Give it a rest - advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DarkEnergy

Give it a rest - advice please

Post by DarkEnergy »

DD and I are busy on the last run up to 11+ exam. Lots of prep, but coming to the view that we have done everything now and it might be a good idea to have a rest before the exam. Currently planning to stop 11+ prep 7 days before exam and focus on rest and relaxation, and plenty of sleep.

What have others done in similar positions? What works best? What went wrong?

Cheers
DE
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Rugbymum

Re: Give it a rest - advice please

Post by Rugbymum »

I have to say that I am much more laidback this time round than with my son :oops:
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Me too. Having taken kids through the 11 plus over the years, it becomes more and more apparent that some are meant to pass and some are not. Common determining factor is 'do they want to go to grammar school'. I have taught some with parents who want them to go and kids who do not. Not a successful conjunction.

Anyway, nearly time to sit back and see what happens.
DE
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Sorry I am budging in from Kent. We are really doing what you are doing. We pushed her hard to breaking point when scores started going down really terribly and so we stopped 2 weeks ago. Last week she has done nothing, the previous one just a few exercises but no papers. I think its very easy to overkill with papers like we found out. Our test in on the 14/15 so about 10 days to go. This week I gave her 3 papers and thats it for papers. I found some Schofield and sims maths worksheets that we will just use next week to keep her brains ticking and just little bits of VR and VR perhaps just 30mins max a night and that will be it till the exam. When do you have your test?

I too feel we have done everything we possibly can and nothing we will do now will change what she gets. We are stopping all the work on Thursday and exam will be on Tuesday so not too far off from the 7 days you are planning in. Good Luck :D
Impossible is Nothing.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would advise tailing off now too. she has the start of term to contend with and last minute cramming may just knock confidence. Lots of praise and sleep!
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Yes, with about 5 weeks to go, it is time to wind it down slowly.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Last time I tailed off towards the end and it seemed to feel right. We won't do much in the last week or so. Just sharpen our Staedtler HBs and wait.
youngest

Post by youngest »

Sounds like a good plan.
I thought I'd try reinforce exam technique and handwriting - no good knowing the answer if no-one can read it!!
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

I feel were going the other way - trying to to loads of testing so its fresh in her mind before the exam. Maybe that worked better for me. Will definately slow down as the last week approches though.
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I have to say that I too am more relaxed this time with my second, and we haven't done much at all. I think there is no point learning to do an exam and then struggling with the speed of the school work once there! What will be will be....
But I have stepped the revision up now after having a very lazy summer - hoping it might stick now, rather than having done it too early and forgotten/fed up with it all!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now