AGS - sept 21

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nervousmom

Re: AGS - sept 21

Post by nervousmom »

We're not too far from you, in Earlswood. DS will be getting the green bus number 502. The 503 will actually stop outside our house, but its an hour journey, where as the 502 is a 5 min csr journey and a 30 minute bus journey!

DS is lucky to be going to AGS with his cousin and their best friend!

However when DS1 and DD1 started at KEFW they were the only ones from their school, but both made friends on the induction days and stayed friends then the whole way through.

Hopefully the planned induction days will be able to go ahead this year, which will be extremely beneficial to the new year 7 intake.
Last edited by nervousmom on Mon May 10, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceew

Post by Ceew »

Hi, nervousmom- nice to hear there are some AGS families nearby!

That does sound like a preferable commute- we too had the choice of two, but the 503 ended up winning out. A bit of a more circuitous route than the 502, but still convenient hopefully! DS will likely be on the bus each morning, but I anticipate him being very quick to find some after school sports to attend. We have family in Alcester, so I’m thinking the return trip will vary at times. All of this is of course complete supposition with no actual experience of the school or buses :lol:

And I echo your hopes for induction day- I think they will be a fabulous first step toward friendships and feeling a part of the school.
Ceew

Post by Ceew »

As if they heard us wondering, news from the school has arrived. Check your emails if you haven’t already spotted it. Not much new or earth shattering news, but a nice keep-in-touch note. 8)
Ceew

Post by Ceew »

More news from the school yesterday- as expected the July 7 induction day for the children has been postponed until the first day of school in September. Disappointing but completely understandable in light of all that’s going on.

I hope we’ll get some virtual engagement- maybe class groupings and virtual get-to-know you sessions for the children, but nothing was mentioned.

The children will be absolutely fine and settle in without any problem in September. I am so excited for them!
LJandCJ

Post by LJandCJ »

Yes I am hoping we may find out class groupings and who their form tutor is just so they feel like they know something before they walk in the door - I think it’s important they get some snippet of info like this as I’m sure there are many children who haven’t even had the opportunity to even get a tour of the school yet.
del

Post by del »

Induction day has been postponed for SGGS until 3rd September as well. I guess same for all schools.

We have at least already been told which house (form group) each child will be in.

The welcome evening on 1st July is going ahead, but only one parent/carer and NO children allowed to attend.
WarksMum

Post by WarksMum »

Just to give some details about last year’s induction, as I have a Y7 at AGS and our transition day was unfortunately postponed too. There were a couple of videos over the summer from Mr Sentance, Mrs Turner, and Mr Kendall (current Head of Y7). The students were told what form they were in on the first day of term. They’ve all done really well, so try not to worry! x
LJandCJ

Post by LJandCJ »

Ah that’s my fear - that they won’t give any information until that first day :cry: did they tell you anything of use at all before then?
Ceew

Post by Ceew »

Thanks for that, WarksMum. I did sort of infer that from Mr. Sentance’s comments, but was of course hoping for just a bit more info for us or the children to cling on to :lol:
I know they will be fine. It is a little disappointing they won’t have more info ahead of time, but it is good to hear that your y7 and their groups got on well in a similar situation. Any other tidbits or lessons learned for us nearly y7 parents would be welcome too! :wink: :?: :!:
LJandCJ

Post by LJandCJ »

A couple of communications from AGS which has been nice, although I still need to sit ds down to watch the rest of the induction video.

Do we think we’re meant to print out the booklet that’s for them and get them to fill any of it out or will they be given a copy on their first day which they then complete. It was the part with the photo where they fill out the info about themselves that made me wonder!

Hope everyone’s dc’s are looking forward to it…ds is a bit wobbly at the minute, I think because the last few days of primary are upon us.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now