Eddas

Re: STICKY: Feedback from all areas

Post by Eddas »

• 1. Local Authority area in which the appeal took place:

Kent

• 2. What you were appealing against?
• a. non-qualification only?
• b. oversubscription only?
• c. both non-qualification and oversubscription?

Non-subscription primarily but also oversubscription

• 3. Name of school you were appealing for:

We had two appeals; Invicta and Maidstone Grammar School for Girls

• 4. Was this a school where the governors are the admission authority?
(e.g. academy, foundation or voluntary aided)

No

• 5. Approx. date of appeal hearing:

Both heard mid May, a week apart from each other

• 6. How many days in advance of the hearing, including weekends, did you receive the case papers?

About 3 weeks before

• 7. Where was the appeal held?
(e.g. council offices)

Both at County Hall in Maidstone

• 8a. Did your individual hearing start more or less on time?

Both started on time, infact one was slightly earlier than the stated time

• 8b. If not, how late was it in starting?

N/A

• 9. Do you know what sort of independent appeal panel you had? For example:
• a. A panel appointed by the Local Authority? - because it's dealing with a community school for which the LA is the admission authority.
• b. A panel appointed by the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority.
• c. A Local Authority appointed panel acting at the request of the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority, and they 'hired' a panel from the LA.
• d. Some other panel acting at the request of the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority, and they 'hired' a panel not from the LA but from a commercial organisation, charity, or some other body.

Independent Panel appointed by the local authority

• 10. Who was on the panel?
(if you were told, e.g. a retired teacher, a businessman, and school governor - no names, please.)

3 people, it wasn’t stated why they were there, the papers did state their names although I
didn’t pay attention to whether the people in the room were who it said in my letter!

• 11. Was there a group hearing?
(This is where stage 1 - the LA or school case - is presented to all the parents as a group)

N/A in Kent

• 12. Did the appeal follow the recommended order of business?
• a. the case for the admission authority;
• b. questioning by the appellants and panel
• c. the case for the appellants;
• d. questioning by the admission authority and panel;
• e. summing up by the admission authority; and
• f. summing up by the appellants.

Yes, and the Chair of each of the two panels explained the process before we started

• 13a. Had your case already been considered by a Review Panel?
(sometimes applies to non-qualification)

N/A in kent

• 13b. If so, were you told that, because your case had already been reviewed, the only issue for the appeal panel was whether the review had been conducted properly?

N/A

• 14. What questions were you asked about your case?

Why dd had not passed the maths section?
How would dd feel if she was lower academically than all the others at GS ?
What books she reads (both panels asked this!)
What dd does out of school
How would she get to school
What does dd like at school, eg English/Science
Would dd do extra work to improve her maths
What did dd know about the school we were appealling for
How many from her school passed the Kent Test

• 15. What were the panel like?
(e.g. Were they friendly? polite? considerate?)

Panel 1, 2 members were really friendly and the 3rd slightly more ‘frosty’ but still perfectly nice and made us feel at ease. The frosty man asked the tougher questions!

Panel 2, were all lovely and friendly

Both panels were good at explaining what they had to do and when we would get an answer. Both panels understood how stressful the process is for parents and made the process better than I had imagined!

• 16. As far as you know, was the representative of the admission authority left alone with the panel at any point in time? (It's acceptable for the representative to be waiting outside the room, but he/she must not be already in the room with the panel when you arrive, or remain in the room with the panel when you leave.)

No, they entered and left when we did

• 17. Were you asked at the end of the hearing whether you had had sufficient time to state your case (or words to that effect)?

Yes both panels asked. The first made a point of saying make sure you have because once you’ve gone that’s it and he was more than happy to wait a minute or two to make sure!

• 18. Did you feel rushed?

No

• 19. How long did the hearing last?
(excluding the group hearing, if there was one)

The first hearing was around 30 mins and he second about 15 minutes

• 20. Were you told you could telephone for the decision?
(most authorities do not allow this, although some do)

No

• 21. If you have the result, was your appeal successful?

