RESULTS THREAD for 2022 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WarksMum

Re: RESULTS THREAD for 2022 entry

Post by WarksMum »

I don’t know what to think about the whole KES thing. When you look at the Rugby grammars, the scores have remained pretty level over the past. AGS and SGGS have risen quite a bit and KES is off the charts. We’ll see how this plays out, seeing that it’s the first year for KES to introduce the inner priority. I do wonder if Warwickshire will consider doing similar for AGS and SGGS in the future, when 3/5 of the Warwickshire grammars (RHS, Sheriff, and now KES) have inner and outer priority zones.
stat

Post by stat »

WarksMum wrote:
Swatzy2409 wrote:If the AQS for KES drops, we'd be worried as it would disadvantage us in the outer priority area :-(

We are also at 245 from outer priority, hoping to get a place in KES...fingers crossed! It would make it so much easier on us all if they could tell us the AQS sooner...
Unfortunately not even Warwickshire School Admissions know the AQS numbers at this stage, as applications aren’t due in until the 31st. They won’t know how many entrants with what scores will apply to which schools.
I pretty much agree with the above.

It can be argued that you can reasonably estimate the potential number of applicants and LA's must do this.

I note that Brimingham set a "Priority Score" before hand.

However I think the issue with setting the AQS too soon is that:
  • 1. under-estimate demand and AQS is too low, which would then have to be rowed back, "you have a place, oh sorry now you don't"

2. similarly, over-estimate and AQS is too high, thereby dissuading potential applicants and potentially having more of a scramble on the waiting list
With regards to the Outer Priority area, I'll be honest the model isn't kind.

But it is just a model with lies, damned lies and stats.

Wishing everyone success, as 10 year olds they should be very proud. My one walked out half way through her first mock but wanted to be at the front of the queue on the day itself. Sometimes I think there really should be another way.
Loopy21

Post by Loopy21 »

Swatzy2409 wrote:If the AQS for KES drops, we'd be worried as it would disadvantage us in the outer priority area :-(

We are also at 245 from outer priority, hoping to get a place in KES...fingers crossed! It would make it so much easier on us all if they could tell us the AQS sooner...

I don’t think it matters to those who aren’t in the inner circle as to what the AQS is as it’s only likely to be a few places available to boys from the outer circle. This is why they changed the circle as they want boys who live closer to the school. First its any SEN children who named KES on their EHCP. Then it’s looked after children. Then it’s up to 13 pupil premium boys from inner or outer circle. This year I imagine all 13 of those will be filled, as many lost jobs because of covid so more children will have had free school meals in this area than historically. Then up to 70 places will go to the highest scoring boys in the inner circle. I think the up to 70 is because they can’t know in any given year how many SEN children or looked after children there will be, so it’s covering their backs, because 83 places going to pupil premium and inner circle only leaves 4 places for SEN and looked after children. Anyone not in the inner circle is unlikely to get in, in my opinion, unless they have EHCP naming the school, are looked after/previously were or have the pupil premium. It’s designed to only offer to outer circle as a last resort.
kenil18

Post by kenil18 »

Hi,
I’m new to this site so hello all. My son has just scored 245 which we’re hoping will be high enough for KES. We’re in the inner priority circle.
We’re in Kenilworth and I wondered if anyone is local to us and is hoping to secure a place at KES as well? My son is a bit nervous that he doesn’t know any boys who might be going so it would be great to be in touch with anyone else who is in the same boat?
Thanks so much.
rahulbsp

Post by rahulbsp »

Hi,
Can anyone please tell for Stratford Grammar school for Girls for Category 3 (its priority area is around 16.7 mile radius) , is the preference score or the distance if the pupil is in the priority area ?

So if someone has scored suppose 245 but is around 15 mile from school and another has scored 225 but is 9 mile from school , then who would get the preference?

I am bit confused as the last year details of Category 3 mentions below, so does that mean that even if you are in priority area and have scored way above the qualifying score you will not get the seat if you were between 11-16 miles radius ?

Category 3
Children in the priority area who achieve the
Automatic Qualifying Score or above

(Not all in this category offered.
Category split by distance at score
of 224. Furthest distance to be
offered = 10.776 miles – straight
line
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

rahulbsp wrote:Hi,
Can anyone please tell for Stratford Grammar school for Girls for Category 3 (its priority area is around 16.7 mile radius) , is the preference score or the distance if the pupil is in the priority area ?

So if someone has scored suppose 245 but is around 15 mile from school and another has scored 225 but is 9 mile from school , then who would get the preference?

I am bit confused as the last year details of Category 3 mentions below, so does that mean that even if you are in priority area and have scored way above the qualifying score you will not get the seat if you were between 11-16 miles radius ?

Category 3
Children in the priority area who achieve the
Automatic Qualifying Score or above

(Not all in this category offered.
Category split by distance at score
of 224. Furthest distance to be
offered = 10.776 miles – straight
line
http://www.sggs.org.uk/attachments/down ... 4&type=pdf

To differentiate in the case of children with the same score in any of the following categories, those who live nearest the School in straight-line distance will be given priority

From that statement, I would read it that ranking is on score within a category (so girl with 245 ranks above girl with 225), but within a score, ranking would be by distance. This would only really be relevant where there are more with a given score than there are places remaining, e.g. 'PAN minus 4' places left when the ranking on score gets to 224, but 7 girls share that score, so the 3 furthest away are relegated to the waiting list.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SSN

Post by SSN »

Thank You Stat!

[quote="stat"][quote="SSN"]Hi Stat,

May I please request to estimate AQS for SGGS with your formulas? I hope its not too much efforts.
Daughter has got 226 and as it is borderline for SGGS; we are anxious!

Thank You.[/quote]

I have this one already as it's where my daughter wants to go.

[b]But again standard lies, damned lies and stats[/b]

I reckon that with a 10% increase in demand we are looking at a AQS in the 223 to 227 range.

So she is certainly in the mix, all credit to her.[/quote]
rahulbsp

Post by rahulbsp »

Thanks for the reply, so in CAT3 what does the reference of distance of 10.776 mean in below line , if the priority area circle is around 16 miles ?

"Not all in this category offered. Category split by distance at score of 224. Furthest distance to be offered = 10.776 miles – straight line"
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

rahulbsp wrote:Thanks for the reply, so in CAT3 what does the reference of distance of 10.776 mean in below line , if the priority area circle is around 16 miles ?

"Not all in this category offered. Category split by distance at score of 224. Furthest distance to be offered = 10.776 miles – straight line"

The girl who was one of the ones with the score of 224 who got the last place lived 10.776 Mike's from the school. The next ranked (by distance) could have lived 10.777 miles away, or anywhere up to the radius of the circle. The conditions for being considered under the criterion are that the girl lives within the priority area defined and scores at least x; it is necessary to fulfil the criteria, but not sufficient.

A catchment area (often now termed priority admissions area) is a defined geographical space, whether e.g. 'a circle with a radius of x miles from the school', or one whose boundary is marked e.g. by the Axyz Road to the north, a particular river to the west and streets A and B on the other sides. The distance of the last pupil admitted is fluid, depending on the demographics/ geographical location of the applicants in a given year.

It causes confusion when people talk about 'catchment area' when what they mean is the latter.

de jure vs de facto, so to speak.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ssup

Post by Ssup »

Hi,

Our DD scored 211 and is hoping to join RHS or Ashlawn. We are currently outside catchment and thus are planning to move within catchment before 31st Dec. What do you think her chances are with 211 and non PP at both the schools - RHS and Ashlawn?
Last edited by Ssup on Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now