2010 Admissions Public Meeting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Have great sympathy with Optimist . Entry to selective school should be on merit in entrance exam and not depend upon catchment/non catchment area.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I completely agree with Sassie's dad
fed up

Post by fed up »

Anyone prepared to hazard a guess at what the adjudicator will come up with?
We could lay bets.
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

As important as what is when!
fed up

Post by fed up »

I think as WP said, the decision will be made by the end of September and will affect September 2010 entry. I would think it unlikely that it would be left open ended for another year.
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

So it is possible that a child who is preparing for the exam now will find out 5 days before the exam that all the effort they have put in means they cannot sit the exam.

Complete madness.
fed up

Post by fed up »

Yes, it's really cruel. I imagine they'll be told they can still sit the exam (after all, every parent has a right to apply for the school they want for their child, blah, blah) but that their chances of getting in are practically non-existent. You couldn't make it up, really.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

fed up wrote:Yes, it's really cruel. I imagine they'll be told they can still sit the exam (after all, every parent has a right to apply for the school they want for their child, blah, blah) but that their chances of getting in are practically non-existent. You couldn't make it up, really.
I think that would be utterly disgraceful, but I fear you may be right.
WP

Post by WP »

The adjudicators' timetable was always tight, because of the annual cycle of publishing arrangements, objections and adjudication. But it has been made much worse by the decision of Ed Balls in March 2008 (DCSF press release) to extend the period for objections from 6 weeks to 16 weeks. Before 2008, adjudication decisions on secondary admissions usually appeared in July and August. Now they are more likely to appear as late as September or October, close to the deadline for lodging preferences.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

newdawn wrote:So it is possible that a child who is preparing for the exam now will find out 5 days before the exam that all the effort they have put in means they cannot sit the exam.

Complete madness.
That is so unfair - I would have thought they would have left things as these are for 2010 admissions (this is what they did last year).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now