :)

Capers is absolutely right to say
Appeals are not black and white, they're fuzzy.
The 11+ provides rough justice (because no testing system is perfect), but it's very clinical. There are no arguments. You reach the qualifying score or you don't. There is no discretion.

The appeals system also provides rough justice (because it can never be a clinical exercise). I suspect that it does come up with the right answer in the majority of cases, but it doesn't work for everyone. Borderline cases are particularly difficult.

Sharone - thank you so much for your calming words at what is a very emotional time.
Etienne
panickingmum

12+ worries

Post by panickingmum »

Hi Buckscat,

Your comments about the 12+ have been worrying me too. Which school does your elder daughter go to?

I havent even mentioned 12+ to my DS. We will try to get her in a local Comp. which hopefully will provide more scope than the Upper school which I felt was like a big Primary when we visited it. Also if she settles in we will keep quiet. We will register for 12+ and see how things go but if she takes it even, make it quite clear that it is not a foregone conclusion that a place would be available.

It is still very hard to take and everytime I go over the whole matter I end up feeling sick! How she didnt pass in the first place and how she is one of the 30 something % that didnt get through with her mark on appeal when it seemed such a good case. However I also worry that if things went well and she took 12+ passed and heh presto got a place at GS, how hard would the adjusting be? My DS wanted to go to the High School and I know for eg. that they do some subjects not done elsewhere so how would she catch up being a whole year behind, let alone the social problems. Even though I know she should be there it almost seems too hazardous a path to go down.

PM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Panicking mum,

Please - as a teacher and a mum - 12+ is a good route. The children integrate well and easily catch up in some areas they may be ahead if the have done topics in a different order.

You do need to be realistic about which schools have places - if you look at this years booklet it is quite clear about that.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =177570625

Although the many placea at AHS were a historical 'blip' -

The probablities are encouraging -

To see your child doing well in a GS after not qualifying is worth it :D
panickingmum

Not looking good!

Post by panickingmum »

Hi Guest55,

I have read through the information and it doesnt bode well. We live a long way out in the catchment area for our GS and there was only 1 place available in the 2 possible schools. Basically we dont stand a chance! If you dont get in during the 11+ living on the outskirts of the County is a definite penalty it seems! I think we are going to have to resign ourselves to years of Uppers or Comps or move!

Thanks for the info. though!
PM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The data does not record successful appeals and we do know of several successful ones last year that aren't recorded in these figures.