Grammar School or Princethorpe or Rugby

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DarkEnergy

Grammar School or Princethorpe or Rugby

Post by DarkEnergy »

What would you do if money was not an issue?

After looking at Rugby High School and Princethorpe, I am undecided. RHS is clearly an academic success. Princethorpe has so much else going for it and is good academically. The question is I know my DD would do well at both, but where would she be happiest? Tough question (and yes, I have asked her, she said Princethorpe). Has anyone got experience of Princethorpe and RHS comparison?

I was recently very put off by an awful RHS open evening.... dull and dreary. Also very lazy management as they know kids want to go there anyway, so if that is the performance of the management, what chance the teachers.

Good alternatives seem to be Princethorpe and Rugby (no knowledge of) and where else?
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Ed's mum

Re: Grammar School or Princethorpe or Rugby

Post by Ed's mum »

If money is not part of the equation, then Rugby School. We were fortunate that daughter was able to choose - she was offered a 50% scholarship to Princethorpe plus a bursary, a place at RHS and a Foundation Scholarship to Rugby plus a bursary. Don't choose rugby unless you ate happy for them to eat, sleep and breathe school though as day pupils attend on Saturdays once in year 9 and also Chapel on Sundays. Absolutely recommend the school though. Ed Hester is the Head at Princethorpe now and I thought he was lovely - moved from Rugby last year. I agree re RHS open evening but I don't think that is a true reflection. I went there in the late 80a/early 90s and cannot fault it from then. Princethorpe has amazing grounds and a beautiful building.
Let's face it, they are all great schools.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Its either RHS or Princethorpe for us - we fell in love with Princethorpe during their open evening and DC had a taster day there.

I have not considered Rugby because they do not really join until year 9 and I cannot afford their fees.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I agree about the fees re Rugby but there are scholarships and bursaries. Both mine have started at the juniour house - Marshall House - which starts from year 7. Don't rule it out DarkEnergy without investigating further as we never thought we could afford to send our children there and thought it wasn't an option for us. Happy to privately discuss (via PM) salaries/bursaries with anyone genuinely considering the school. We have been incredibly fortunate and I can't recommend the school more highly.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

My daughter has just finished Y8 at RHS. We are very happy with the school.