Its over

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

youngest

Re: Its over

Post by youngest »

MoJo wrote:Son said easy but when pressed did say it wasnt just the first couple questions he missed out but that whole first section! Eek! Hoping that what he thought was easy will give him enough marks to get through. I am surprised about this section as he is good with words. Dont want say more in care re sit sick children get tips! Any other comments about section 1 to reassure me? Could be initial nerves I guess.
DS couldn't remember what the first section was!
ernestcyril

Post by ernestcyril »

Isn't it all horribly nerve racking...twiddling thumbs waiting for March..doesn't really help to listen to what anyone else thought, I would imagine they did as well as they could, and well done for all the effort. I did suggest I hid under the desk to help with answers (although not convinced I would have done any better), but apparently that's cheating!! Yes, my DD said first section was harder than second. (My friends DD came out of last years test saying she had missed out loads of questions and hadn't really understood the rest, spent more time watching a child who was taken ill with a panic attack! She was ranked in the top ten! She is and always has been a clever little girl :) )
Sherbetlemon

Post by Sherbetlemon »

I suppose if enough people post then a consensus may emerge, but really, unless you know the children in question, the opinions of individuals aren't that useful. Children who found it easy might have been kidding themselves, or they might be high-fliers, or it might have actually been easy... I should think it depends a lot on whether the child is a 'glass half-full' or 'half-empty' sort of person. I'd be surprised, though, if the test was designed to 'compensate' for previous years - compensate whom?

For what it's worth, my daughter seemed to find it as hard as her sister did two years ago (i.e. pretty hard). The big one passed comfortably, the little one... who knows? They both said that there were 'a lot' of questions they couldn't answer: define 'a lot'. No. 2 child said the comprehension today was 'middling', but hasn't gone into much detail otherwise.

There were about 100 children at Alcester High I think, and a certain amount of graffiti remained on the desks, but it will be a useful preparation for secondary school life (as described by my year 8 child).

Oh, and all candidates definitely sit the same test.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Having pressed my DCs a little more today I think the initial relief at having finished the test may have fuelled the "easy" comments. In the cold light of day they appear to be remembering the more difficult parts. :roll:

It sounds as if the first section in particular may have been a problem and the comp. may not have been as straightforward as it first appeared. NVR not too bad I think. Any other comments on NVR?

Must let go of it now. It's a long time til March and I'm becoming ever so slightly 11+ obsessed :?
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

i agree, in essence nothing to do till results are out in March, nothing they say will affect the outcome, they have done their best and thats the end of it.

For us, still KECH/KE aston to do in november and all the indies in Jan. Indies are so much easier than the grammars, fighting for the scholarships then.

Good luck to all.
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

son said nvr okay. Didn't finish one page of them.
He did say there was loads of stuff on the papers that he he hadn't seen before...
hurstchristina

Post by hurstchristina »

Mr Benn wrote:Any idea how many did the exam ? At Studley I would guess about 6 rows of 15 (roughly 100).
I would say there was approx 150 at Myton School, heard that 2000 took the exam in Warwickshire. Daughter seemed relatively happy with exam. I think every child who sat the exam is a winner it's a tough thing to do at 10/11. Mine was only ten in July so seemed little and young in comparison to most. So proud of her though what every happens.
neiljk

Post by neiljk »

I wouldn't worry too much about feedback from the kids. Son did it last year, we all found it a very stressful experience and he came out of the test having found large chunks of it very hard and having from what I could tell missed large swathes of the paper. Some others said they found it easy, bit of kidology going on I think with the kids and in the end it turned out he had sailed through it.

Our big worry last year was around him being the only one to miss out in his peer group of friends. In the end very few (in fact only one of his friends at school or rugby got in) passed.

Daughter did it yesterday. Some of it she found hard, some of it ok and she didn't manage to do all of the paper.

I don't think you can really tell from the feedback from the kids anyway. Having been through it all twice in 2 years now the most sensible thing I can say I think is to forget it now until 1st March and whatever will be, will be.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Well, it's all over bar the waiting now for you. Certainly the wait is lengthy and it can be hugely difficult to imagine getting through this until March. I have been through this twice in the last few years. I think it never really went to the back of my mind and it was THE most important thing. I saw it as 2 chunks - pre and post Xmas and that helped a bit.
I am sorry I didn't post earlier; I had a weekend away, but thought about you.
I really would not worry unnecessarily if your child says that they missed lots out...we had a very positive outcome last year despite what my daughter said about how the test had been.
Thank you for refraining from posting specifics about the test just yet, there will be others yet to do it.
Ed's Mum.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Here's an old thread which serves to remind us that there will still be others sitting the same exam:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =37&t=7701