looming appeal date

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mummog

looming appeal date

Post by mummog »

Hi all
I have posted before but not for some time. Now have appeal date of 2nd Feb so am trying to gather my thoughts in preparation. I hope you don't mind me checking a couple of things with you. Headteacher recommendations are as follows:

1.1 9 (9)
1.2 4 (3)
1.3 1 (1)
2.1 1 (1)
2.2 11 (5)
3.1 0 (0)

My daughter is one of the failed 2.2's (116/116). Headteacher's comments were very supportive "motivated and able" "natural aptitude for learning" "her personal qualities and academic abilities combine to highlight that she is very clearly a pupil who should continue her education in a grammar school". Does a 2.2 mean that he considered her to be borderline and, if so, would the comments bear more weight than the recommendation. Hope this makes sense.

On another point, I know that it is not a good idea to cite nerves as a mitigating factor - after all, who wouldn't be nervous sitting the 11+. However, my daughter's Year 5 report barely mentions her academic abilities and refers almost exclusively to her personality traits ("seeks reassurance from her friends", "must try not to rely too heavily on her friends", "can lead her to worry unnecessarily").
I am not sure whether to show them this report and to mention her general nervousness or not - it is something which affects her in many ways, not least in test papers both internal and external.

Many thanks for all your fantastic advice and support.
Mummog
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mummog

The 2:2 recommendation should not be linked to the predicted score (although that was the system until last year). It is about suitability for a GS, and the Head clearly feels that your daughter is suitable, although with some slight reservations.

The Head's recommendations are pretty accurate - the 1s are very good, and although the 2s are only 50% accurate, 2:2 is often difficult to get right. Some Heads will give children the benefit of the doubt by recommending them as a 2:2, rather than leaving them out altogether. It would be interesting to know how many sat the test, and therefore how many children were not recommended at all.

The comments in the reports suggest to me that lack of self-confidence or self-belief, rather than nerves, is your daughter's problem. If she is also a late birthday perhaps maturity is a factor?

Unfortunately your main problem is the double 116 - you need to prove to the panel that this score does not represent the "limit" of her ability.

Sally-Anne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thanks for your reply Sally-Anne
In response to your question, 29 of my DD's year group sat the papers but were not recommended. Of these, only 2 passed. What bearing might this have? (21 0f 55 passed in total this year). Also, you are right about my DDs maturity - she is immature but has a December birthday. If I mentioned this to the panel, do you think they would automatically assume that she would not cope with the pressure at a GS?

Thanks
Mummog
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mummog

It helps that there were quite a large number who sat the test and didn't pass, because it suggests that the Head was careful to recommend only those children s/he really believed might pass. The two passes who were not recommended are unimportant - there are always one or two surprises.

The point about maturity is tricky to make with a December birthday. However, if you have strong academic evidence, plus comments that suggest lack of confidence and immaturity, it could help to explain a missing mark or two caused by nerves. It will really depend on the overall balance of the evidence.

Panels do not assume that a lack of maturity will make a child unable to cope at a GS.

Sally-Anne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi all
Still gathering ammo for appeal on Monday. Can I just remind you (in a nutshell) of my DD's case:

116/116
2.2 recommendation from HT with good comments
Predicted 5's in SATs (Level 5 reading since Yr 5, L3 end Key Stage 1)
Certificate awarded recently for excellent achievement in Science
Extenuating circumstance - anxiety (commented upon several times in her Yr 5 report)

I have just had her independently tested for reading, the results as follows:

Reading Age (WRAT 3 test): 17 years (95th centile)
Reading Comprehension (Access Reading Test) 15.9 years (98th centile)
Actual age : 11.1)

I must admit that I was thrilled with these results as I feel they confirm my belief in my DD's abilities, but can you give me some idea of how much weight they will add to my case?

Very many thanks to all you marvellous people out there !

Mummog
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mummog

Those scores will help your case - you need to take 6 copies of the report with you.

Looking back at your case (thank you for summarising it again, and sticking to one thread - very helpful indeed!), the missing mention is Maths.

If that is a slight weak spot for your daughter it could explain some of the missing marks?

You also need to be prepared for questions such as whether she rushed the last few questions, whether she finished both papers, etc. You should also check with her if there were any disturbances in the test room. If there were, then you can ask the LA rep to confirm that from the invigilators' reports.

Sally-Anne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thanks for your very speedy reply Sally-Anne.

You've realised why I never mention the maths - it is indeed a bit of a weakness although much improved this year. DD finds any numerical questions more difficult and when worrying about time tends to rush through these sections, guessing at answers. She did, however, finish both papers with about 30 seconds to spare (we had been really working on her timing in the few weeks leading up to the tests)
How much of a negative do you think a weakness in maths might be, given her strength in English?

Mummog
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

How independent was the independent assessment?

The panel may not be familiar with some of these tests, so unless your evidence already includes an explanation, I suggest you take an information sheet with you. (No more than one side of A4 per test, 5-6 copies.)

I've quickly found a link for WRAT 4:
http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/store/ ... -test.aspx
No doubt you can find one for WRAT 3.

Good luck.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mummog wrote:How much of a negative do you think a weakness in maths might be, given her strength in English?
She is predicted 3xLevel 5s, so it isn't a huge weakness. No child can be a complete all-rounder in the core curriculum areas - there will always be something that isn't quite as strong, and panels do recognise that.

You can make the point about tending to panic a little on numerical questions though.

Sally-Anne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thanks Sally-Ann and Etienne

Etienne asks:
How independent was the independent assessment?

Totally independent - I approached her about DD at very short notice and she kindly agreed to conduct the tests at her home this morning. As testing is normally done at her place of work she did not have the WRAT 4 available to her today - hence the use of WRAT 3 which has obviously now been superceeded. However she confirms that this should be acceptable in this case - would you agree?

Having been thrilled to receive the results this morning, I am now thinking, can this possibly my DD, or do they sound too good to be true?
(confused face)

On another note, how does one use the emoticons?

Thanks
Mummog[/list]