How many students are tutored?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Nearly all the parents of children in my daughter's class told me that they had tutors for their children. We were in the minority for neither employing a tutor nor doing any tutoring. It was a huge risk really and something that I cannot really explain as I had been looking forward to spending that time with her.
mad?

Post by mad? »

DD1 no tutor, did some practice papers with her, bit of bond 'how to' and tried really really hard to get her to understand that whilst she might think adjectives and adverbs, let alone metaphors and similies, are an unnecessary waste of pencil lead; she was going to have to 'stick them in' regardless. No regular amount of work but lots of nagging.
DD2 tutor, one hour a week from after easter to a month before the exam, nothing over the holidays. One practice paper a week as homework for the last 6 weeks of tutoring. Strict instructions from the tutor not to do anything else (given in front of DD2 so I was scuppered really!).
Long and short of it is that DD2 was much better prepared, and spent far far less time even thinking about it as we had a complete divide between preparation and 'our lives'. That said, if I was doing it again I would DIY as I now know that it is quality rather than quantiy that counts!
Also, 'tutoring' can be a misleading term, just because one DIYs it does not mean that DC are not 'tutored'. :?
mad?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My 2 just did a set of practice papers and we showed them how to do the ones they got wrong. I had no idea of the format at all.

It was a while ago though and I think things have got tougher since then. Not sure I would be so blasé now
youngest

Post by youngest »

DD - no tutor - wouldn't work with me - no competitive spirit - no grammar place.
DS1 - no tutor - suddenly found a competitive spirit and had the desire to practice with me the week before the test - grammar place.
DS2 - CEM paper to do rather than verbal reasoning - weekly tutor and practice of all round skills - watch this space for results next March!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now