Appeals in lincolnshire

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SJ

Re: How do you know

Post by SJ »

kaz wrote:Hi. sorry to hear of your disappointment. I am interested in how you know George failed to qualify by six points - I thought you just got qualified or not?!
It would appear that some Lincolnshire Grammar schools actually send out the marks and others don't.
SJ

Re: appeals

Post by SJ »

Maria wrote: I do wonder what performance in Lincolnshire was like overall and I'll certainly be following the results with interest.

Maria
How and where can you get the overall Lincolnshire results to give an indication of the total number of candidates that actually sat the 11+ for the whole County of Lincolnshire and those that reached the qualifying score?

Post by Guest »

Hi,

If you are considering going to appeal in Lincolnshire:
First get your actual score from the Grammar school which marked your test (if you don't have it already).
Next look carefully again at the admission policy for your chosen school. Some have a "built in" second chance eg. Spalding GS states that "Primary Schools are also invited to make representations on behalf of any deserving pupils who score below 220 in the tests...."
Find out from the school how many have qualified in their area and how this compares with the number of places they have available - clearly you have a better chance if the school is not heavily oversubscribed with applicants who have reached the qualifying standard.
Try to find out how many appeals have succeeded in past years.
Start talking to your primary school to see how far they are willing and able to back you.

You are going to have to fill in that CAF form long before you have the result of any appeal. In most areas of Lincolnshire there is now an equal preference system so it will not matter which order you put your schools in but if you live in an area where the schools have "rebelled" and some still operate a first preference criterion you would run a severe risk if you put the Grammar first of being left without a place at any of your "backup" schools either.

I am assuming that, as in previous years, no appeals will be heard until after allocation of schools is announced on 1st March. However, it may be worth checking up on this, as the whole system has changed so much this year.

Wishing you all the very best.

Sara

Re: appeals

Post by Guest »

SJ wrote:How and where can you get the overall Lincolnshire results to give an indication of the total number of candidates that actually sat the 11+ for the whole County of Lincolnshire and those that reached the qualifying score?
SJ

Not sure about the total number of candidates but because the standardisation works on percentile ranks I am pretty certain that the top 25% of children passed (after allowances for month of birth).

This is how the adjustments are made relating to the difficulty of the paper so that if in a particular year, the paper is excessively easy or difficult, the important issue is how you fair relative to others and not the raw score achieved.

Hope I'm explaining this well enough.

Dave
Maria

results

Post by Maria »

Yes, my son's school gave us the results. I was under the impression when I was coaching him that he had to pass both papers. It was my aim therefore that I got him up to a certain standard in the verbal and non-verbal. i have been told this morning by the school that this isn't the case. The scores are totalled together. I'm so mad as he was naturally stronger in verbal I feel i may have brought this score down by concentrating just as much on the non-verbal. Why didn't i get a tutor!!!!!
kate1

Post by kate1 »

Thank you for your previous comments Etienne.

Just found out that my son passed the VR paper but unfortunately it was the NVR one that let him down. Does anyone know whether they take into consideration passing one and not the other in different tests?

Also, does anyone know whether you are able to take the 12+ in Lincs and if so where I can get any further info?

Thanks

Kate
newbie 36

results

Post by newbie 36 »

Hi I rang the school (Gainsborough ) and I have to ask for his results in writing. We're not going to appeal as his second choice school is also a good one. My son wants to know his results, so we are now awaiting them. Thanks for all your comments
Louise

Appeals

Post by Louise »

Hi Kate

It was the NVR paper that let my son down also. I've spoken to the school quite a lot and it's the cumulative score that's important. it doesn't seem to count if they passed one or not. It's all a very mysterious scoring system. Good luck with what you decide to do. not sure about 12+ but i know you are able to apply to a grammar school if you are in year 8,9,10 etc... You obviously have to prove you are capable of this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now