Educational report scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Frederick

Educational report scores

Post by Frederick »

We have taken the plunge and obtained an Educational Psychologist report. Yet to receive it but told that our childs average IQ results were 117. Is this GS standard? We are told it is above average. We don't know what to compare it to and what the standard should be.
He is predicted 5's and we don't want to put in a report which may not really help.
Thanks
Frederick
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Apparently 115 is in the 84th percentile so I assume that means the top 16%. :? If GS take the top 20-25% then DS should be GS standard.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

According to NFER 117 age standardised score is 87th percentile, i.e. top 13% nationally, but is this measuring the right thing? Thought it only applied to SATs / VR/NVR tests and not IQ tests. I thought IQ was tested differently with a score of 100 being average?
Bougalou
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I got my figures from an IQ measure not NFER. It said that an 1Q of 100 is the 50th centile and 130 is the 97.5% centile. I know when DS did his IQ and it was 137 the psych said that it was around the top 3% but she didn't have a table to work it out exactly. Strange though that I seem to know a lot of people with 1Q's between 130-140 and in theory there should not be many of these people around. :?
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Sorry tipsy, must have been a coincidence NFER percentile rankings also have 115 at 84percentile. Don't know what I'm talking about
Bouga
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I assume 117 is the FSIQ (full scale IQ). I think one would need to look at some of the individual scores before drawing conclusions. For example, if VR is a significant part of the local 11+, then the verbal comprehension score would be of interest.

As a very rough guide I would be looking for a percentile around the 90th (i.e. not just above average, but well above average) - but remember this is on a national scale.

A grammar school might select the top 25%, but in some areas this could be equivalent to the 90th+ percentile nationally ......
Etienne
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I don't know either Bouga. As long as mines above 100 I'm content! :lol: