Out of county applications

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
strawberry85

Out of county applications

Post by strawberry85 »

Hi, just joined the forum and my DD will have just started a new school in year 6 as we are in a middle school system in Worcestershire. I understand that I will apply for eleven plus and grammar schools when she is in Year 5, she will then go to a new school where she will sit the test during year 6. Is this correct? If she doesn't get a high enough score for the grammar schools, is her place at middle school at risk or do I simply do nothing and carry on as normal if she doesn't get offered a grammar school place?
Many thanks :D
ToadMum

Re: Out of county applications

Post by ToadMum »

strawberry85 wrote:Hi, just joined the forum and my DD will have just started a new school in year 6 as we are in a middle school system in Worcestershire. I understand that I will apply for eleven plus and grammar schools when she is in Year 5, she will then go to a new school where she will sit the test during year 6. Is this correct? If she doesn't get a high enough score for the grammar schools, is her place at middle school at risk or do I simply do nothing and carry on as normal if she doesn't get offered a grammar school place?
Many thanks :D

On the last one, if your system is that you move at the beginning of year 6 (or whenever) then the next time you have to apply for a school place is for ?year 9, then you don't lose / give up the place your DD has unless you apply for somewhere else in the meantime, e.g. a grammar school in another area, are offered the place and accept it and then remove your DD from the school that she was in.

Registering a DC for a state school entrance test and applying for a place are (legally) completely separate actions :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Manon

Post by Manon »

On the assumption that, as you are Worcs based at the moment, you will be applying for a grammar school in either/both of Warks or Birmingham, regardless of what school your daughter is at, you register her to sit the 11+ in the summer of Y5 - from recollection you can register between about mid May and the end of June (don't miss the final date!)

Things were a bit different last year but the exam is then usually held in early September of Y6 and you will receive the results before you have to submit the caf (the school application form) at the end of October. You make the application through the Worcs portal and hear from them on offers day. Assuming she gets a place, and you have fulfilled the residence criteria, she'll move to the grammar school at the beginning of Y7.

If she doesn't get a place, she doesn't lose her place at the school she's currently attending, she just carries on there and you apply for high school in the usual way in due course.

It does mean that you can put three grammar schools on your caf and not have to worry about the third school being a ‘failsafe’ – if she doesn’t get into any of the three, she’ll just carry on at her middle school and then you’ll apply for high school as if she hadn’t sat the 11+.

Birmingham and Warks candidates sit the same test - if you're considering schools in both, your daughter only sits the test once. When you apply for her to sit the test, because you are out of county, you can choose whether to sit it in Birmingham or Warks and you elect to share the results with the other.

If you are considering Birmingham schools, remember they have catchment areas now - each school has its own individual catchment area as opposed to the Worcs system.

Hope that helps!

Manon
strawberry85

Post by strawberry85 »

Manon wrote:On the assumption that, as you are Worcs based at the moment, you will be applying for a grammar school in either/both of Warks or Birmingham, regardless of what school your daughter is at, you register her to sit the 11+ in the summer of Y5 - from recollection you can register between about mid May and the end of June (don't miss the final date!)

Things were a bit different last year but the exam is then usually held in early September of Y6 and you will receive the results before you have to submit the caf (the school application form) at the end of October. You make the application through the Worcs portal and hear from them on offers day. Assuming she gets a place, and you have fulfilled the residence criteria, she'll move to the grammar school at the beginning of Y7.

If she doesn't get a place, she doesn't lose her place at the school she's currently attending, she just carries on there and you apply for high school in the usual way in due course.

It does mean that you can put three grammar schools on your caf and not have to worry about the third school being a ‘failsafe’ – if she doesn’t get into any of the three, she’ll just carry on at her middle school and then you’ll apply for high school as if she hadn’t sat the 11+.

Birmingham and Warks candidates sit the same test - if you're considering schools in both, your daughter only sits the test once. When you apply for her to sit the test, because you are out of county, you can choose whether to sit it in Birmingham or Warks and you elect to share the results with the other.

If you are considering Birmingham schools, remember they have catchment areas now - each school has its own individual catchment area as opposed to the Worcs system.

Hope that helps!

Manon
This is brilliant information, thank you so much x