Warwickshire 11 Plus Registration Form online now

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

Re: Warwickshire 11 Plus Registration Form online now

Post by mike1880 »

Mr Benn wrote:Mike - How do you know how much each section is worth per centage wise ?
is that an official figure or guesstimate ?
There are a couple of posts about 2009 results (search for concerto's posts - may be on B'ham section) that give raw scores and standardised scores. There's no weighting of the sections to reflect the number of questions in each, the three standardised scores are simply added together.
Concerned wrote:I, for one, am pleased that there's a levelling measure (NVR)...So hooray for NVR!!
I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be there (I'm sure it would have done our son's chances no harm at all) - I just wonder why 37 NVR questions carry the same weight as 125 VR questions :shock: !

Mike
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

Mike is correct with his percentages, that is roughly the percentages of the 11+ last year. I should stress last year, who knows about the current year.

The total possible raw scores in each category were as follows:

NVR - 10 minutes of testing (11% of time) - 37 of the 245 raw marks (15%)
Numeracy - 35 minutes of testing (39% of time) - 83 of the 245 raw marks (34%)
VR - 45 minutes of testing (50% of time) - 125 of the 245 raw marks (51%)

Each of these three areas were then standardised to account for around 1/3rd of the total standardised marks each.

The above figures have been arrived at by obtaining details of DD's raw scores following the 11+ last October, and also being told what the total standardised score available in each category was.

Mike wrote:
(I must admit, I have reservations about so few VR questions making up so much of the final total, I'd be interested to know the reason for that.)
I assume you mean NVR and like you I would like to know the answer to that!!! I also am not really arguing that this is incorrect, but I would argue that it should have been made clear on the literature that Warwickshire provided about the 11+ - transparency and all that. Some areas of the country the VR accounts for double, but it is known about.

What this means is that around the 100 to 110 standardised score in each section, 1 extra correct in VR got you 1 extra standardised score, 1 extra correct in Numeracy got you 1 extra standardised marks, but 1 extra correct in NVR got you in many cases 3 extra standardised marks.

If my DD had the same overall raw score (or even a bit lower raw score) but more correct in NVR and less correct in VR/Numeracy she would have had an automatic place instead of being on the waiting list.

Hope that helps you plan your 11+ strategy for the future.

Rose Petal.
Concerned

Post by Concerned »

Apologies Mike1880, I think I took the wrong inferance from your earlier posting - just one of the problems of poor reading skills!!
I see what you mean now (explained very well by Rose Petal in numbers - which I do) one correct NVR is worth more than one correct VR - seems strange, but worth knowing.
Concerned
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Rose - is that the same formula applied to Alcester Grammer as well.
I only ask as its very confusing all these differences. Mrs Benn , like me, cant understand why there isnt just one 11+ and you can use that score to apply for any Grammer School. But I guess that would be too logical. (bangs head on desk ).
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Yes, it's the same (if you think this is confusing think yourself lucky you're not in Gloucs where they standardise the scores separately for each school you apply for - so you get a different result for each school from the same exam :shock: !!!).
Mr Benn wrote:Mrs Benn , like me, cant understand why there isnt just one 11+ and you can use that score to apply for any Grammer School. But I guess that would be too logical. (bangs head on desk ).
Personally, I'm in favour of more 11+ exams rather than fewer - we all have off days and as someone has commented on an unrelated thread, this is the only exam you can never retake...

Mike
youngest

Post by youngest »

Mr Benn wrote:Anybody had any confirmation back that their posted application form has been received ?

Posted ours about a week ago, heard nothing yet (it does say allow 10 days I seem to recall) ?
Has anyone had confirmation?

Posted our form in the first week and I've had nothing back!
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

I haven't had confirmation either. As far as I remember we did receive an acknowledgement last time. Anyway, I called Admissions to check for peace of mind and they confirmed he was on the list. You could always do the same, if you are worried.
Sherbetlemon

Post by Sherbetlemon »

I rang to check this morning as no confirmation received through the post - not unreasonably, as it's probably not quite a fortnight since I posted the form off (i.e. 10 working days), but as the closing date is this Friday, I thought it best to be sure... Anyway, she is in the system.
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Guys - just checking but what number did you call ?

What is also strange is how some of the 11 plus exams are in February, as much as 3 months later. Guess its equal to all kids though.
Sherbetlemon

Post by Sherbetlemon »

Tel: (01926) 742037 or (01926) 742047