1:3 0
2:1 0
2:2 0
2:3 0
3:1 0
3:2 0
3:3 0
4:4 23 (0)

I'd be interested to hear anyone's comments as to how they think these recomendations could influence an apppeal hearing.

Lilly
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Lilly

I would guess that it's unusual to see so many "1s" but no "2s" or "3s". It wouldn't have mattered if most of them had qualified, but they haven't.

I suspect the panel won't know what to make of this.

If asked, the best thing you can do is to downplay the whole thing and say "I think my son should probably have been a '2' - I never thought he would get a top score, but he was expected to qualify."

The panel will have the evidence of the school's NFER score (118, if I remember correctly), so you need to appear realistic.
Etienne
lilly

Post by lilly »

Dear Etienne,

Thanks for the advice, we had our appeal last week and we did mention the fact that the head teacher gave everyone a 1:1. We asked if that what was actually written by the head was the most significant, rather than the rating. I condidered for a long while whether to mention anything or not. We briefly said a bit about why we thought the head gave the ratings he did, whether it was relevant to our case or not I dont know but at the very least.

We had a written speech and to pass some of the time waiting for the result I have gone over it to see if we could have done things differently. I have added notes about the whole hearing and the questions we were asked. I did consider putting it on here in case it would be of help to anyone else, but it is a fairly long peice, (though it only took a couple of minutes to read) and I could just be repeating what others have said elsewhere. I would be happy to forward it to you, and you could be the judge of whether theres anything that could be of help to anyone in the future. I am happy for any of it to be posted. I have **** any relevant names that we used.

We are now waiting to see how we got on. But I would like to pass on out sincere thanks for the replies to our posts and particularly the most helpful Q & A section, it really has helped us. Regardless of how we get on our case as a whole was much better put that if we were left to our own devices.

Thank you very much

Lilly
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now