11 plus 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Re: 11 plus 2010

Post by mike1880 »

I know where you're coming from (we have a lot of "background" with our son as well) - but you're looking at it from the perspective of him having won his place. What if he hadn't? What if he'd had a terrible day, panicked and blown it completely? Wouldn't you like to feel there was at least the possibility that someone might have an opportunity to speak up on his behalf?

Mike
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

This committee process does happen in Warwickshire. Per the letter refusing my recent appeal it says "the commitee scrutinises the head teachers' reports for pupils within the prescribed score range, but from this there is no evidence to to suggest X did not perform on the day."

The prescribed score range is the waiting list range.

I have a copy of that head's report, academically (SATs predictions and rankings) DD could not have performed better at her current school. Comments had also been provided these were very good also.

The number of automatic qualifiers were 80 for AGS (PAN 90), the automatic standard was 329. As far as I can deduce, from the information I have (that came with the appeal documents), the committee of reference then awarded the 10 places not originally allocated to the next batch of scores. I can only assume that this simply means they were all equally deserving of a GS place based on their SATs preditctions, primary school rankings etc, so the 11+ score was still used to allocate the places rather than this extra information.

Rose Petal.
um

Post by um »

I do accept what you're saying, Mike, as yes, I'm in the very fortunate position that my son has gained a place at the school we wanted. But with 4 more to go, I would still feel uncomfortable with Head's reports and teacher assessments playing a significant part in children's chances at 11 plus (even though, in all honesty, I know they'd be good!). I imagine that there would be some situations where pressure was brought to bear on the Head to overegg things - particularly in private schools where money is changing hands as a matter of course. Again, there may be some families/children who are not in the Head's friendship book through no fault of their own.
I suppose though that there would be some mechanism for the parents to access these reports and comment on their accuracy - but it all seems very complicated.

RE: the speed of the test, I kind of felt as if they were testing the child's confidence in a way, and their ability to be steadfast in all situations. A pretty high expectation of an 11 year old, but nevertheless I've learned with my younger ones to try and develop resilience - which is worth it not just for the test, of course, but for life in general.
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Hi Rose.

A very interesting post there. I think its good that they do look at some of the others that havent attained the top scores. I was always useless at exams at school, and wouldve benefitted by an added apparaisal like that.
Guess there are 2 ways of lookign at it tho as others have commented , if you have a teacher who just doesnt favour your child. Our little one is very good academically, but does have a habit of getting involved in many of the small incidents going on in the class. Just wonder if the headmisstress reports are on academics only ?
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

The head referral asks for the ranking and the number in the year group. It then goes on to ask for current SATs levels and predicted levels. It also gives a small space for other comments. In DD's case however these other comments were on a separate sheet (don't know the reason for this) and it would seem that the current school is asked to rank the child as either N-nervous, W-hardworking or S-slow.

Maybe I'm being niaeve (sp?) but would a Head really write something bad, aren't they more likely to write something wishy-washy "tries hard etc" or nothing at all!

Rose Petal.