THE TUTORS - VOCABULARY BUILDER - VOLUME 1

Questions and advice about our 11 Plus Interactive CDs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Mike wrote: Our next project, which is in its development stages, is a Methods & Techniques guide for Verbal Reasoning based on a systematic approach to teaching that will be as simple and user friendly as we can get it. This should be available for next years intake.
Hi Mike

That sounds an excellent idea, as there isn't a huge amount of choice in that area at present.

By next year's intake, do you mean January 2008 or September 2008? If the latter, it will be too late for Son No. 2, which would be rather sad. (I'm not nagging you to work harder, honest!)

Very few people probably know that you and Jan are a team, or that the techies at 11+ Exams have so much input to the CDs, so they definitely deserve their share of the limelight too! :D

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Jess

Post by Jess »

Wish someone would do a NVR techniques CD...or any NVR CD for that matter. Daughter doing fine on VR, but NVR proving much more ticky...for her AND me!
Jess

Post by Jess »

That's tricky, not ticky!

Post by Guest »

Yes, Jess, I agree!

I thought that the tutors were going to do one last year. I suppose it's quite difficult to get the subtle differences to be distinct on the computer screen. We can only live in hope.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hello Mike

Please can you tell me if "the opposite meaning" section in the Vocab Builder is one of the question types? It looks remarkably similar to a question type in Bonds VR, and I just wanted to check with you, as I dont think I can find it in any of the 21 types. Thanks! :P
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hello Mike (again :lol: )

Sorry to pester... Am I correct in understanding that there will be no "alphabetical order" questions in the NFER (Tiffins & Slough Consortium) papers? I was wondering why they have been includied in the vocab builder??

Not that I mind them not being in the papers....... :P
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hello Mike x 3!!!

Im terribly sorry. I must seem like a bug :shock:

We have been doing Bonds papers since september 2007... and we are going for Slough Consortium and Tiffin Boys. Im still trying to get my head around the fact there are so mnay things that we will not need to cover.

Please can you also confirm (aswell as the above posts) that the 21 Types do not cover:

anagrams
rhyming word questions such as:

toy [joy] happy
(middle word needs to rhyme with first and have a similar meaning to the last)

I just feel like we did so much preparation for so many things, and it almost seems like abandoning the practice of these question may lead to faliure of the 11+! <<nervous>>
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Jaysdarlin

Take a look at The tutors verbal reaoning demo, this will show the 21 types of VR.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/the ... lume-1.php

Bond is not relevant to the 21 types of questions. Bond have 50 types, 17 relevant to the 21, 4 are missing.

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

The questions on The Tutors VR CD1 and VR CD2 contain the 21 question types commonly found in NFER based 11+ tests.

Each year a number of queries come to the forum on how to increase and improve a students vocabulary. We created the Vocabulary Builder CD to address this issue. The question sets get progressively more difficult as the student works through the CD. There are over 10,000 individual words contained in the Vocabulary Builder CD.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now