LSS Opinion and insider knowledge please.....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
skipsmash

Re: LSS Opinion and insider knowledge please.....

Post by skipsmash »

Centralperk, I have no idea why there are 120 places, but we are told there are 31.

I believe those who passed the MFL received a letter saying they had a grammar place? My ds failed the MFL by 3 points but he had a sibling there at the time of application and did not pass the 11+.

And dc who did well in their SATS.

I don't understand either. And in year 9, when dc choose their options, it all changes - I believe there is a grammar stream for maths, english, sciences - but not other subjects as all dc choose options, they will inevitable be mixed up.

We had no written notification about the grammar stream, my ds wasn't told he was in the gs. He just came home on his first day saying he was, his class is '1', he is with dc he knows did well in the 11+ from his primary school, and he is studying two languages, which means he is in the gs.

It makes Ashlawn sound more exclusive? But 120 dc is about half of the entire year.

He has friends who are very happy at LSS, I've heard about fights - at both schools.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

This is what it says on the Ashlawn website.

Section 1 APPLYING FOR THE APTITUDE TEST
1.1An application for the MFL Aptitude Test is not an application for a place at Ashlawn School (either selective or non-selective). Please visit http://www.ashlawn.org.uk/Joining-Year-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for full details on how to apply for a place at Ashlawn School.
1.2 The MFL Aptitude Test is used for the admission of students entering Year 7 non-selective only.

Ashlawn always play their cards close to their chest regarding their admissions

As I understand it the 120 in "Grammar" are made up of the following
There are 30ish who enter via 11+, their school allocation is Ashlawn Selective.
There are 30ish who enter via MFL their school allocation is Ashlawn non-selective
Around 30 enter on appeal, if you have just missed out on 11+ pass it is a good idea to appeal to Ashlawn.
Around 30 who have been allocated Ashlawn non-selective and have good SATs results and head teacher recommendations.
These 120 children make up what they call Ashlawn Grammar, which is basically the top 4 sets.
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

Centralperk wrote:Now i’m confused. I was led to believe that the MFL test is NOT for the grammar stream?

If they have 120 places then why does it say that there are only 35 places available?
From the information I've gathered, the grammar stream at Ashlawn is purely a selective entry option for families who can't access the school via the non-selective criteria, as is the MFL stream. They have (I think) 9 classes entry, roughly one of which is grammar (31 places), and roughly one of which is MFL (25 places I think). So roughly a fifth of their places are selective entry, the rest are on the non-selective admissions criteria.

Having spent time at the school and with parents who have children there, it seems that once the children are admitted, everything is equal. They are streamed (grammar stream is top set at first), the children can move up and down the streams, and after 2 years the grammar entry has no bearing on their education as far as the school is concerned - any streaming from then on is based purely on the child's performance and aptitude since joining the school.

So if you really want to go to Ashlawn but live more than 0.7 miles from the school, you have to access the school via a selective entry. If you want your child to have a "grammar education", well it's a fabulous school and your child will do well, but Ashlawn is a comprehensive that happens to have a selective entry option. Happy to be corrected of course, but that's what I've gathered from all my research.
WarwickshireOzzie

Post by WarwickshireOzzie »

Vicksteroo wrote:
Centralperk wrote:Now i’m confused. I was led to believe that the MFL test is NOT for the grammar stream?

If they have 120 places then why does it say that there are only 35 places available?
From the information I've gathered, the grammar stream at Ashlawn is purely a selective entry option for families who can't access the school via the non-selective criteria, as is the MFL stream. They have (I think) 9 classes entry, roughly one of which is grammar (31 places), and roughly one of which is MFL (25 places I think). So roughly a fifth of their places are selective entry, the rest are on the non-selective admissions criteria.

Having spent time at the school and with parents who have children there, it seems that once the children are admitted, everything is equal. They are streamed (grammar stream is top set at first), the children can move up and down the streams, and after 2 years the grammar entry has no bearing on their education as far as the school is concerned - any streaming from then on is based purely on the child's performance and aptitude since joining the school.

So if you really want to go to Ashlawn but live more than 0.7 miles from the school, you have to access the school via a selective entry. If you want your child to have a "grammar education", well it's a fabulous school and your child will do well, but Ashlawn is a comprehensive that happens to have a selective entry option. Happy to be corrected of course, but that's what I've gathered from all my research.
gemgem

Post by gemgem »

Just to clarify, there are only 31 seats in the grammar stream (selective) at Ashlawn. MFL is for entry into the non selective stream. Any deviation to this number is just a coincidence relevant to that year only. Let us wait till March to see the AQS for the grammar stream.

Parents with children going to both Ashlawn and LSS had already shared their honest and unbiased experience here. About streaming, all grammar schools in Rugby, test their children and stream to multiple categories.
Getting 300 marking in 11plus exam does not warrant them to be in a top group for the rest of their school life. 11 Plus score is good for the purpose of getting admission into the school.

Better, prospective parents go through the admission policy and make their own judgement rather leaning towards 'half heard" information from others.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

gemgem wrote:About streaming, all grammar schools in Rugby, test their children and stream to multiple categories.
Sorry to disagree gemgem but with regards to streaming, LSS only stream for games in year 7. Then in year 9 they stream for maths, nothing else. I believe it is similar at RHS, when my DD was there they were not streamed for anything in year 7 and 8 then I think they were streamed for maths in year 9. As these are grammar schools their intake is much of a muchness so streaming is not necessary, whereas Ashlawn is bilateral and has a mixed intake so they stream in different subjects.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

guest201 wrote:
gemgem wrote:About streaming, all grammar schools in Rugby, test their children and stream to multiple categories.
Sorry to disagree gemgem but with regards to streaming, LSS only stream for games in year 7. Then in year 9 they stream for maths, nothing else. I believe it is similar at RHS, when my DD was there they were not streamed for anything in year 7 and 8 then I think they were streamed for maths in year 9. As these are grammar schools their intake is much of a muchness so streaming is not necessary, whereas Ashlawn is bilateral and has a mixed intake so they stream in different subjects.
I concur, no streaming in years 7 or 8 at RHS.
toodledo

Post by toodledo »

gemgem wrote:
toodledo wrote:So......for people in the know who current attend LSS. Can you
a. convince me its not funding deprived, scruffy and lacking a great community feel??
b. highlight best bits for me?

I know this may sound odd request but....whilst we loved the place on paper and in theory........ on the visit it just didn't seem to be the exclusive, community led, hard working, great ethos kind of place I had imagined and was left underwhelmed. We know we must have missed something (shown around by wrong kids, wrong time of day, time of year????)
Only you can decide what is best for your son.
Some people go with LSS simply because they think that was a school being there for a long time...or the Grammar school branding...

But these days, many parents prefer Ashlawn Grammar stream over LSS because of several other aspects and the Ashlawn AQS is higher compared to LSS.

You must send your son to place where he enjoys. Grammar schools are simply another school. They won't do miracles. It is the parents enthusiasm and fighting spirit push many students through the qualification marks. Those who score few marks less are not inferior.
Coming back to your case, compare the different available options ... merit each other and then take a decision that is suitable for your child. Don't go simply after a branding.
Not sure how that helps but thanks for having a go....I think?! :-)
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Toodeloo have you read through the LSS v Ashlawn thread a bit further down? I have linked another thread which is LSS values and ethos below. Hope this helps, sorry if I was a bit abrupt before, if you have any other questions please feel free to pm me.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 37&t=54787" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now