It's all so quiet here

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Thanks Mike1880.

I have to admit to wincing at the thought of 100-135 questions per 45 mins paper, at least we are being warned this time unlike the first time around :roll:
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

So you want encouragement? Be firm : believe in yourselves. Education is the great leveler. Take a stance. Commit to a an action; you have but one chance . Use it well. Fortune favours the brave: good luck to you all!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Ronald wrote:Forgive me if I only speak for myself here, but there are some of us on this site who battled for our children's right to sit the test, and then found that, even if they scored more highly than children from Rugby, they were still denied places. There are many of us going through appeals. There are many of us planning to move. For us, the Warwickshire site with its air of congratulation isn't always the best place to be.
I can imagine (I think) how you must be feeling, Ronald. I think many people have struggled since there were changes to the admissions policy.
I am surprised that you feel that the Warks section has an 'air of congratulation' however.
Please don't be put off from posting on this section...
youngest

Post by youngest »

There's not much to say in Warwickshire at the moment.
DS2 is year 5 so the next excitement will be the forms to fill in to register for the 11 plus.
Latest info here:
http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... 8500505256
says:
02 July 2010: Apply Online website opens, 11+ registration forms sent to Warwickshire schools
16 July 2010: Closing date for 11+ Registration
but here:
http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... 8500505256
says:
Registration forms will be sent to all Warwickshire Primary and Junior Schools in June
The application form will also be posted on this website in June. Then you can download a copy to fill out and send to us.
You can ring and request a registration form from our offices in June.
Closing Date for on-time 11+ Registration: 16 July 2010
At least the closing date agrees!
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I agree with the other posters. I am surprised by comments which suggest a certain smugness on the Warwickshire site. I have two girls eight years apart and the first has supposedly benefited from always being in the independent sector. She is currently completing year two of a Biomedical Science degree. Youngest is a scholar and bursary holder at at Rugby School. Although doing well academically her time at Rugby has been difficult socially (and as a parent I am feeling the stress too). I am honestly questioning if I did the right thing by giving dd2 a free choice. However, I think that parents who feel their child deserves to be academically stretched should keep faith. Unfortunately there is no perfect solution, Grammars Schools in Warwickshire are not perfect but the alternative, of just leaving everything to chance is far from perfect too!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Although doing well academically her time at Rugby has been difficult socially (and as a parent I am feeling the stress too).
Parenting children who are having a hard time socially is one of the most difficult things we do. I think lots of people on here will empathise SD. Girls are notoriously harder in this department than boys, though of course the latter are not immune. Girls can be tremendously mean and spiteful (we are in the middle of a bitter dispute over who will share a tent with whom on the next DofE weekend - regular tears on the way home) and it is very hard to sit back and watch it all happen. I doubt if it is the school - it happens everywhere and is truly horrible. Sympathies :(
Optimist

Re: It's all so quiet here

Post by Optimist »

I think I just heard a pin drop, and it sounded quite loud :roll:
youngest

Post by youngest »

Optimist wrote:I think I just heard a pin drop, and it sounded quite loud :roll:
It's better now we are all back from holiday!
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Less than 4 weeks to go . Time to press the panic button ! :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now