Help needed - remission appeal - sorry it's a long read!!!!!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
daisy

Post by daisy »

Dear Etienne

Thank you for the feedback, guidance and advice :)

I received the Application for Meeting with The Appeal Panel today. Because St Benedict's is an Independent School does this change how the Appeals process works, or is it the same? :? Does anyone know where the Appeal will be held?!

The clerk at the school said she'd like the form back as soon as possible!

... and I need to gather all supporting evidence :shock: I suddenly feel like I have no idea what I'm doing!!! :shock:

Point 4 on the application form says "I wish to appeal against the refusal of a place because:" and point 5 says "I would ask for the following special factors to be taken in to consideration:" ... I have 5 lines in total to write something, so do I write something in brief and then include my Appeal and supporting evidence or should I just point them in the direction of the Appeal page (which I think I read somewhere should be around 1 A4 page only?). What on earth could I fit in on 2-3 lines!!!!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Because St Benedict's is an Independent School does this change how the Appeals process works, or is it the same?
Do you mean foundation or voluntary aided? If so, there's no difference.
Does anyone know where the Appeal will be held?!
Can't help with than one, I'm afraid, but probably not at the school as it should be somewhere neutral.
I have 5 lines in total to write something
You can write in answer to both questions "Please see attached." Then attach a letter of appeal, no more than A4 in length:

"Dear Members of the Panel,

I wish to appeal to you on the following grounds .....

Evidence is attached (or evidence will follow in due course).

Thank you for taking the time to consider my appeal. I do appreciate it.

Yours sincerely ....."

Mark each piece of evidence "Appendix 1," "Appendix 2," "Appendix 3," etc. as it's so much easier to refer to at the hearing.

Any further questions, please ask.
Etienne
daisy

Post by daisy »

Oops, yes, sorry, voluntary-aided!! :oops: Was thinking of "admission to independent appeal panel" at the same time!!

That's wonderful, thank you!

The application also asks whether "I shall / shall not attend the appeals panel meeting personally and intend / do not intend to be accompanied by a friend to assist in the presentation of my case." I most likely will not be able to attend if it's not in this town, and have asked my Mom whether she would go along with my fiance in case I can't attend. The other thing is, even if I could attend I can't speak in situations where I get nervous or anxious. I went to an interview at a little school last year to be a playground assistant, and I couldn't speak when asked even the most simple questions, my brain just stops working completely and there's nothing there at all. I got asked what sort of games I play with my son at home (because I couldn't respond to another question) and I couldn't think, I had to keep saying "I don't know" and apologising. It was torture. I don't want to say I'll attend to present our case when I know what will happen, but my Mom is concerned that this will not look good for our case. I would ruin any chances he may have. But at the same time I want to do everything I can!! Would myself, my fiance and my Mom (who is involved in every area of everything to do with J) be allowed to attend the appeal, or are we retstricted to 2 people?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I do think it will be better if you attend the appeal.

You mentioned panic attacks before, and I meant to ask you to get something in writing about this from your GP.

This is important because:
  • 1. It's part of your case - it will affect you if you worry about your son being at a different school, and that in turn is not good for him.
    2. If you are unable to attend the appeal, or if you are unable to say very much at the hearing, everyone will understand that there is a good reason.
I see no reason why three people shouldn't attend in this situation. Your mother will be there to assist in the presentation of the case.
Etienne
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Does anyone know where the Appeal will be held?!
Can't help with than one, I'm afraid, but probably not at the school as it should be somewhere neutral.

Do appeals have to be held on neutral ground :?: - ours is for a voluntary aided school, and the appeal is being held in the school

Thanks,

LFH
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The Code of Practice says:
2.23 To ensure independence in the appeals process, a neutral venue other than the school concerned should be used for the appeal hearing wherever possible.
so they have some wriggle room!

Although it's not 100% obligatory, the Code's definition of "should" is quite strong:
The Code also includes guidelines which the relevant bodies should follow unless they can demonstrate, if challenged, that they are justified in not doing so. Where guidelines refer to good practice, the Code will state that the relevant bodies ‘should’ follow the particular guidelines.
The main issue for own-admission authority schools, of course, is going to be the cost of hiring premises.

The Code goes on to say:
2.24 Admission authorities must ensure the venue can:
a) be reasonably accessible to appellants and well sign-posted;
b) be accessible by public transport;
c) be accessible for people with disabilities, with consideration given to the provision of spaces for car parking; and
d) have a suitable waiting area for appellants and presenting officers to wait separately from the panel before and between appeals.
Etienne
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thanks for the clarification, Etienne
Rgds,
LFH
daisy

Post by daisy »

I shall be hoping and praying that the appeal is at the school or at least somewhere close!! Especially as delays seem to be a common thing, understandably! I struggle enough getting to the next town, the thought of possibly having to go further :shock: wait for a long while :shock: and then face the panel :shock: :shock: more than terrifies me!! What would happen if I couldn't stay, or if I didn't make it to wherever the Appeal was being held ... I absolutely aim to do my best, but I couldn't leave the house for nearly a year at one point, and I still have to fight the panic attacks regularly, and sometimes I just can't get to where I'm going, or I'll get there and have to turn and run, no matter how much I try and fight it. And I can't drive, so my fiancé has to take me home, and if that happened that would leave my Mom and the whole thing would look awful. Oooohhh, I shouldn't have thought about it!!!!! :oops: :shock: :? :oops: :roll: And now I'm rambling!

Right, will cross that bridge when it comes to it! And breathe!! :D :lol: 8)

I was wondering whether it's the usual thing to give a presentation, or whether it's more of a question and answer type situation. If you were going to give a presentation, I presume you couldn't give a presentation which is basically the basis of the Appeal letter?

I am still working on the letter and I have far too much information and can't work out what is relevant and what is not!!! :? :? And it's already half way through the week... although this is good in another respect! :lol: :P
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I was wondering whether it's the usual thing to give a presentation, or whether it's more of a question and answer type situation. If you were going to give a presentation, I presume you couldn't give a presentation which is basically the basis of the Appeal letter?
If you've written quite a long letter of application, then I would suggest a very brief presentation summarising it:

"I'd just like to remind you briefly that the main points are:
a)
b)
c)
d)
e)
f)

We'll be happy to answer any questions you may have."

On the other hand, if it had been a very short letter of appeal (an example of which I've just given in the "Appeal Questions & Answers - update"), then the presentation would go into more detail.
Etienne
daisy

Post by daisy »

Thank you again Etienne! :D

I think I am really going to struggle to get my appeal to be 1 A4 page long!! But I don't want to ramble so I'm trying to cut out as much as possible, is there anything from my original detailed post that anyone would recommend leaving out??!!

XX :D XX