Our first appeal was successful, this was Invicta
The second appeal was not successful for Maidstone Grammar School for Girls

The MGGS appeal letter does however say that they assess dd as suitable for MGGS and that she is academically capable of thriving there, however they do not have space for her. So I assume we passed the non-qualification bit but she was just too low on the list of girls who made that list and then they considered oversubscription and had to say no.

• 22. How long did you have to wait for the decision, including weekends?

One week

• 23. Success rates for appeals for this school (if applicable, and if known):
• a. on this occasion

I know that MGGS upheld 45 appeals and there were about 80, but they were undersubscribed. They offered 12 over PAN on appeal.

I don’t know for Invicta but there were over 90 appeals and they said in our hearing that they were full (PAN 192) but had space to add either another 1 or 2 forms for Sept 2015 so that would be 32-64 extra places.

• b. in previous years

I collected a lot of information so thought I’d share it all!!!

Invicta;

Year PAN On roll Appeals heard Appeals successful
2010 175 174 41 22
2011 175 189 38 23
2012 175 184 37 35
2013 192 192 52 40
2014 192 218 49 40 they added an extra form

MGGS;
Year PAN On roll Appeals heard Appeals successful
2010 No info No info 30 10
2011 175 178 38 15
2012 175 181 56 9
2013 180 152 29 26
2014 180 157 29 22

• 24. Any other comments:

We had a positive outcome but after the hearing and before the outcome on my thread I wrote:

“All I can say is I am indebted to this forum for all the wonderful advice and to a couple of people I know in real life who have given me advice from their own experiences. Without this forum my appeal would have been very different.

My advice to anyone wanting to appeal is to read everything you can about the process and to ask questions so that you understand the process you are about to undertake.

I have no idea what the outcome of our appeal will be but I am happy that I have represented my daughter as well as I could have and I wouldn't change anything that I have done. Not even the stupid questions I've asked and the worrying and stressing, the hours I wasted typing letters and hearing notes to then totally change them and delete most of the previous drafts!!”
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Our Bucks School appeal (Stage 2)- two schools:

SCHOOL 1

• 1. Local Authority area in which the appeal took place: Bucks, Aylesbury Vale.

• 2. What you were appealing against? Both non-qualification and oversubscription

• 3. Name of school you were appealing for: SHF (Sir Henry Floyd)

• 4. Was this a school where the governors are the admission authority? (Yes, it's an academy, so the governors are the admission authority - Moderator)

• 5. Approx. date of appeal hearing: Stage 1- 11th May, Stage 2 -19th May

• 6. How many days in advance of the hearing, including weekends, did you receive the case papers? Approx. 2 weeks

• 7. Where was the appeal held? Bucks County Council Offices in Aylesbury

• 8. Did your individual hearing start more or less on time? No - time given in letter was incorrect, should have been earlier. It appears a second letter should have been posted with new time but we did not receive it (other school we are also appealing for also sent out an amended time but we received this one). They were very apologetic for the error, so fitted us in at the end of the appeals for that day and then still had to wait 50 mins after newly allotted time.

• 9. Do you know what sort of independent appeal panel you had? (corrected - one member was a governor of a school) (Are you sure? This would have been unlawful - Moderator)

• 10. Who was on the panel? Retired policeman, retired accountant, retirement business woman

• 11. Was there a group hearing? Yes

• 12. Did the appeal follow the recommended order of business? Yes - the hearing took 1hr 10 mins

• 13a. Had your case already been considered by a Review Panel? Yes

• 13b. If so, were you told that, because your case had already been reviewed, the only issue for the appeal panel was whether the review had been conducted properly? Yes

FCO:
We focused purely on the areas were specific to our case. Information not supplied to us at point of review application which did not allow us a clear/informed choice as to whether to go to review/appeal. We also had supporting documentation to this. The LA rep did agree that the school should have kept more detailed records regarding the period in Y5 and to not have these details to hand was no excuse from the school to not inform us of aspects relating to detail on review paperwork. One slight concern that the LA rep believed us to live OOC! We did correct him on that point. LA apologised for the error.

