How did it go?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Can I just double check Rugbymum please...only SEVERAL? My daughter says that she left out A LOT more than that. Apparently that is what her friends are saying too...
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I think I remember a conversation between KenR and FM (think it was these two members) and the essence of the conversation was that you can leave out the answers to many questions and still pass easily. I will try to track it down...I need to see this information very badly right now.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Ed's mum wrote:Can I just double check Rugbymum please...only SEVERAL? My daughter says that she left out A LOT more than that. Apparently that is what her friends are saying too...
It was either several or a lot...sorry can't remember. Probably best to check old threads on this one. If many people had to leave out a lot, then the qualifying score will be set lower?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

This is what was written last year by KenR:
Hi fm

Certainly agree that the scores are very much lower for this type of test.

It's quite important that candidates understand that they can miss out quite a lot of questions in this particular type of exam and still pass easily.

Regards
I hope that I haven't quoted this information out of context.

Rugbymum, I'm not trying to interrogate you, just stressing a bit! My daughter is convinced that a fair few of the people she spoke to had missed out many questions. Hopefully, this will have been a common problem and the pass mark will be low!
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

That was the point I was trying to make.

Missing out 20 from 100 or 20 from nearly 300.

End of the day it may try and ease our minds but nothing will change anything now.
happymum2

Post by happymum2 »

Hi

My son took the 11+ today and also said it was hard (paper one was harder than 2) and he had to leave some questions out. He also said that it was completely different from the sample paper that was sent with the information letter. I do not understand why they have given them examples and then made it completely different (and I am not too happy about this!)

My daughter did the 11+ a couple of years ago and got into RHS. She left some out and she was ok!

Who knows - just got to wait now!!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

And so begins the LONG wait... :(
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Eds Mum

I think the thread you referred to was as follows:-

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 23&start=0

Remember through:-

This was for a KE B/Ham CEM Exam in 2006

All CEM exams are slightly different, particularly the Warks bespoke exams.

Raw scores and standardisations do vary by cohort and exam difficultly. This particular early KE B/Ham CEM exams had a lot of time pressured synomyms at that time - 80 questions in 10 mins or 1 every 7-8 secs!

The scores do often vary dramatically between question types (my son scored very high in Maths/Numerical, Good in NVR and very poor in VR)

Hope this helps

Sorry - I should add that Warwickshire standardised scores are slightly different to KE B/Ham. The former are standardised against a national standard to maintain compatible scores with the old Morey House & NFER scores whereas KE B/ham standardise against the cohort. The warwickshire standardised scores are therefore much higher. The thing to bear in mind is that the pass percentiles will be broadly similar - even with the large increase in the number of candidates this year
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Last year my son came an equal 20th with 6 other children for South Warwickshire with a score of 380 out of 469. He didn't think he had done very well when he came out of the exam, particularly missing lots out in the verbal reasoning part of the test. He scored 116 on this with 135 in numeric and 129 non verbal. I was a little surprised as verbal was his strongest area and numeracy his worst! The automatic qualifying scores for the Eastern and Southern Grammar schools ranged from 320 up to 329 so he passed quite easily. These marks are for a July baby ( sorry but I find raw /standardised scoring rather complicated), but as stated by Ken R pass percentiles do remain similar.

I suppose what I am trying to basically point out is that your child can miss a lot out and still pass, and hopefully try to make worried parents feel a little better!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thank you KerR and mummyjo.

My daughter is fine today and I am feeling slightly more positive!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now