Are there grounds for appeal??

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stanley

Post by stanley »

Dear Etienne,

I have a letter from my DD head teacher detailing the difficulties she has encountered moving from one education system to another. She has mentioned how she has had to make considerable adjustments academically due to different expectations of the two systems. She mentions that she was confronted by vocab and grammer that she had not encountered before. It was noted how it became apparant she was a student of ability and that as her confidence increased her academic ability increased dramatically.
The letter also mentions the considerable upheaval encountered with regard to the several moves.
My DD will be re sitting the education psyc report tommorow.
As previously mentioned my DD mark was 230 (pass 233) This was made up of 127/140 NVR and 103/140 VR. Will the panel focus on the difference in the marks. Her first Psyc report gave her a VR score on the 99th percentile. English is her strongest subject at school and this can be seen from school reports. The differences in English in the US and her confidence after returning are what I would equate this to?? NVR can not be compared to other school subjects and this is why I feel she felt more confident at this. Do I mention she obviously wasn't tutored as she wasn't living here?
Any help is appreciated.
Would it be wise to ask the Ed psyc to discuss the effects moving from overseas and several house moves could have on a child??
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The differences in English in the US and her confidence after returning are what I would equate this to??
Perhaps, but let's see what the second EP report comes up with.
Do I mention she obviously wasn't tutored as she wasn't living here?
It won't do any harm, but I doubt that it will carry any weight.
Would it be wise to ask the Ed psyc to discuss the effects moving from overseas and several house moves could have on a child??
Yes, most ed. psychs. ask for background information anyway, and include it in the introduction to their report (if it's a full report).
Etienne
stanley

Post by stanley »

Thanks,

Her second ed psyc report today was even better than the first, her NVR was on the 99.9th percentile and VR was on the 99th percentile. She will mention all the moving in the report and how the us system will have had an impact. I am pleased with these results, do you think the two reports will be enough academic evidence as I have no formal exams from here?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Could I just check that this was a chartered educational psychologist, and ask the name of the tests being used?
Etienne
stanley

Post by stanley »

Yes they are Chartered based in Harley Street. Can give you the name if you PM me. The test was the Wechsler and contaied verbal comprehension, perceptual reasoning,working memoryand processing speed.There was also academic in reading,maths and written language.
It was finished with self esteem questions.
Is this an ok test. The final IQ will be sent to me when she has written the report. The ed psyc said another partner will sign also as this is the second and shows it wasn't a fluke first time.
Do you think this will help my appeal??
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

That's fine. Weschler uses the term "Verbal Comprehension," which is what made me wonder whether some other tests were being used.

These results should strengthen your case.

You also have the school reports from the USA.

I suggest taking exercise books to the appeal, so that the panel can - if they wish - verify the comments from the school about the improving standard of work last term.
Etienne
stanley

Post by stanley »

Do I need to include copies of the exercise books and school reports with the written appeal, or just take them to the appeal? Should I include the excersie books of the lanuage study she does outside school,?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Stanley,
That's an interesting question I wanted advice on too.
Our appeals documentation says that all evidence must be submitted 7 days before the appeal, and I wondered whether this also applies to exercise books and mock sats tests.
Although our appeal is straight after the Easter holidays - will anyone be there to read it if we send extra information in ?

Good luck with your appeal
LFH
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Stanley, I wouldn't worry about this. I was thinking you could just offer the exercise books to the panel as an optional extra on the day - if they wanted to verify what the school has said.

LFH, I've a feeling that the old consortium in your area used to advise parents that they could bring books to the hearing. Not sure what happens now.

My guess is that most Appeals Administrators will not want to have 6 photocopies made of every page of every exercise book - but you would have to check with them to be sure.
Etienne
stanley

Post by stanley »

Dear Etienne,

I have a copy of the Ed Psyc report. In their summary it states.."results clearly support the view that had she been in a constant enviroment ie not relocating and changing school systems her performance on the recent exam would be higher". It also states that" she is a clear candidate for this school who would have normaly performed at a level superior to the entry criterea".
Her IQ is 140 on the 99.5th percentile rank which is classed as very superior.

Other than these results and the IQ test from 3 years ago I only have a USA school report and a letter of support from the head.
I question whether this is enough academic evidence? I feel like I should have more but can't get any other reports/test results.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now