ACADEMIC EVIDENCE:
We presented DCs grades supplied by the school (before Easter) which showed DC was already working at the levels predicted for end of year, especially the writing level which is still being assessed till end June. Explained that we did request an update from the school but could not commit to final level till end June. LA rep confirmed to panel that final assessments are up to end of June. Also supplied letter confirming DC working for L6 in maths. They questioned DCs result in the 11+ and we said that the VR was not reflective, maths & NVR were very high results; panel did not know the individual results! We referred them to the section in the appeal notes they had where the individual scores were listed – they only knew the overall STT result! The panel stated that the 11+ was not a curriculum test but based on children's capacity to understand the specific areas tested.

CASE FOR PREJUCIDE:
We listed them in bullet point - catchment school, local school transport provided (which is used by older siblings), EP report confirming DC academically more suited to academic environment and socially would suit school with academically minded peers, DCs exception strong maths/NVR ability suits a school with strong results in this area. After speaking one panel member said that whatever the decision, we should be proud of our DC as they could see from the evidence/EP report DC was a very motivated/hard-working child and would do well. Wasn’t sure what to make of that – it felt a bit like someone putting their arm around you before giving you bad news!
LA rep referred to comment in DCs Y5 report that pointed to issues on focus/dip in concentration, later improving at end of year but report not actually referring specifically to medical condition. LA rep questioned if the school were aware of DCs issues during Y5. Yes they were - letter was sent to the school once diagnosed and teacher was also informed. Details/letters are on school file. LA rep asked whether Doctor’s letter confirming diagnosis for review application was sent to school prior to application being submitted. Yes, it was. LA rep asked if school came back to us on this. No, we did not hear anything further. Only after review did school then agree DCs medical condition and that it may have had an effect on DCs class learning during Y5.
We did ask if they wanted to look at DCs books. They did.

• 15. What were the panel like? They appeared friendly and listened. We put our presentation to the panel, giving a copy of our notes to the Clerk who was very grateful.

• 16. As far as you know, was the representative of the admission authority left alone with the panel at any point in time? No

• 17. Were you asked at the end of the hearing whether you had had sufficient time to state your case (or words to that effect)? Yes

• 18. Did you feel rushed? No (even though due to an admin error our appeal was added on at the end, a long day for the panel - they never made us feel rushed).

• 19. How long did the hearing last? Stage 2 - 1 hour 10mins (plus additional 5 mins whilst the panel looked at school work).

• 20. Were you told you could telephone for the decision? No, a letter will be sent out within 5 days of the last hearing.

• 21. If you have the result, was your appeal successful? No :(

We felt we did everything we could and although the LA rep agreed there were errors regarding the review process and information supplied by the school ... the panel did not. Their decision was based on the fact that the review itself was FCO (fair, consistent, objective) even though we didn't challenge the decision of the review panel but the process and information supplied to us at the time in order to make a clear/informed decision to opt for a review or an appeal.

SCHOOL 2

• 1. Local Authority area in which the appeal took place: Bucks, Aylesbury Vale.

• 2. What you were appealing against? Both non-qualification and oversubscription

• 3. Name of school you were appealing for: AGS (Aylesbury Grammar School)

• 4. Was this a school where the governors are the admission authority? (Yes, it's an academy, so the governors are the admission authority - Moderator)

• 5. Approx. date of appeal hearing: Stage 1- 12th June, Stage 2 -24th June

• 6. How many days in advance of the hearing, including weekends, did you receive the case papers? Approx. 2 weeks

• 7. Where was the appeal held? Bucks County Council Offices in Aylesbury

• 8. Did your individual hearing start more or less on time? No – 35 mins late.

