Results / Allocations 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Dear all,

This post is really intended for anyone with children sitting the test in 2010. My son, who is a bright boy; top tables, all 5s at end yr5, etc., came out of the exam in a terrible state. He had never encountered anything as hard and it threw him completely. He was convinced that he had failed and remained so until we got the results.

He passed easily - I'm not going to post his exact score and rank as it may give away our identities ;-) - roughly though, his standardised score was mid 340s, his rank higher than 80 and his birthday more than a month before Christmas. The break down of his standardised score shows that he was pretty consistent across the 3 areas, but just a little (6 & 7 marks) better at VR.

I have just phoned for his raw scores and was totally shocked! No wonder he was upset! What a huge amount of seriously difficult questions there must have been.

Scores were:

VR 81/125 - 65%
Num 33/83 - 40% !!!
NVR 22/37 - 60%

Food for thought? My son did panic when he couldn't get things finished in time or just found things too hard. It was awful to see him so distressed after the test, he felt that he had let himself down and that he could have done so much better. Parents please take note: this test is HARD - your children will leave out huge chunks of questions. Prepare them for this!! We had warned our son that this would be the case, but obviously not enough.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Firstly Charlotte, congratulations to you and your son, it has been a very difficult year for all concerned and it must be such a huge relief. Secondly thankyou for the information, it is incredibly helpful for the children to know what to expect. Nowadays bright children are often not pushed enough at school and generally find things relatively easy and for them to suddenly be faced with something very difficult (as this test seems to have been) could be very disconcerting for them and I imagine in some cases panic would set in.
Once again Well Done
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Thank you Charlotte 67. Your post was very useful as we are going to have to go through it all again in 18 months. Your son must be made of strong stuff to do so well when he was so understandably upset.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Well done C67's son.

Your son's experience is the same as that of a close friend whose very bright and able daughter was so upset after the exam that she cried for ages, convinced she had failed. She passed. But it has made me question why do they have to made the exam so horribly difficult :?
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Thank you all for your good wishes. We should never have doubted him, or the system, but the feedback he gave us was so grim that we really weren't expecting a pass. I couldn't understand it though, as all previous evidence suggested that he should have no problems 'getting in'.

It was interesting that several children (who it turns out did not pass) came out saying that the exam was 'easy'! I had warned my son to ignore what others said during the break between tests, but some did play mind games and he went into the second test feeling very down. After the test I asked whether **** (huge brainiac classmate) had found it 'easy' and he said, "No. He said it was very hard."

As to why it is so hard... I guess it really sorts the wheat from the chaff - there's less chance of a lucky guess making a significant difference in scores. I don't really know, I'm just glad it is all over for this family! Happy to help with next year's crop though.

BTW Rugbymum, what happens next?

Charlotte
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

What's the maximum standradised score you can get in each paper. Sorry, if I sound naive.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I'm not sure that there is a maximum as such - it depends on the cohort and how the standardisation is applied. Last year the top score in Southern Warks was 143+139+143 = 425.
rugbyfan

Post by rugbyfan »

Hi sorry to trouble you but I am after some advise, what is eleven plus, how does it work and please can somone explian it to me

Many Thanks
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Charlotte67 wrote:
BTW Rugbymum, what happens next?

Charlotte
What do you mean? Sorry to be dim :?
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

rugbyfan - the 11+ is an exam that children (in some areas) sit early in year 6; the results of which can decide which school they are allocated for year 7. If you wish to know more, please ask.

Rugbymum - I meant when do we hear from the school? Do they have a gathering other than on thingy day (when all children go to their new class - sorry, can't think of word)? But I guess this is a bit off topic & I should be patient & wait to find out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now