Key Worker Question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KRIVER

Key Worker Question

Post by KRIVER »

Hi, just wondering why the WCC 11+ online registration form asks if a parent is a key worker? I am a key worker in our household but just wondering what the relevance is? Can anyone can shed any light in this please?
Thanks
Mamabear84

Re: Key Worker Question

Post by Mamabear84 »

I wondered this too! Sorry, no answers but I'd love to know. Husband is a key worker but not sure how/why it's relevant!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

In drawing up their admission arrangements, admission authorities must ensure that the practices and the criteria used to decide the allocation of school places are fair, clear and objective. Parents should be able to look at a set of arrangements and understand easily how places for that school will be allocated.
Additionally, LAs must not
give priority to children according to the occupational, marital, financial or educational status of parents applying. The exceptions to this are children of staff at the school and those eligible for the early years pupil premium, the pupil premium and the service premium...
I can’t find any suggestion that it is relevant to your application and I would assume it is a pandemic planning question. I can’t find any information on the LA website so best policy would be to ask them directly. There is a email on this webpage https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/grammar ... -11-test/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The LA should make it clear to all applicants why this information is being requested.
WarksMum

Post by WarksMum »

I phoned, and was told that the question isn’t relevant, and that it was left on the application from last year. I was informed that it wouldn’t make any difference to the application. I followed-up by specifically asking whether or not there were different treatment or provisions for key worker children, and they said no.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

WarksMum wrote:I phoned, and was told that the question isn’t relevant, and that it was left on the application from last year. I was informed that it wouldn’t make any difference to the application. I followed-up by specifically asking whether or not there were different treatment or provisions for key worker children, and they said no.
So a few minutes' work for their programmer to take it out...?

Did they say why it was on last year's 11+ registration in the first place?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I wonder if they thought they were going to have to rearrange the exam format / venues and wanted to know how many keyworkers kids were likely to still be in school. Seems odd question and TBH shouldn't have been there.
s.wood_2

Post by s.wood_2 »

Might this question have something to do with the fact that keyworker children remained in an educational setting throughout the pandemic and this may be deemed an advantage in the test? I do not believe they ask these questions for no reason. I wondered this myself when i applied.
Mamabear84

Post by Mamabear84 »

I really hope not. Key worker children were just supervised in a group to do the same online learning as everyone else in the majority of cases so gained no advantage. Also the question didn’t ask if children attended school. I am a key worker but my children didn’t attend school as they could be supervised in the home.
rsparma

Post by rsparma »

This played on my mind too. Both my husband and I are key workers but the children certainly didn’t have any teaching advantage. They played a bit more in school with the other children and did some arts and crafts.
I’ll call the council tmrw, although, if they assumed key worker children had an advantage, I doubt they would admit it.
Most likely it’s down to planning incase there was another partial lockdown etc ..
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think you may be reading too much into this. How would they assess or apply any adjustment for an advantage. The schools have to follow both the law and their admissions policy.
scary mum