• 9. Do you know what sort of independent appeal panel you had? (corrected- one member was a governor of a school) (The second panel member listed below was non-lay - Moderator)

• 10. Who was on the panel? Retired/adult-education, Retired/secondary-education & governor, Retired Doctor

• 11. Was there a group hearing? Yes

• 12. Did the appeal follow the recommended order of business? Yes - the hearing took 45 mins.

• 13a. Had your case already been considered by a Review Panel? Yes

• 13b. If so, were you told that, because your case had already been reviewed, the only issue for the appeal panel was whether the review had been conducted properly? Yes

FCO:
We focused purely on the areas were specific to our case. Information not supplied to us at point of review application which did not allow us a clear/informed choice as to whether to go to review/appeal. We also had supporting documentation to this. The LA rep at this point made no comment.

ACADEMIC EVIDENCE:
The panel started off questioning DCs medical issues. Having a Doctor on the panel, we were prepared for more questions relating to this but we were asked some really tough questions that at some stage were quite hard to answer (not being a medical expert). We could only answer the medical issues DC experienced, the decision of the Doctor and how DC is now post diagnosis. It was tough questioning and made us both feel a bit deflated, it felt like he was trying to challenge our Doctor’s decision on diagnosis but we could not answer this as we could only go on the decision of our DCs doctor and his diagnosis of our DCs problems at that time.
The panel did ask why they should consider our DC who is predicted two L5s and one L4+ when there were others coming to appeal with at least three L5s. This is a fair comment as the decision must be based on academic ability. However I had managed to get the school the confirm in writing (just the day before the appeal) that DCs assessment grades for end Y6 are two L5s and one L6; this was presented to the panel as additional evidence. This panel had definitely read all our notes and the EP report, as they raised DCs social issues at current school (mentioned in EP report). This panel were not just interested in DCs academic abilities but social needs too, i.e. what type of school suited DCs personality, type of friendships and DCs maturity.
We had also mentioned the small admin error in the paperwork that the review/moderation panel had noted DC had only one DC at grammar, even though we and the EP report had mentioned two older siblings. They asked what levels they had been in Y6 and we explained that their Y6 were not as high as this DC. We did have the paperwork to support this but the panel said it was not necessary. The panel asked what year they were in and the panel did comment that they were not a lot older than this DC. We confirmed yes that is correct.

It was at this point that the LA rep spoke up saying that there was not a lot of detail mentioned within DCs report of focus/concentration issues in Y5 and nothing mentioned regarding DCs actual medical issues in the main summary. We pointed out that the Y5 teacher had mentioned in the report focus issues and dip in concentration that improved by end of year. We also pointed out that the school were aware of DCs issues; we had been called in a few times to collect DC (especially during the first term) re medical problems. We reiterated that the school have now confirmed DCs medical diagnosis and the effect on DC during Y5, that the panel/LA rep can clearly see from DCs progress reports there was clearly a significant difference in DCs progress levels in Y5 compared to previous years and Y6 confirmed levels.
The LA rep then went back to FCO, stating that he fully believed the review had been FCO and that the review process had been correct. We again repeated to the LA the points raised with the panel regarding the lack of information supplied to us in order to make a clear/informed choice to review or appeal. In addition, errors had been made due to the Y5 teacher leaving at the end of the year, no Head from the Easter to September; no-one taking responsibility at the school with regards to DCs records. The panel at this stage did firmly point out that this had already been discussed and that our points already been presented to panel at part one of this hearing under FCO. We weren’t sure if the panel was firmly reminding us of this fact or the LA rep whom had actually raised the matter again (not us)!

CASE FOR PREJUCIDE:
We listed them in bullet point – older siblings at school (point of admission criteria), catchment school, local school transport provided (which is used by older siblings), EP report confirming DC academically more suited to academic environment and socially would suit school with academically minded peers, DCs exception strong maths/NVR ability suits a school with strong results in this area.

