What - if anything - can we work out from the rankings?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mamabear84

What - if anything - can we work out from the rankings?

Post by Mamabear84 »

I've had a look at the rankings for 2022 but honestly don't know what I'm looking at or how to deduce anything from it. Can anyone give me any pointers please?
Vicksteroo

Re: What - if anything - can we work out from the rankings?

Post by Vicksteroo »

I'm sure there are others with far more in depth knowledge on this than me, but I found it helpful to have an idea of where my children came in the cohort, as from that I could work out roughly how many people were above them in the application stakes. I knew that (for Rugby at least) there were 120 places at LSS (at the time my son applied), as well as roughly half of the 31 spaces at Ashlawn which would go to boys, so if he was in the top 135 in the Eastern Area he was probably a shoe in for a place. I don't think they split them by area this year, so you could work out how many places there are altogether for your child in all Warwickshire grammars, and if they're within that number from the top of the list they've got a good chance (although of course the AQS for the Southern area is much higher, but because we weren't looking at those schools my assumptions were pretty safe for Rugby). If your child is lower down the rankings, perhaps look at previous years rankings and AQSs for the school you've applied to, and see which rank was at the AQS as a rough guide. Obviously it'll vary a bit each year but it should give some guidance.

I also worked out what percentile my children were at - my son was in the 11th percentile and would have (just) made in to KES in that year, and he easily gained a space at LSS. My daughter is in the 12th percentile this year, so I'm confident she'll be fine for RHS based on the same reasoning (and similar AQSs). I don't know if that helps, but that's what my brain came up with! :D

Good luck.
Mamabear84

Re: What - if anything - can we work out from the rankings?

Post by Mamabear84 »

Thanks that's really useful and interesting. I tried to make some kind of sense of it but unfortunately last year's rankings didn't include the Birmingham cohort and this year's did so it seems to be quite hard to compare. Compared to the year before it looks like she'd be ok but not entirely sure if I'm doing it right.

Just have to be patient I suppose!