Application classed as late

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

STAFFORDS7

Re: Application classed as late

Post by STAFFORDS7 »

We were in exactly the same position this time last year. We also had mis-read / misunderstood the importance of the proof of address criteria within the Appendix to the LSS Admissions Policy. We ended up having to go through a lengthy and very stressful appeals process as a result. We were lucky and in our specific circumstances still managed to secure a place for our son on appeal. And we have just petitioned the school as part of the consultation process on their Admissions policy for the next coming year. The policy is not clear and in our view needs to be reworded to reflect the massive importance associated with providing proof of address on time - given that it can be an absolute 'deal breaker' if received only a few days late.
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

I have just found out DD’s friend’s proof wasn’t accepted as the dates on the utility bill were incorrect. I was hoping to find some fix for them but seems like wait and hope is the only thing to be done. She scored 227 and wants RHS so hopefully will get a waiting list place. I am glad I phoned and checked our proof was acceptable. I do think it’s a bit harsh that if someone makes a genuine mistake their child is penalised to such a degree. For this child it would be 2 years of tutoring wasted (well she will benefit to some degree but not in the way hoped for.)

Going to scour the forum for waiting list info & appeals stuff.
Varsha2017

Post by Varsha2017 »

sphynx wrote:I have just found out DD’s friend’s proof wasn’t accepted as the dates on the utility bill were incorrect. I was hoping to find some fix for them but seems like wait and hope is the only thing to be done. She scored 227 and wants RHS so hopefully will get a waiting list place. I am glad I phoned and checked our proof was acceptable. I do think it’s a bit harsh that if someone makes a genuine mistake their child is penalised to such a degree. For this child it would be 2 years of tutoring wasted (well she will benefit to some degree but not in the way hoped for.)

Going to scour the forum for waiting list info & appeals stuff.

Such cases give jitters. I did the same thing asked the authorities if proof was acceptable. Actually provided them alternate copies for proof. Somewhere it is Parents fault too when such cases arise but in any case if Address is genuine then I feel it is too harsh a penalty and too agonising for the waiting family.
solimum

Post by solimum »

It can be difficult for many purposes to get the correct proof of address - so many utility bills are online now (so you have to track down something printable on their website where you've forgotten the login details and their helpline won't talk to one partner if the account is in the other partner's name....), Council Tax etc come only annually so can be "too old"....
Varsha2017

Post by Varsha2017 »

solimum wrote:It can be difficult for many purposes to get the correct proof of address - so many utility bills are online now (so you have to track down something printable on their website where you've forgotten the login details and their helpline won't talk to one partner if the account is in the other partner's name....), Council Tax etc come only annually so can be "too old"....

I got my details corrected on my Council Tax statement as my surname was incorrectly spelt.
I chased them and got it corrected and send on time.
Similarly for Group 2 docs - I submitted Utility bill and NHS LETTER for Child's eye test. Just to be sure I added in another proof of Broadband. Then called them to verify if it's all correct and acceptable.
Not saying this is what every Parent should do. There should be available window given to correct this as from 29th Dec to 01 March there is quite a substantial time. This IInd window can then be classed as a last opportunity.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Varsha2017 wrote:
solimum wrote:It can be difficult for many purposes to get the correct proof of address - so many utility bills are online now (so you have to track down something printable on their website where you've forgotten the login details and their helpline won't talk to one partner if the account is in the other partner's name....), Council Tax etc come only annually so can be "too old"....

I got my details corrected on my Council Tax statement as my surname was incorrectly spelt.
I chased them and got it corrected and send on time.
Similarly for Group 2 docs - I submitted Utility bill and NHS LETTER for Child's eye test. Just to be sure I added in another proof of Broadband. Then called them to verify if it's all correct and acceptable.
Not saying this is what every Parent should do. There should be available window given to correct this as from 29th Dec to 01 March there is quite a substantial time. This IInd window can then be classed as a last opportunity.

The final mass transfer of data between authorities for the national offer day round takes place well before the end of February. One person's details being updated could have a significant knock-on effect in terms of eligibility, ranking etc for several applicants and schools.

The extra requirements imposed by the grammar schools shouldn't really be necessary (wouldn't I) be lovely if everyone could be relied upon to be honest about their place of residence?), but they are signposted well in advance.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
gemgem

Post by gemgem »

We always try to look for excuses and forget our responsibilities. Had we been responsible in reading the letters properly, this situation would not have risen. I agree, the council should have been more specific about the requirements. But parents also had a responsibility to be more responsible when dealing with an admission process, what we think is very "critical".
For a genuine parent, it is not impossible to gather the proof documents they have asked for. Only for those who playing the game have difficulty in gathering the documents. Anyway "Good luck" to those innocent children who have been put under stress due to the careless behavior of the responsible ones. Wish they will come through the waiting list.
federusa

Post by federusa »

Dear Parents

1) For those who miss the issue completely: We are not English parents . Nonetheless it was clear to us from the beginning (read web site for application for 11+ exam) that you have to provide some sort of proof of address by December after the exam. As we didn't receive any letter we call the council and make sure we did send the information required in time.

2) For those who complain about the extra documentation: it took us a phone call to the office to get a letter within 2 weeks. Even if you don't have benefits ( as we don't) the letter will stipulate that but will be sent TO YOU ADDRESS that is all the council want as probe. Worst case scenario paid 20£ in dental surgery or doctor for a letter. No much effort to get you d/s a good school.

Sorry no sympathies at all. As they said "DO YOU OWN RESEARCH".
federusa

Post by federusa »

Sorry I forgot to mention after sending the documents a week before deadline we call the office to make sure they were correct (that will give us time to make any correction if needed). Another 5 minutes anyone can take to ensure his/her daughter education.

We were really exhausted after all that. Puff!!!

Get a life!!!
Varsha2017

Post by Varsha2017 »

federusa wrote:Sorry I forgot to mention after sending the documents a week before deadline we call the office to make sure they were correct (that will give us time to make any correction if needed). Another 5 minutes anyone can take to ensure his/her daughter education.

We were really exhausted after all that. Puff!!!

Get a life!!!

Absolutely and that's my point too!! It is Parent responsibility to get the documentation part correct and not ASSUME things. This is least they are expected to do ...all heavy lifting is done by the Kids.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now