We then summarised our points, FCO, academic evidence and prejudice; then thanked the panel for their time. We did ask if they wanted to look at DCs books. They did.

• 15. What were the panel like? They were pleasant and listened. They did ask some hard questions (especially the Doctor) and as others have mentioned, was certainly not an easy ride. Felt less confident in this appeal that we actually got our point across on FCO than the previous appeal, which as we did not win that appeal does make us feel that we have already lost this one too!

• 16. As far as you know, was the representative of the admission authority left alone with the panel at any point in time? No

• 17. Were you asked at the end of the hearing whether you had had sufficient time to state your case (or words to that effect)? Yes

• 18. Did you feel rushed? No

• 19. How long did the hearing last? Stage 2 – 45mins (plus additional 5 mins whilst the panel looked at school work).

• 20. Were you told you could telephone for the decision? No, a letter will be sent out within 5 days of the last hearing.

• 21. If you have the result, was your appeal successful? Will let you know and update later. But after the decision of the first panel, feeling less confident this time! - UPDATED: No :(

Again the decision of the panel was that the review was FCO, and from the information presented to the review panel at the time was FCO. Our challenge was that the process had not be clear, affecting our decision to opt for review (school had omitted important detail that could have affected the outcome of review, which they confirmed afterwards) and had we known that not having that important piece of information may have affected the decision of the review panel we may have reconsidered going for review and opt just for appeal/over-subscription) - the panel however, although acknowledging this factor, based the FCO decision not on the process but on the information presented to the review panel at that time.

We felt we did everything we could. Challenged the FCO, presented additional academic evidence and school work. Very tough process.

Many apologies if the information is very long, but we had two very detailed appeals and I have tried to give as much detail as possible, hopefully I have not waffled on too much and it makes sense!

THE PROCESS: If having to go through review/appeal I would say to anyone, only opt for review if your DC has strong end of Y5 levels in SATs/CATs and has had strong consistent levels year-on-year; leading to predicted high levels end Y6. Otherwise I would recommend opt for appeal, where you have longer to obtain academic evidence to submit to the panel and challenge over-subscription (if necessary). In addition, if submitting exceptional circumstances when going for review - ensure all paperwork is submitted, nothing is left out; make sure you have all the information from Doctor/medical adviser and the school's acknowledgement of this factor; because once the review is decided an appeal panel will challenge that the review panel made their decision on the information provided, it was not their error that information had been omitted and the decision at that time was therefore FCO. Obviously this is just my personal opinion, based on my experience of the process, in the end you do what you feel right for your DC at that time.

(Moderator: thanks for corrections, just typed it quickly up whilst all still in mind, few typos - hopefully corrected :) )
Last edited by heartmum on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heartmum x x x
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

Private
Last edited by NanoNano on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

Private
Last edited by NanoNano on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

Private
Last edited by NanoNano on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

1. Local Authority area in which the appeal took place:

BCC

2. What you were appealing against?

non-qualification only

3. Name of school you were appealing for:

John Hampden Grammar School

4. Was this a school where the governors are the admission authority? Have no idea

5. Approx. date of appeal hearing:

4th June 2015

6. How many days in advance of the hearing, including weekends, did you receive the case papers?

Papers got lost en route, had to collect in person from the Council (!)

7. Where was the appeal held?

Aylesbury Council Offices

8a. Did your individual hearing start more or less on time?

No

20 minutes late

• 9. Do you know what sort of independent appeal panel you had?

Not sure

A solicitor, chartered accounted and a teacher

Yes

Yes

Yes

• 13b. If so, were you told that, because your case had already been reviewed, the only issue for the appeal panel was whether the review had been conducted properly?

We were told we had to prove our case wasn't FCO and then make a case for why our son should be selected for JHGS.

