Appeal Selection Review Decision

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11+Selection

Appeal Selection Review Decision

Post by 11+Selection »

Hi Etienne,
We recently were disappointed to receive an unsuccessful selection review outcome.

The following was presented:

• Secondary Transfer Test Score (STTS): 120 V:116 Maths:118 Verbal:130
• Grammar school recommendation of 3:2
• CATS Score: 114
• Performance End of Year 5/beginning of Year 6
o Reading EXS
o Writing EXS
o Maths GDS
• Predicted performance end of year 6
o Reading 111-120
o Writing GDS
o Maths 111-120
• Supporting Academic summary sheet provided by the headteacher-

The headteacher mentioned that my child has shown great progress “greater maturity” since YR5 and is predicted to achieve end of YR6 GDS in reading, writing and Maths. “Recent rapid progress – upward trajectory”.

The panel did not believe the predicted outcomes end of year 6 are achievable in reading and writing.

I would like the IAP to take a completely fresh look at the case for academic suitability with additional supporting academic evidence to prove my child will meet GDS in reading and writing as stated in the Headteachers summary sheet. I question the whole procedure the panel used to come to their final decision.

I have gone through your Section B – Appeals against non-qualification. I would appreciate any advice to help with the appeal process.
Etienne

Re: Appeal Selection Review Decision

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Very sorry to hear the outcome.

Problems are:
The 3:2. (Did the head explain the '3' in the last section of the review form? )
The CAT score of 114.
The sudden jump in standard from EXS in two subjects. (Review panels tend to be suspicious about this. The head did well to try and convince them.)
I have gone through your Section B – Appeals against non-qualification.
I assume you've also seen:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 08#p780108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I question the whole procedure the panel used to come to their final decision.
This is the first major hurdle - and I'm afraid most appeals following an unsuccessful review are going to fail at this stage.
What arguments are you thinking of using?

For academic evidence you will need a letter from the school insisting that child is on target for 111-120/GDS in Reading, Writing and Maths, preferably with some supporting evidence such as practice SATs test results.
If the head would also write that, if he were giving a recommendation for academic potential now, it would be a '2' - so much the better.
Leave it as late as you can so that the letter is as up-to-date as possible.
In the meantime, for the appeal form, I suggest you use the wording in C6 (i):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 08#p780108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe that my child is suitable for a grammar school place on the basis of a range of alternative academic evidence which I am collating. Full details to follow.

The last part of your case will be good reasons for wanting a place at each school you are appealing for.
See D7: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 08#p780108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11+Selection

Post by 11+Selection »

Hi Etienne, thank you for your feedback. The HT did provide clarification on 3, in the last section of the review form and was supportive of YR6 end of year predictions which I thought was convincing. I understand your point on the problem areas, however my child is a very determined and capable and would thrive in a grammar school environment. I want to ensure the appeal is considered and would appreciate any help you can provide.
11+Selection

Post by 11+Selection »

Hi Etienne, reading through the selection review decision report. We have found some inconsistency. What do you regard by the "elements of the test"? In your opinion are the "elements of the test" VR, Maths and NVR, or would you interpret "elements of the test" to be the subjects shown in the progress chart, i.e. EXS, GDS in Reading, Writing, Maths.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

11+Selection wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:18 pm What do you regard by the "elements of the test"? In your opinion are the "elements of the test" VR, Maths and NVR.
Yes. They have a dropdown list of reasons for an unsuccessful review, including "Did not qualify in two/three elements of the test".
We've always felt on here that this is rather unfair as there's not been any requirement to qualify in all three elements of the transfer test.

Since the criterion is a final score of 121, it would be fair enough in some cases to highlight a very low overall score (which they couldn't do in your case because there was a very respectable score of 120).

Worth a mention - but won't necessarily be enough to persuade an IAP with regard to FCO.

As an aside, I don't believe for one moment this had much - if anything - to do with the SRP's decision! :?
The panel would have been concerned with the problem areas I mentioned further up.
Etienne
11+Selection

Post by 11+Selection »

I agree - my child obtained VR 116, Maths 118, NVR 130. Once these were weighted 50%,25%,25% respectfully resulted in her STTS of 120. If my child obtained VR 116, Maths 121, NVR 130.. and applied the weightings on these scores then the STTS would still be 120. Is this something we should include in our appeal as it demonstrates inconsistency.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is this something we should include in our appeal
We don't know if 'not qualifying in two/three elements of the test' was applied consistently. I doubt it, but have not seen any evidence (unlike the requirement for exceptional circumstances where some parents on here have reported winning a review without any extenuating circumstances at all).

The word I would use is 'unfair' because:
• the grammar schools chose not to have a minimum qualifying score for each element of the test - consequently children who qualified in the test are deemed to be of grammar school standard even if they did fail in two elements
• it is possible for a child who has failed two elements of the test to have performed better overall than a child who has only failed one.
Etienne
11+Selection

Post by 11+Selection »

Hi Etienne, in addition to the schools recent SAT results that we have submitted to support my Childs appeal, would it be credible if we were to provide the independent appeal panel recent class based test results (not SAT papers). The recent results show my child is excelling academically, here are the average scores:

Grammar and punctuation - 92%
Spelling - 85%
Reading - 75%
Arithmetic - 90%
Reasoning - 97%

We have the opportunity to present any further evidence by tomorrow, but wanted to check with you if this will add any weight to our case.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi
We have the opportunity to present any further evidence by tomorrow, but wanted to check with you if this will add any weight to our case.
The panel would probably like to know more about the tests. For example, if they weren't SATs papers, who was the publisher? Are the percentages based on raw marks? How do daughter's results compare with those of the children who qualified at 11+?
If x% of the class qualified in the transfer test, do these results put her in the top x% of the class?

They won't do any harm, though, so I think I would be inclined to include them.
You may - or may not - be in a position to say more if they are discussed at the hearing.
Etienne