Best place to move to..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
youngest

Post by youngest »

When I phoned admissions and asked, I was told most firmly that the papers were not multiple choice.

"Oh but..." I said "The sample paper has multiple choice questions on it."

"Oh no" I was informed "It is a standard format test, the answers are written in the booklet, even the ones where there is a choice of answers and not shaded on a multiple choice grid."

Oh and as far as Rugby is concerned, I would advise - consider the school priority area the house sits in, just in case the Grammar place doesn't happen. If it is Bilton High have a look round to see if the recent departure of the Principal has improved things before you buy the house.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

youngest wrote:It is a standard format test, the answers are written in the booklet, even the ones where there is a choice of answers and not shaded on a multiple choice grid.
That is the same as last year. By "standard format" admissions just mean there is no separate answer sheet. That was true last year, but the majority of questions involved selecting the correct answer from a choice of A,B,C,D. Most of us would refer to that style as multiple choice, wouldn't we?

Anyway - Best of luck with it!
youngest

Post by youngest »

Most of us would refer to that style as multiple choice, wouldn't we?
We would indeed!
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Have to disagree with this, MC is where an answer has to be selected from a number of given s (it is essentially easier as the correct answer is given - the correct answer is capable of being guessed , without being known) whereas Standard Format is a written (long) answer where the candidate has to give their own view and has no clue offered!

Last years' combined format exam broke new ground. I am interested to know if this was duplicated in 2009. As KenR has said in another posting. CEM produce bespoke exams in which things are never quite the same twice. It is also noted in the Warwickshire CC notes for the current year that the 11+ results will be subjected to different Standardisation than formerly.

“For Entry in Year 7 in September 2009 and September 2010
In schools where there is a selective process, admission at an automatic level will be determined by comparing the children's performances in two tests commissioned by Warwickshire Education from the University of Durham CEM (Centre for Educational Measurement) Unit.

The standardisation of the new papers is likely to be different from those of previous tests, but the Committees of Reference will adhere to a similar standard of ability for admission to each of the schools involved.â€
KenR

Post by KenR »

This sounds like they are going to revert to a standard type of standardisation for the cohort similar to the B/Ham CEM 11+ exams

Presumably they will set the pass scores each year based on the percerages of places available.

They might even split out the NVR, VR and Numerical in the same way they KE B/Ham do.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Hi Ken,

I thought that the 'usual' method of standardisation had been used for the last 2 years - since they moved away from Morray House. Certainly 2 years ago I was assured by both NfER and Warks Admissions that they did not use any external data for standarisation; children were only compared against others sitting that year's bespoke Warwickshire test, and then only in their area (South or East). I'd be interested to hear from anyone who applied for both areas - did you get 2 different scores?

I don't know about last year - but I assumed the same - given that it is a bespoke test, how could they have done otherwise?

Also - as I understand, last year scores were broken down by VR, NVR & maths: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... c&start=10
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Charlotte

Just checked the old postings, you are correct the standard method of Standardisation was used last year but I think this was changed from the previous year using the interim NFER papers. I beleive they wanted to keep the scores similar for transition year of NFER.

Last year the average southern standardised score was about 110 (for Shottery) with a min average 107 for the eastern selective schools. Given the increases in number this year, this will probably increase quite a lot. (you can predict this from the number actually taking the test)
Dadof3

Post by Dadof3 »

Does anyone know how many actually sat the test in Warwickshire this year, both Southern and Eastern area?
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Well, according to the Daily Telegraph it is around 1,790 but you may want to check with Warwickshire LEA admissions...
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Fewer than last year then (1850)??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now