Why did we choose home schooling?
*How did he feel after he didn't qualify?
*What are his hobbies?
*Why do we think he did so badly (he was 10 marks off, we said it was due to glandular fever, had the GP letter to confirm this)

Super nice and really understanding. • 16. As far as you know, was the representative of the admission authority left alone with the panel at any point in time?

No

• 17. Were you asked at the end of the hearing whether you had had sufficient time to state your case (or words to that effect)?

Yes

No

• 19. How long did the hearing last? (excluding the group hearing, if there was one)

30 mins including the time they took to peruse his school work.

No.

Yes

a month

a. on this occasion

Not sure

• b. in previous years

Not sure

It wasn't as bad as I feared. My top tip is the Scouts motto: Be prepared!
We went in "armed" with tutor reports, grade averages, past assignments, essays and tests that were tutor marked, homework in ds2's scrawly handwriting, educational assessment report, letter of support from educational assessor in which she wrote ds2 is suited to grammar, reports from his math, science and English tutors as well as from a private tutor...phew!
I didn't want them to have any doubt of his academic ability. I have heard of previous "failed" appeals that the panel were not convinced so my advice is you need to be able to convince them and the more evidence the better. They took a long ten minutes looking at his school work while dh and I waited outside with the LA REP.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Both Qualification and oversubscription.

2 Bucks GS appeals

Academy
July 2015

• 6. How many days in advance of the hearing, including weekends, did you receive the case papers? 10 in both cases

(e.g. council offices)
Old County Council offices in both cases
• 8a. Did your individual hearing start more or less on time? Yes in both cases

• 8b. If not, how late was it in starting? N/a

a. A panel appointed by the Local Authority? - because it's dealing with a community school for which the LA is the admission authority.
b. A panel appointed by the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority.
c. A Local Authority appointed panel acting at the request of the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority, and they 'hired' a panel from the LA.
d. Some other panel acting at the request of the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority, and they 'hired' a panel not from the LA but from a commercial organisation, charity, or some other body.
A local authority appointed panel.

(if you were told, e.g. a retired teacher, a businessman, and school governor - no names, please.)
A retired head of a different GS in both cases. Panel 1 - 2 lay people in addition. Panel 2 - an ex primary teacher and a lay person.

(This is where stage 1 - the LA or school case - is presented to all the parents as a group)
Yes
In the group hearing for panel 1 there was one parent who was arguing on the side of the admission authority against questions that other parents were asking. She hadn't quite understood the process.

Yes in both cases.

No in neither case.

N/a

Panel for school 1 - Lots of questions about mitigating circumstances, questioned everything as though they didn't believe me despite evidence provided.
1 Question which was more a dismissive statement of my written evidence regarding my daughters interest in languages, again I felt as though I wasn't believed despite the evidence provided. In retrospect I wonder if a lot of the evidence had been read.
Very dismissive of academic evidence - refused to look at evidence that I had of levels at GS's for this year (I did have some e-mailed by a school so inarguable really.) No questions on academic evidence. I brought along an up to date school report which I had been unable to get until after the evidence had to be submitted. Panel questioned it and didn't appear to understand how it was possible to have a less up to date report even though I explained that the school had not had the information to give before end of year tests.

Panel for school 2 - Asked about mitigating circumstances. Looked at evidence.
Lots of interested questions about what DD is like as a person.
Lots of questions about academic achievements
Looked at levels from other schools with interest and took time to compare.
Asked questions and showed interest in her current school and her problems there.
Asked questions about DD's interests.
Said they were impressed with some of her academic achievements.
Said they were impressed with her musical abilities both practical and theory.

Panel 1 - This was one of the worst experiences of my life. I felt like I was in court and was being cross examined by an opposing barrister (and I am used to this because I have to do it for my job sometimes). I felt like they had already made up their mind.
Panel 2 - Were very friendly, kind, made me feel at ease, they seemed genuinely interested and there was even some laughter.

