primary appeals.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Sorry Etienne. my fault.

Initially that is the question I wanted reassurance on because I had advised a parent to put down alternatives even though I know many who are not doing this. My worry was that she could end up being penalised for doing this if correct procedure was not followed. Your responses have reassured me that this would not be the case as she would have grounds for appeal and the school can accommodate her so she would not lose out.

Until I read Caper's comment I was under the impression that all the parents who get rejections would be able to appeal. As this is their nearest school and because there is room for them at the school I assumed they had a strong chance of getting places even though we would be exceeding our admission no. However I am now confused as to what grounds they would have if both the criterea are fulfilled as in 1 & 2.

In regards to your first point none of the classes throughout the school would exceed 30, infact this is more likely to happen if these children are not admitted as jobs could be at risk due to the number of current y6's due to leave. Apparantly that was done by stealth, my eldest son should have been refused a place 2 years ago meaning the school would have lost 4 potential pupils even though the overall numbers of the school were still below the authority prescribed number.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Provided there is no question of teaching groups exceeding 30, either immediately or in the following two years, then Capers' comments do not apply.

It would be an ordinary two-stage appeal.

See section C:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... #section-C

In particular, C2.

Hope this helps.
Etienne
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi Tolstoy, I have tried PMing again but do not seem able to get it to work. Looks like you've got top quslity advice now anyway. Good luck!
mad?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Yes Mad? thankfully I have but appreciate the effort on your part :) .

Etienne that has been very useful and it is what I assumed from the appeals I have been reading about but glad to have it confirmed

[/quote]Another factor that might influence the result is the number of appeals being heard at the same time. If you are appealing for a very popular school immediately after what is known as “National Allocations Dayâ€
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Tolstoy wrote:So would setting an admissions number that was too low for the catchment area be grounds under rule 2 then Capers?
You could certainly try arguing that.
The set up for the year will be c20 in reception, c25 in the y1/2 class. Currently the y1/2 room is small but we have been told they will be relocated to one of the larger classrooms.

We would also consider what would happen to that class as it moves through KS1.
Capers
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Tolstoy wrote:Also could you explain to me how the system works as apparently there is a stage before an independent appeals panel.

The allocations come out on the 1st and people have two weeks to ask for reconsideration. Am I right in assuming that at this stage they will only be allocated a place if one becomes available and that the authority won't consider upping the admissions number no matter what a person's circumstances?
I think so. I'm not an expert on that stage of the process.
Capers
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:First of all, is there any possibility a teaching group could exceed 30? - It's not clear to me whether Infant Class Size legislation might apply.
If it does, then the LEA will write to the school, instructing them to resolve the matter. This would normally be by employing an additional teacher, with all the cost implication that entails (and it would affect ALL the other pupils in the school).

If the school ignores that, then as I understand it, the LEA reports the school to Central Government. Not sure what happens then. But it would also be mentioned in any OFSTED.
Capers
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:Provided there is no question of teaching groups exceeding 30, either immediately or in the following two years, then Capers' comments do not apply.
See, I said I wasn't an expert. Good job at appeals we have Clerks well versed in the law!
Capers