• 16. As far as you know, was the representative of the admission authority left alone with the panel at any point in time? (It's acceptable for the representative to be waiting outside the room, but he/she must not be already in the room with the panel when you arrive, or remain in the room with the panel when you leave.)
No I came in and went out with the admissions authority rep in both cases. Both were friendly, interesting to chat to and had a calming influence whilst I waited for the panel to look at my daughters books afterwards.

Yes in both cases In Panel 2 I asked if I could just read through my notes quickly to check that I hadn't missed anything and they were fine with this.

No - Both were very good at sticking to time but not rushed.

• 19. How long did the hearing last?
Both 45 minutes including the time they spent looking at my daughters books at the end (I went out while they did this) panel 2 panel spent a lot longer looking at books.

No I was told I would receive a decision in the post.

Panel 1 No on all counts - But I knew at the hearing that this was the case, it was obvious that they had already made up their minds. This was my preferred school.
Panel 2 Yes! Yes! Yes! :D Panel were unanimous and said some very kind encouraging things in the letter. This was DD's preferred school, so all worked out for the best for her.

Panel 1 - 10 days 5 days after their final hearing for this school (there were 13 people appealing for this year group at this school.)
Panel 2 - 3 days

• a. on this occasion
I don't know

• b. in previous years

I don't know

I used the same same presentation and the same evidence for both appeals with a few changes in regards to the individual schools. I answered the questions that were similar in the same way for both panels. I had thought through the questions that they may ask so I was ready for everything. Nothing was a surprise. This just goes to show how much difference a panel makes.

I had very strong academic evidence - I asked I asked a friend who is an educational specialist to help me to compile it. I asked a neighbour who sits on ethics committees to look at it before the hearing and she was impressed. Panel 2 was impressed by the academic evidence yet panel 1 said the academic evidence did not show that DD was GS standard.

It is a lot of work and was hard to get some of the evidence and quite scary sitting before the panels (especially number 1 - I cried when I came out) but it has paid off in the end. I got Panel 2 letter with the successful result first and only received the unsuccessful one today - this was a bit of a come down because this was my preferred school but my daughter and I had already agreed that she would go to her preferred school (the successful one) anyway.

In addition I thought it might be helpful for people to know what sort of evidence I submitted:
Top 2% CAT scores
Mitigating circs inc a GPs letter for 117 12+ score unable to use screens.
Good levels at school plus comparisons to GS levels inc email from one school to confirm.
Individually identified as most able in 5 subjects
Highest GRT reading age obtainable
List of books read in past 2 years backed up by letter from book shop to say they know she has read them.
Grades 1,2,3,4 ABRSM practical and proof of grade 5 theory course attendance.
All schoolwork for panel to look. All of high standard
Email proof from various teachers at current school to show levels capped.
Proof of disruption in class in current school
Proof that current school unable to provide various things such as triple science.
Proof of ostracisation by others at current school because of wanting to work etc.
Proof of negative psychological impact on Dd if she were to stay at current school - psychotherapists report
List of reasons why particular school appealed for would be better for Dd. I spent a lot of time researching this and organised extra visits to the schools especialally to ask questions.
I got a lot of the above information by emailing teachers at current school and emailing schools appealing for.
twindad

Re: Feedback from all areas - please post here

Post by twindad »

Any new post in this thread!
Today there was an evening meeting at Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys at 6.30. Has any body attended it? Any feedback.
Thanks.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

• 1. Local Authority area in which the appeal took place: Kent

TWGGS

• 4. Was this a school where the governors are the admission authority? YES

• 5. Approx. date of appeal hearing: Mid May

• 6. How many days in advance of the hearing, including weekends, did you receive the case papers? 2 weeks

• 7. Where was the appeal held? Salomons
(e.g. council offices)

• 8a. Did your individual hearing start more or less on time? Yes

• 9. Do you know what sort of independent appeal panel you had? For example: No, think b
• a. A panel appointed by the Local Authority? - because it's dealing with a community school for which the LA is the admission authority.
• b. A panel appointed by the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority.
• c. A Local Authority appointed panel acting at the request of the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority, and they 'hired' a panel from the LA.
• d. Some other panel acting at the request of the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority, and they 'hired' a panel not from the LA but from a commercial organisation, charity, or some other body.

Only told names

• 11. Was there a group hearing? No

• 12. Did the appeal follow the recommended order of business? Yes

• 13a. Had your case already been considered by a Review Panel? No

Whether wanted to study MFL
Was she tutored
How would describe her
Were her friends going to allocated school

• 15. What were the panel like? Friendly, interested

• 16. As far as you know, was the representative of the admission authority left alone with the panel at any point in time? (It's acceptable for the representative to be waiting outside the room, but he/she must not be already in the room with the panel when you arrive, or remain in the room with the panel when you leave.) No, came and left with us

• 18. Did you feel rushed? No

• 19. How long did the hearing last? About 30min

• 20. Were you told you could telephone for the decision? No

• 21. If you have the result, was your appeal successful? Yes

• 22. How long did you have to wait for the decision, including weekends? An eternity, although actually just 6 days (including weekend) after last appeal heard

• a. on this occasion. Not known although school said could that 5 more as expected

• b. in previous years Usually take extra 5

• 24. Any other comments: Stressful but worth it. Nothing a bit of hair dye won't cover up!
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

]• 1. Local Authority area in which the appeal took place:[/color]
Kirklees, Yorkshire
Both non-qualification and over subscription

Heckmondwike grammar

June 2016

• 6. How many days in advance of the hearing, including weekends, did you receive the case papers?
Approx 3 weeks
(e.g. council offices)
local hotel
• 8a. Did your individual hearing start more or less on time?[/
A few minutes early

a. A panel appointed by the Local Authority? - because it's dealing with a community school for which the LA is the admission authority.
b. A panel appointed by the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority.
c. A Local Authority appointed panel acting at the request of the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority, and they 'hired' a panel from the LA.
d. Some other panel acting at the request of the school? - because it's an academy, foundation or VA school where the governors are the admission authority, and they 'hired' a panel not from the LA but from a commercial organisation, charity, or some other body.
Panel appointed by the school, independent

No
Yes
School had reviewed to check for Maladministration
• 13b. If so, were you told that, because your case had already been reviewed, the only issue for the appeal panel was whether the review had been conducted properly?[/

N/a
[collar=blue]• 14. What questions were you asked about your case?

What's schools were on CAF
Date we discovered dd's extenuating circs (irlen syndrome diagnosis after the exam)

Friendly, polite and considerate

Entered and left at the same time
• 17. Were you asked at the end of the hearing whether you had had sufficient time to state your case (or words to that effect)?[/

Yes
• 18. Did you feel rushed?[/

Only through my own nervousness, not by the panel
• 19. How long did the hearing last

30 mins

No, to be informed by letter
YES :lol: :D :D can't quite believe it. Deemed that firstly dd2 was of grammar school ability and that my reasons for wanting her to attend outweighted the schools argument of causing prejudice!

• a. on this occasion

• b. in previous years

Not as bad as I thought. PreparAtion is key. I actually had , through freedom of information requests, more information about the breakdown of results than the school! About both my daughter and the cohort as a whole.
I think they may be reviewing their policies next year as I pointed out the some of their passes were awarded to pupils with great VR score but incredibly low (Ie 11th percentile) in either NVR or NR

Thanks to all the forum members whose advice for dd's 1 and 2 has been invaluable, no matter the outcome of the appeal, my case would have been nowhere as prepared had it not been for this forum! Potentially one more DD to go.

If your appeal has yet to take place, please would you consider posting a report at the appropriate time?

Thank you![/quote]
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now